Home

R.B.I. Baseball 18: Improved, But Still A Long Way To Go

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 18: Improved, But Still A Long Way To Go within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
R.B.I. Baseball 18: Improved, But Still A Long Way To Go

If there has ever been a series I have rooted for more than R.B.I. Baseball, I'm...

Written By: Chris Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Cheers for the review - I’m waiting for the switch version - hopefully it will contain same modes and stuff - the cut down franchise will probably suit the mobile format of the switch.

really bummed the HR mode is so limited........ shame as it doesn’t seem like opening up the mode would take masses of code or be that complicated.*

So many times games fall down with not including simple options....... is it a case of not talking to gamers?? I really don’t understand. NBA playgrounds is one that with a few simple additions - none in game play - that would have taken that game to next level*
Old 04-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Rookie

tfcfan4life's Arena

OVR: 0
Nice review! Thanks for this.

Glad to hear that it's an improvement. That's all we can ask for since this is the only baseball game that we can enjoy on the Xbox One. Let's hope they continue to add and improve on the game. Make it accessible to both arcade and sim baseball fans.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #4
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 18: Improved, But Still A Long Way To Go

Good review...

My two cents is that I can easily recommend this game to a Xbox-only gamer who is a big baseball fan (and I didn't like '17 AT ALL).

The models look different enough that it feels like you are batting with Altuve or Judge. The gameplay is solid (although I've gotten some framerate stuttering on fast hit balls with multiple people on base), most notably I was pleasantly surprised by the hit variety.

In the end I wish they had done just a few things to make this version even more FUN: Legends in exhibition mode, more dynamic sounds (organ music, crowd, PA), a customizable playoff mode where I can handpick the participants, maybe replays for big moments (robbed home runs or walk off home runs) or even cutscenes for bang-bang plays like a close out at first base or home plate (think SNK Baseball Stars 2).

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 04-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Rookie

bodean's Arena

OVR: 6
I’ll *be saving my money for sure this year!!! Haven’t seen one review saying this game is anything better than a mediocre AAA game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Rookie

Game is so much better, however, pitchers do feel the same as well as hitters. *I remember playing and two or three guys would always get a hit or two or three guys would throw 100 plus. *I liked the exaggerated players in original back in 90's. *also, it used to be the most strategic game I ever played. *You only had 4 pitchers and once they got tired you were in trouble. *Heck I wish *it would carry over to next game. *Real baseball is boring, this is what separated *RBI. *Quick fun, yet strategic with simple pitchers get tired. *Also the fact that we would argue over teams because one guy alway hit a hr was the best. *With this game, it's good. *Hate the replay after hr, you don't need one, don't need announcer, don't need camera angles, don't need camera to change after hr, give me some suspense while it is going in air towards fence. *Next year just give us a hefty create team *and logo, *change players names and appearance. This *I will put over top.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Rookie

I have not yet picked the game up, sorting through the various comments, reviews, and criticisms. I think the new generation of gamers may feel frustrated by how the game looks, plays, and simple controls. I think the intent is to give it a retro look and feel and not to have the best presentation of a game available. The comment above about having the players pitch and hit differently is spot on; that would bring much more appeal to the game for everyone, old gamers like me and the new ones. For an Xbox One guy, it's this or essentially nothing with real teams and players. So, the bottom line is, is the reward equal to or greater than the $30? Love to hear any opinions.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Rookie

For 30$ is definitely a buy it’s fun and the developers are working hard to make the game better..

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »