Home

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4)

This is a discussion on Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 8
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4)

This game just released yesterday, and I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand it's very cool playing with characters like Tera (FF6), Sephiroth (FF7) and Lightning (FF13). I think the game is kind of shallow though.

I hoping for something more similar to Dragonball Xenoverse. A kind of RPG/fighting game with some kind of a story. Instead there is a fighting game with some RPG sprinkles, and no real story to work through.

The only options for play are:
Online battles
Offline "Gauntlet" - Basically just a random series of 6 consecutive battles to try and get a high score

As you play you get points for how well you do. You have a player score and a character score. The player score is basically an accumulated rank from all characters. You get certain rewards like Gil (money) and player icons as you rank up. The character's also rank up with use, and as they rank up they unlock additional skills. For instance, a level 1 character only has 2 skills to work with on their skill palette (max of 2 skills). A Poisonaga and an Attack buff. As you rank up you can exchange those for like a HP regen skill or extra defense.

The additional skills do help, but I would have liked an actual leveling system like in Xenoverse to go along with it. It also would have been cool to be able to upgrade your equipment. You can buy new swords, costumes, etc, but as far as I can tell they are all cosmetic.

The combat itself is fine. The camera angles get a bit weird when someone is in the air, and the controls take some getting used to because it plays differently than a lot of other fighting games. It's pretty cool launching fire and ice attacks from your favorite FF character though.

I think my main complaint is that this just doesn't feel like a full game. If you don't play online versus other players then the only thing that is really left for you to do is play through these gauntlet scenarios against the AI for a high score. Even a basic fighting game story mode from something like Dead or Alive where you get a different ending with each character you win the tournament with would have been better. Playing a tournament of 6 matches for a high score with no story, and barely any non-cosmetic customization options is disappointing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
T*g*r's Sw*ng - M*ck*ls*n's M*n B**bs

injunwal's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4)

I thought I read there is a story mode that you unlock in "sections" as you win points from online battles and offline gauntlets
Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunwal
I thought I read there is a story mode that you unlock in "sections" as you win points from online battles and offline gauntlets
So yeah there is a kind of story mode. As you run through the gauntlet you unlock tokens which you can use on a separate grid to unlock cutscenes.

It just feels very disconnected though. Those cutscenes don't necessarily pertain to whatever character you just played as.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »