Home

2018 Fitness Challenge

This is a discussion on 2018 Fitness Challenge within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
2018 Fitness Challenge

2018 ... let's get after it!

For those that are new here, welcome. Returning folk, you know the drill.

T-minus 12 days to the Rock N' Roll Half-Marathon here in AZ. I'm pleased with my training for the race; ran close to 11 miles on New Year's Eve and that was my third straight week of getting in one weekly run of 10-plus miles.

I'll start backing off on the mileage a bit as I move closer to race day. Don't need to overdue it and risk injury at this stage.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: 2018 Fitness Challenge

I got a couple set of dumbbells for Christmas so hopefully I can add a little bit of bulk to my exercising this year.

I'm still sticking with the Hasfit routines. They put out a calendar of routines every month for those that have gone through their other workouts. Nothing is as challenging, overall, as Insanity's routines, but then again they become so repetitious that it probably makes little difference.

Hasfit does a great job of changing routines up and mixing in cardio, strength, and stretching/core. There's some light days and some huffing-and-puffing days, but overall I think it's a much better total body workout compared to Insanity.

Plus, it's free.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Started doing Beachbody's Body Beast set about 5-6 weeks ago. Stuck with phase 1 through the holidays knowing I'd miss multiple days. Going to do it this week again then go into the "bulk" phase. It's usually either super sets, or reps of 15,12,8,8 with the 8s being a drop set. First time doing weight lifting like this. I think bulk goes sets of 5 5 5 5 5, and 15,12,8,8,12,15.

After just this short amount of time it appears that my lanky biceps muscles are already a little bigger when I'm not flexing or anything. After I finish this I'm going to re-incorporate sprinting and heavy cardio back into the mix. Will be interesting to see how doing legs with weights will affect my straight line speed.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm in the worst shape of my life since we had our baby in mid January of 2017. I've been in great shape for most of my life and turned 41 this December but a year of not working out and eating bad food really has made me feel depressed about my appearance. I lost a lot of muscle and just feel tired all the time. I really need to get back into things but due to budget reasons I canceled my gym membership 3 months ago. I'm going to set aside time at night to do yoga and lift. I work in IT at a hospital and walk a lot during the workday so cardio will be taken care of while I'm working. I can easily do 7,000 steps just then.

On the flip side I used Christmas money to buy a weight set and yoga mat. I have DDP Yoga DVD's I bought a year ago and used for a week before going back to not working out. Now I've been building up a home gym in the basement and on January 8th I will start in on my new workout routine. My wife got us both a Fitbit for Christmas so I'll be tracking my steps as well. I'm going to use my old SparkPeople ap to track what I'm eating and my wife and I are already making up menu's for the week.

2018 will be the year I get back into shape after a very unhealthy 2017.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves

Last edited by Herky; 01-02-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

I had turned things around but after my kid's birth in August and constant moving around while waiting for our house to be completed has seen me up the weight again. Nothing horrible but I have a little belly again.

Anyways, the gym at my college opened today and I logged 3 miles for the first time in about 5 months. It hurt and I'm sore but I'm glad to be back on it again.

Going along with that, I think I will start lifting some weights again. I'm not trying to get super ripped but it would be nice to build a little more muscle. Does anyone have any good plans I can follow? I have experience lifting but not with making plans. I don't really know how to do a balanced plan. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct32
I had turned things around but after my kid's birth in August and constant moving around while waiting for our house to be completed has seen me up the weight again. Nothing horrible but I have a little belly again.

Anyways, the gym at my college opened today and I logged 3 miles for the first time in about 5 months. It hurt and I'm sore but I'm glad to be back on it again.

Going along with that, I think I will start lifting some weights again. I'm not trying to get super ripped but it would be nice to build a little more muscle. Does anyone have any good plans I can follow? I have experience lifting but not with making plans. I don't really know how to do a balanced plan. Any help would be appreciated.
This is a good 3-day, total body program:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...re-ripped.html
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I'm hitting it hard to start the New Year. 2017 was actually a pretty good year for me. I went from 224 to 195 during the middle of the year. However, fell back into my normal cycle of stuffing my face during football season and holiday over indulgence. Due to this I started 2018 at 211, but still down 13 pounds overall so not too bad...

I'm getting back on the 21-Day Fix (which is really just portion control) and basketball 3-4 days a week. I'm hoping to be out of the "2's" by the end of the month.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I used to be in shape, at least not fat, but after years of battling depression and just pure laziness, I've gotten out of shape. With the passing of my mom in November and seeing how bad of shape my Dad is in, I decided that I need to get committed to doing something so that my kids don't have be without me at a relatively young age.

I turn 40 in October and have committed to being in shape, or at least better shape by then. I don't do gyms or workout tapes or regimens or anything of the sort. I guess maybe I should, but basically I just run/walk, do pushups/situps, work outside, and a little weight lifting.

Anyways, we'll see how this goes.

#committedtolosingthedadbod

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »