Home

Hetfield's MLB The Show 18 Franchise Fantasy Draft Order

This is a discussion on Hetfield's MLB The Show 18 Franchise Fantasy Draft Order within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Rookie

hetfield426's Arena

OVR: 3
Hetfield's MLB The Show 18 Franchise Fantasy Draft Order

Greetings again, Show Community!

So every year, despite the new and improved game modes that come out for major electronic sports franchises, I still find myself mostly obsessed with my favorite element of these games: the franchise mode fantasy draft. Whoever conceived the idea deserves no less than 3 Nobel Peace Prizes.

Anyway, though the concept has given me tremendous joy and infinite hours of exciting gameplay and management decisions, it has also given me frustration, especially during the initial snake draft process. I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to drafting from scratch, so there are countless times where I have abandoned teams after the first few rounds and restarted several more times thereafter.

As was done last year, I have essentially simulated all 30 picks of the first 25 rounds (for the active roster) of a Fantasy Draft in Franchise Mode with the most recent rosters as of today and recorded the results. Since automatically simulating the draft takes you immediately to the franchise home screen and doesn't allow you to view the draft summary, I just selected one User team and picked everyone using the "Recommend Player" function, and then picked based on overall rating and age trends.

The positions have been color-coded in the following manner for easier viewing:

SP Red
RP/CP Orange
C Yellow
1B/3B Green
2B/SS Light Blue
LF/RF Dark Blue
CF Pink

While this certainly does take some of the fun out of drafting organically with no expectation of what will happen, I myself have done the draft mode so many times that at this point I already know vaguely what's going to happen, so I figured I might as well put it all down on paper and use it as a guide, and boy is it helpful. For example, The Show 18 still has the infamous Round 9 Relief Pitcher Extravaganza, meaning Andrew Miller never gets taken by simulation until the first pick of that round. This has led me to officially deem the 8th round as "Miller Time", as not picking him as a later-round steal is almost criminally asinine.

That said, I have attached the spreadsheets as PDFs for viewing. I now have two versions, the SCEA official roster and the OSFM roster. Unfortunately, since OS for some reason doesn't allow uploads of spreadsheet files directly, I am offering to email either to anyone who would want to have an editable copy. I'm also planning on up****** this every month or so, as the changing ratings and sometimes positions do have an impact on when certain players tend to go.

Also, keep in mind this is only based on one simulation and doesn't guarantee when players will get picked. This year definitely has the most variation in player drafting that I've seen, and is completely based on overall trade value and not on overall. Definitely yields a more realistic and fun mode!

Have lots of fun and let me know if you'd like an editable copy of either! Cheers!

Last edited by hetfield426; 04-02-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Hetfield's MLB The Show 18 Franchise Fantasy Draft Order

Thank you. Always enjoy this as well. Have to do the same thing once OSFM drops.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

Nice work, I also just did the same thing before checking for your post, with the osfm vers. 1 roster being dropped. If people would be interested in that let me know. Otherwise, good luck drafting, and hopefully actually playing games, unlike me!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerjtreys
Nice work, I also just did the same thing before checking for your post, with the osfm vers. 1 roster being dropped. If people would be interested in that let me know. Otherwise, good luck drafting, and hopefully actually playing games, unlike me!
Would love to see that!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetfield426
This has led me to officially deem the 8th round as "Miller Time", as not picking him as a later-round steal is almost criminally asinine.
I don't know why, but I laughed way too hard when I read this line.

I'm going to have to borrow your term "criminally asinine."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Rookie

hetfield426's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerjtreys
I relate very much to this comment.

That being said, I can see there would be some demand for an OSFM version, so I'll get on that in due time and share it as a separate attachment for those who use that roster!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Rookie

hetfield426's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcgt27
I don't know why, but I laughed way too hard when I read this line.

I'm going to have to borrow your term "criminally asinine."
You are totally free to use it! I promise it'll come in handy
Old 04-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Rookie

SethMurphy's Arena

I always love your lists, just had two questions.

I can't remember, but do your lists always read top to bottom, or do they snake. I/E Is Trea Turner the first pick of Round 2 or is Corey Kluber?

Also, do you plan on re-doing this with the OSFM rosters and real prospects included?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »