Home

Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1
Stealing

Can anyone give some tips on stealing? In past games, i could take a one step lead and have pretty good success. Thos year with a one step lead i am getting thrown out at a good clip with guys who have good speed. Ive tried a 2 step lead but its almost an automatic pickoff by the computer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Rookie

ezevthokie9's Arena

Re: Stealing

I never steal on guys who throw 95+. I also try to steal in off-speed counts (0-1, 1-2, etc). Check the pitch confidence too; if he's really confident on off-speed pitches then he'll throw more of those outside of predictable situations.

When you slide, use the head-first slide to the far side of the bag. I have been beat by the ball (split second) and that slide has helped me avoid the tag.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezevthokie9
I never steal on guys who throw 95+. I also try to steal in off-speed counts (0-1, 1-2, etc). Check the pitch confidence too; if he's really confident on off-speed pitches then he'll throw more of those outside of predictable situations.

When you slide, use the head-first slide to the far side of the bag. I have been beat by the ball (split second) and that slide has helped me avoid the tag.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice. How do i control the slide? The computer seems to dictate which way i slide most of the time.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezevthokie9

Hope this helps!
I'd throw in try to time your jump. I get the extra step lead if the pitcher will allow it, and then trigger the steal by tapping L2. Then try to hit L1 half a second before the pitcher comes to the plate. That'll get your player going to the bag quicker.

It's dangerous though, because if you jump too soon the pitcher will just step off and throw in front of you. But if you practice enough and pay attention to the pitcher when you've got runners on, you can generally get a good idea.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Thanks for the advice. How do i control the slide? The computer seems to dictate which way i slide most of the time.
For a headfirst slide, push the left stick forward. For the slide described (headfirst and outside of bag) push left stick forward and a bit to the right, say
one or two o'clock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
MVP

PhlliesPhan6's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm having the same frustration of stealing. If I take a big lead I'm pretty much automatically picked off. If I don't take a lead I'm not even close. It seems like even pitchers with a slow delivery to the plate my baser runner will wait until he's almost finished his wind up to take off.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

What I have been doing lately that's been helping, is immediately pressing R1 to go back to first if I get a bad jump. The catcher will throw to 2nd 99.9% of the time giving you a safe slide back to first. You have to do it fairly quickly after the attempt though or they will have enough time to pick you off if you don't make the choice until your halfway through the steal attempt.

I am one of the people to doesn't just tap R2 and let my guy take over. I hold R2 and try and time the jump myself. The problem is the jumps seem completely random this year and user input has no effect whatsoever. The good news is you should know right away if you have a bad jump or not. If your guy is not already headed to second when the pitcher makes his initial move to the plate you will not make it to second. So if your base runner doesn't make the jump the second the pitcher makes his initial move, just jam on the R1 button and you'll be back safe at first 99.9% of the time.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Can anyone give some tips on stealing? In past games, i could take a one step lead and have pretty good success. Thos year with a one step lead i am getting thrown out at a good clip with guys who have good speed. Ive tried a 2 step lead but its almost an automatic pickoff by the computer.
If you're stealing in predictable situations, it may be that the CPU is using a slide step on you. Those deliver the ball with the pitching motion of a pitchout (so it comes out quicker), but with a hit to accuracy. Even the fastest guys can get thrown out on a slide step fastball, because it's not very different from a pitchout. If you catch a pitcher in his full stretch motion, even 50-60 speed guys can swipe a bag (depending on the catcher's arm)

And...don't take more than a 1 step (1 L1 press) lead. You're begging for the CPU to pick you off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »