Home

EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This is a discussion on EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

This last week Star Wars: Battlefront II fans were able to do something that many have tried before... That is force EA to make a change in how they approach their recent release.

For those of you that are unaware, thanks to a reddit post that gained plenty of steam from other followers, EA's Marketing Strategy to pay for upgrades and new releases was put in the spotlight. After receiving a ton of grief, EA then released the following statement and action:

What does this mean for Madden?
Those of you familiar with Madden, NBA Live, Battlefield, or any other EA game are extremely familiar with with EA's "pay to play" strategy. This is extremely prevalent for Madden's My Ultimate Team where a huge emphasis is put on users paying real money in hopes of getting a good player card out of a pack of cards.

This model has received plenty of criticism in the past, as users made several arguments such as:
-The ethics of paying real money and rewarding money over skill
-The "E Rating" despite some making the argument that it is borderline "gambling"
-Other game modes taking a backseat to MUT

Before comparing "apples to oranges" between "Battlefront and Madden", the similar system that EA has relied so heavily on has come under fire from not only the players, but a much more important to entity to EA... That entity is The Investors.

In a CNBC article, EA appears to be in a touch position with not only displeasing their fans, but displeasing the investors to the company.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wall...wars-game.html

Is the sky falling for EA? Absolutely not.

However now that their heavily criticised system has come under fire, and EA showing the willingness to make a change to their game given enough criticism shows an opportunity for other EA titles to make a push with EA for a change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: EA's Monetary Strategy Under Fire- Time for Change?

Maybe we can force a discussion at OS like the one over at Reddit. From that point, maybe we can force EA to stop making MUT and that will lead EA to lesson their earnings overall and force the investors to bail. Once the investors bail, EA will stop producing Madden and another gaming company will be able to swoop in and a produce a real NFL game.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Rookie

I don't think you've even seen the worst yet when it comes to Madden. 2K's stock has made big gains this year and I think the entire sport niche is going to take notice at how efficiently and effectively they've forced consumers to pocket up more cash if they want to have a pleasurable experience day 1. We don't even have to get into the shady stuff, like patching and editing the game so user's individual players fail to live to expectations - encouraging them to create new ones and pony up more cash.

2K has really figured out how to bend the consumer over the table, so to speak, this year. You can't play MyCareer (realistically) unless you drop the money, which is something you don't have to worry about in Madden. Both products offer card games that generate revenue as well.

If anything Madden is leaving money out there. I think we can probably expect, in the future, to see something similar within that game until the community as a whole has had enough.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

It's my understanding that Disney, who EA has exclusive rights with to use Star Wars, is the one who forced EA's hands with Battlefront. Not the fans voice or the thread on Reddit.

If that's true, it would take the NFL stepping up and voicing their displeasure with microtransactions and negative feedback which as we all know, we are in the minority with regards to how we feel about Madden.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Was just gonna post this, Disney is the reason for the change. EA of course acted like it was the fan backlash that did it, it wasn’t. Don’t look for anything to change MUT wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

I don't know the details of what happened with Battlefront, but weren't they making you pay to use certain characters? I don't see Madden ever going in that direction where for instance, you need to pay extra to be able to use a certain player
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I don't know the details of what happened with Battlefront, but weren't they making you pay to use certain characters? I don't see Madden ever going in that direction where for instance, you need to pay extra to be able to use a certain player
Maybe a hisrorical player but not a current one.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Maybe a hisrorical player but not a current one.
That wouldn't bother me. I buy the game to play with current teams/players, but if there was a historical guy I thought was worth paying to have I'd do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »