Home

How do you stop from starting over??

This is a discussion on How do you stop from starting over?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How do you stop from starting over??

Help!!! I buy this game every year. I love playing it, but I have OCD and keep starting over. I go through all of the work of setting up my 30-team control Yankees and Mets franchises. Then I get 9-10 games in to each franchise. Then I have that “off night” when I’m playing and I can’t seem to concentrate, swing at bad pitches, make horrible pitching decisions, etc. I then get frustrated and fast forward to the end of the game. Then I feel like I’ve “cheated the game” and feel the need to start my whole franchise over again. I’m embarrassed to say this, but I have never made it past 25 games in a season. Keep playing the same games over and over again.

How do you fight the urge to start over again if you have a bad game because you can’t concentrate (tired, can’t focus, etc)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Surg2k's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How do you stop from starting over??

I think we should start a group for folks like us! I have the same issue, or Ill do all the work even type out the roster from MLB to single A, write up a farm report and then 5-10 games in go hmm maybe I dont like this team after all. I have done that 3-5 times in the last week. As much time as I take to start a team and do all the work I could of got through 3 seasons this year
Old 03-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Having a Carryover Franchise in 2020, I have too much invested to start over. I think you have to go into it understanding that baseball is a long grind, that has its ups and downs. And it usually balances out over a season. If it is too much of a struggle, then difficulty and slider adjustments go a long way. I usually judge by hits and amount of runs being realistic (on both sides) for the talent available. I have a pretty good slider set that yields realistic results.

I've never controlled more than one team either, just always worried about mine and let the league balance as it may. I started my Franchise in MLB 13 with anticipation of carrying it over with new Y2Y saves. That said, players like Kris Bryant, George Springer, Carlos Correa, Noah Sydnegaard, etc. are actually CAPS (from OSFM '13) in my franchise, but have progressed pretty true-to-life in game. Another thing I did before each series to make it more interesting, was to go into the CPU roster and refresh all the CAPS appearances and equipment, to be more accurate. I never adjust attributes though. For my team, it's fun watching certain players develop, as well as watching players I've traded or faced develop over time.

I guess, I am sort of "redirecting" my OCD to other areas, lol.

Edit:

Here's a few of Franchise videos, from the same franchise. I think they do a good job of showing how both my Franchise, and the game has evolved over the years. My CAP Springer in MLB 17 looks totally different than the one in MLB 14.

Spoiler

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

YouTube

Last edited by thaSLAB; 03-14-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Surg2k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB

I've never controlled more than one team either, just always worried about mine and let the league balance as it may. I started my Franchise in MLB 13 with anticipation of carrying it over with new Y2Y saves. That said, players like Kris Bryant, George Springer, Carlos Correa, Noah Sydnegaard, etc. are actually CAPS (from OSFM '13) in my franchise, but have progressed pretty true-to-life in game. Another thing I did before each series to make it more interesting, was to go into the CPU roster and refresh all the CAPS appearances and equipment, to be more accurate. I never adjust attributes though. For my team, it's fun watching certain players develop, as well as watching players I've traded or faced develop over time.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
so you do not do 30 team control?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Take a couple days off then keep playing. That is what I always did with my NCAA dynasties if the game froze or something. Sleep it off and keep moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OP - If you fast finish a game that you have played poorly in I presume that your team ends up losing that game. If that's the case then I view that as cheating yourself (from a chance to come back) rather than cheating the game.

Cheating the game in my opinion is when you play poorly and then bail out by closing the application so you get to restart a game that you were losing over again.

I do this more often than I care to admit in public. My 'solution' is that if I'm winning the do-over game, I'll quit that one too and then play the third try for keeps. Kind of lame but at least I can get through a long season that way with some semblance of a clear conscience.

Last edited by mrsaito; 03-14-2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Rookie

bravo2208's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Take a couple days off then keep playing. That is what I always did with my NCAA dynasties if the game froze or something. Sleep it off and keep moving.
Agreed. I had the same problem as OP for years, then I switched up my routine for Madden 18. I play every single franchise game so frustration is inevitable. You have to know when to walk away, otherwise the negativity will keep piling on. Sometimes I would take 3-4 days off and when I returned the game felt fresh again. I also felt sharper, more focused. It's hard at first, but give it a try, OP.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess
How do you fight the urge to start over again if you have a bad game because you can’t concentrate (tired, can’t focus, etc)

I say "that's baseball, I gotta do better, play better" and play the next game.

Or if I'm too tired (I've literally fallen asleep when I play too late at night (like 4 AM) and wake up to the bases loaded and I'm like...how did that happen? Answer: BB, HBP, K, K, WP, BB), I'll put the PS4 in rest mode and pick it up the next day.

But I never redo games, win or lose, ugly or not. Many a game, win/lose, I've said "Wow that was an ugly game" or "I hate how that played even though I won".

But that's sports, that's baseball, that's life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »