Home

hitting with low power players

This is a discussion on hitting with low power players within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
hitting with low power players

does anyone other than me struggle with high contact low power players like dee gordon, and cesar hernandez. I find that they are always hittinf weak fly balls or grounders right at the middle infeilders. I use directional hitting so if anyone had any tips for hitting ill take them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: hitting with low power players

I influence down constantly with guys like Gordon, Mallex Smith, Billy Hamilton, etc. Up could turn a grounder into a liner, but I'd rather try to turn a fly into a liner with speedsters.

Lower those trajectories (hopefully) so more liners and grounders. Even slow grounders are better than lazy flies for these hitters.

Don't be afraid to power swing with them, also. That could give a hit the pop to split the gap instead of just a single or a risky double (might be a risk for triple instead if it gets through the gap). You have to pick your spots and do it only on pitches you see well and are where you want them, but it's not a bad idea if you're comfortable with doing it.

Influencing opposite field can help, too. Keeps you in the mind set to stay on it and go gap-to-gap and if they do hit it a bit late, maybe you go down the lines and attack the corner infielders more.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Unfortunately despite their promises that this year contact hitters would be more effective, they just aren't, it's gone further in the opposite direction.

If you're playing offline then I'd heavily recommend looking at Mike Lowe's sliders, in particular fielders speed and reactions, as that is a large part of the problem. Fielders cover far too much ground to consistently get hits on anything but very hard hit balls
Old 04-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

This has been a problem in the franchise since forever. It seems like there is too much weight put on "power" when it comes to how good of a hitter you are.

As you mentioned, someone like Dee Gordon effectively has 0 power (he hit 1 HR last year?) but he gets on a base a lot and does hit a lot of hard hit balls into the gap for doubles and triples.

They aren't some sexy StatCast, 115 MPH line drives, but they are still hard hit balls that get into the alleys.

The Show has been unable to replicate and/or distinguish the difference between a ball being hit well and a ball being hit hard. The two do not necessarily mean the same thing, but in The Show it does more times than not.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
This has been a problem in the franchise since forever. It seems like there is too much weight put on "power" when it comes to how good of a hitter you are.

As you mentioned, someone like Dee Gordon effectively has 0 power (he hit 1 HR last year?) but he gets on a base a lot and does hit a lot of hard hit balls into the gap for doubles and triples.

They aren't some sexy StatCast, 115 MPH line drives, but they are still hard hit balls that get into the alleys.

The Show has been unable to replicate and/or distinguish the difference between a ball being hit well and a ball being hit hard. The two do not necessarily mean the same thing, but in The Show it does more times than not.
I think they really struggle with the physics of just how quickly a ball moves in that first 50-100 feet, even when it's only hit 85mph. In real life a ball does not need to be hit very hard to make it through the infield if it's not within a couple of yards of an infielder, that's why the shift exists (and if it's over head height and not straight at someone, forget about it).

But in the show the fielders react so quickly and move so easily that you lose all those hits that low power guys live off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Either a down or a push influence is your best bet with these guys. The down influence will produce better ball trajectory overall.

Also: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ing-guide.html

Old 04-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

I've had horrible results with all guys like this in pretty much every past show, but not this year they've actually been some of my better hitters this year.

Ironically I don't change my approach when they're up as opposed to anyone else really, except never influencing up in any of the 3 directions.

I've been really successful with them using the contact swing this year, plenty of infield hits, bloopers, etc.

A question would be what are your fielder speed settings at? I use Armor's set and with him having it at 3 for Fielder speed and 3 for Fielder reaction is really working beautiful this year, as opposed to years before. I believe Mike Lowe has them at 2 and 2 and that was beautiful as well.

For my approach at the plate it's in my sig.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #8
Rookie

smokines3's Arena

Not to sound out of the loop, but by "influence" you guys simply mean your positioning of the PCI on directional correct?

Never mind... I was thinking zone for some reason.

Last edited by smokines3; 04-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »