Home

Dice based games and PC versions

This is a discussion on Dice based games and PC versions within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Dice based games and PC versions

While I'm not as young as most video gamers today, I am completely unaware of this type of game and I'm also completely shocked because with my limited knowledge, I was convinced that OOTP was the quintessential simulation 'replay of a season' type game. And so I couldn't understand why you needed to do so much franchise managing which I really can't stand. I play simulation/action baseball games (MVP, High Heat, 2K) and only do single seasons with every single managerial function turned off. I want a mathematical reproduction of a season game by game. I would have thought that outside of OOTP, no text based sim could do that and for some reason in my head thinking of Strat and others as "dice-based", I figured it must involve very detailed stat-keeping, sure, and accurate rosters, but with rolls of the dice randomly selecting outcomes of players rather than in any way being statistically accurate. I'm doing some reading and finding that Strat-o-matic and others like it and, in fact, not OOTP are more like stats-rich, if you will.

Is it possible for someone to explain to me how a game like Stratomatic works, then? Just to get an idea of how a few at bats work? In the text based/dice based world, I'm much more interested in something that is what people call "season replays without progression" because that's how I play all my sports video games anyway.

Thanks, guys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 19
Re: Dice based games and PC versions

In Strat's PC game you can manually enter the dice rolls and the game does the rest. Reads the charts, tracks the stats, etc. The game will also randomly generate dice rolls, too.

The PC version allows you to play the games one at a time, or you can speed play a game, or as many games at a time as you want. If you want to use the speed play method, you have to complete a computer manager. You set your lineups, pitching rotations, bullpen usage and other substitution options. The accuracy of the stats you get are realistic. The cards and ratings are the DNA of the game engine. While it lacks the visuals of what people are used to in The Show and other games, the sim game play aspect is my favorite of all games.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ
In Strat's PC game...
Ok, but I don't understand, I also need to have these cards? There's none of these types of games that just play with software? I want to find one that is as good as Strat but has a demo I can try.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

If you're looking for a PC game based off a dice board game, I highly recommend PC Replay Baseball.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
If you're looking for a PC game based off a dice board game, I highly recommend PC Replay Baseball.
Well, that's exactly what my question was, I have no idea what it is I'm looking for because I don't know what these are yet. I was pretty thorough in my post what information it is I'm looking for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Try SBS bb or Dombrov bb.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57oceanlover
Try SBS bb or Dombrov bb.
Never heard of SBS. Is there something more recent than 2015 though? Looks like the last update on the site.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 0

You should check out youtube, there are a ton of videos for different c&d/pc games.

Here is a quick SOM game on PC. I will say though that strat is better on PC once you have played the c&d version as it gives you a better feel for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WTBfVGPXzo

Last edited by Will I Am; 04-05-2018 at 12:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »