Home

Adding Replayability to Franchise

This is a discussion on Adding Replayability to Franchise within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Adding Replayability to Franchise

HOW CAN WE ADD REPLAYABILITY TO MADDEN?

During a recent interview with Rex Dickson, Rex expressed the idea of incorporating a feature/ reward system to entice Madden players to continue playing and do more than just “win a Super Bowl and repeat”. Many ideas have been tossed around on these forums, and it appears the idea of ranking people online is not what the community wants. I believe the answer has been in Madden for some time now, but it has not yet been used properly. The idea would be a legacy tracker/ hall of fame chaser.

Hall of Fame
One of the greatest honors in all of football is to be inducted into the hall of fame. The only thing Madden has to show for the Hall of Fame is a one sentence tweet hidden amongst the news feed immediately after the season.

One thing that would add an extra element to a franchise is fighting with other players (online or offline) for a spot in the hall of fame and a shot of "Being the G.O.A.T. The tracking measurement for this would be Legacy Points.

Compared to all other players currently fighting for a position in the hall of fame, legacy points would be used to measure who is in and who is out. Each position would have different standards and bench marks to get into the hall of fame so that way lineman would have just as much chance at making it in as a quarterback.

Legacy Points: Stats

Statistical Legacy Points would be added up very similarly to an already existing formula. That formula is fantasy football scoring. Fantasy scoring is the perfect way to measure the statistical numbers that players put up. Scoring would go as such (open different scoring features):

Offensive Players
Passing Yards: 1 point per 25 yards
Passing Touchdowns: 4 points
Passing Interceptions: -2 points
Rushing Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
Rushing Touchdowns: 6 points
Receptions: 1 points
Receiving Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
Receiving Touchdowns: 6 points
Fumbles Lost: -2 points
Fumble Recovered for a Touchdown: 6 points
Individual Defensive Players
Solo Tackles: 1 point
Assisted Tackles: ½ point
Sacks: 4 points
Sack Yards: 1 point per 10 yards
Tackles For Loss: 1 point
Quarterback Hits: 1 point
Passes Defended: 1 point
Interceptions: 4 points
Fumbles Forced: 3 points
Fumbles Recovered: 3 points
Defensive Touchdowns: 6 points
Kicking
PAT Made: 1 point
FG Made (0-49 yards): 3 points
FG Made (50+ yards): 5 points

As an example, I will use a few famous NFL players by their career;
Joe Montana: YDS 40,551 (1622 pts)+ TDS 273 (1092 pts)- INT 96 (-192 pts)= 2522pts
Brett Favre: YDS 71,838 (2,874 pts)+ TDS 508 (2,032 pts)- INT 336 (-672 pts)= 4234pts

Walter Payton: YDS 16,726 (1673 pts)+ TDS 110 (660 pts)+REC 492 (492 pts)+RYDS 4538 (454 pts) RTDS 15 (90pts)= 3369pts
Ladanian Tomlinson:YDS 13,684 (1368 pts)+ TDS 145 (870 pts)+ REC 624 (624 pts)+ RYDS 4772 (477 pts) RTDS 17 (102pts)= 3441pts

Jerry Rice: YDS 22,895 (2,290pts)+ REC 1549 (1549 pts)+ TDS 197 (1182pts)= 5021pts
Michael Irvin: YDS 11904 (1190 pts)+ REC 750 (750pts)+ TDS 65 (390pts) =2330pts

Reggie White: TKL 1048 (1048 pts)+ Sack 198 (792 pts)=1840pts
Lawrence Taylor: 1089 (1089 pts)+ Sack 132.5 (530 pts)+ Ints 9 (36)= 1655pts
Granted not every stat was included into this such as kick return yards, defensive touchdowns, fumbles, etc… This is just a base idea.

Legacy Points: Success
Now of course we know that there is more to tracking someone’s legacy/ HOF progress than just stats. Another factor into a players success is can they win? To add to the formula are total wins, rivalry wins, playoff wins, and super bowl wins. The points for such would go like:

Home Win: 4 pts
Road Win: 5 pts
Rivalry/ Division Win: 10 pts
Win the Division: 25pts
Wildcard Win: 20 pts
Divisional Round Win: 50 pts
Conference Championship Win: 100 pts
Super Bowl Win: 200 pts
These numbers would be divided in half for bench players.

To add these numbers to our previous players:
Joe Montana: Stats (2522 pts)+ Wins 117 (468pts)+ Playoff Wins 12 (600pts)+ Conference 4 (400pts)+ SB 4 (800pts)= 4709 pts
Brett Favre: Stats (4234 pts)+ Wins 186 (744pts)+Playoff Wins 11 (550pts)+ Conference 1 (100pts)+ SB 1 (200pts)= 5828 pts

ints: Awards[/u][/b]

To add to the legacy of most NFL Players, another huge consideration is the hardware that the bring home. These can be calculated by the following:

Rookie of the _____.
Week: 5pts
Year: 50 pts

Player of the _____.
Week: 10 pts
Year: 100 pts

NFL MVP: 150 pts

Pro-Bowl 25 pts

NFL Top 100
100-Ranking= PT Total
1st= 99 pts
19th= 81pts

Game MVP
Regular Season: 5pts
Playoff: 25pts
Super Bowl: 150 pts

To add to the QB points (excluding game MVPs and weekly awards)

Joe Montana: 4709 pts+ Pro Bowls 8 (200pts)+ NFL MVP 2 (300pts)+ SB MVP 3 (450pts)= 5659 pts
Brett Favre: 5828 pts+ Pro Bowls 11 (275pts)+ NFL MVP 3 (450pts)+ SB MVP 0= 6553 pts

Granted, a players success is not as simple as breaking down numbers, wins, and awards. There will always be the Brady vs Montana vs Manning debate. There are even some factors that are hard to account for like considering the talent around a player or the success of a team. Reason why people regards Jim Brown or Barry Sander better than Emmitt Smith despite all the records and Super Bowls.

What would be other scoring features for legacy points? Is there something I missed, over/ under valued? Share your thoughts.

Records and Rewards
Now that we have a method of tracking success, it is time Madden makes recording breaking exciting and something to brag about. How does Madden celebrate/ reward a record getting broken? There are several answer to these questions:

Cards/ Trophies: Anytime you pass a players significant career stat line, you can unlock a MUT card for that player. For example, if you have a franchise were Adrian Peterson is your running back, and he passes Eric Dickerson on the all-time rushing yard list, you unlock one of his MUT cards. If you then pass Eric Dickerson in career TD’s, you get another card. If you collect both, you can then unlock THE ERIC DICKERSON MUT card with a 99 overall rating. This allows you to experience both franchise mode and MUT if you wish making you feel more invested and pride, as well as educated on a little NFL history. The ultimate goal for a running back would be to ultimately break Emmitt Smith’s records.

Celebration: Similar to a Super Bowl victory, if you have a player like Drew Brees pass Peyton Manning for most passing yards all-time, the game would stop and recognize Brees and his efforts. It would be the main story of the week, and almost every game after would mention Brees’ record.

Share: As well as tracked within your CFM, your players legacy scores could be tracker online as well, and compared to everyone else that plays Madden. If you have a 14 year career with Leonard Fournette, and rack-up more legacy points than Emmitt Smith, you could see where your 9,010 legacy points rank up compared to someone who may have achieved 10,034 legacy points with Dalvin Cook.

If you have made it this far, I thank you and would like to hear your feedback or ideas on what Madden can do to add replayability to the franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Re: Adding Replayability to Franchise

Players need a personality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
MVP

saintrules's Arena

I can definitely appreciate a longer post with a well thought out idea. +1 buddy.

I think tracking the legacy of a player is definitely a good idea. The NFL is more player focused over team. Yet, Madden 18's CFM barely differentiates each player...there's almost no uniqueness minus their OVR & style of play (one cut, speed, red zone, playmaker)...so I think this is a good idea. I'd like to see the news & media address someone who is doing something incredible, like on pace for 30 TD's or getting onto an All Time list. Records are big on TV so why are they so small on the video game?

I'm not so hot on tracking my CFM to other people's, that's mostly why I don't play online, I don't care what others are doing. That's just me, maybe others feel differently.

In terms of my thoughts for replay, it all still boils down to some sort of legacy or coaching mode like NCAA 14. I don't want to play with the same franchise for 15 seasons & I definitely don't want to do a 32 team control CFM. I need something to do other than try and win the super bowl every season, it gets old fast.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
I can definitely appreciate a longer post with a well thought out idea. +1 buddy.

I think tracking the legacy of a player is definitely a good idea. The NFL is more player focused over team. Yet, Madden 18's CFM barely differentiates each player...there's almost no uniqueness minus their OVR & style of play (one cut, speed, red zone, playmaker)...so I think this is a good idea. I'd like to see the news & media address someone who is doing something incredible, like on pace for 30 TD's or getting onto an All Time list. Records are big on TV so why are they so small on the video game?

I'm not so hot on tracking my CFM to other people's, that's mostly why I don't play online, I don't care what others are doing. That's just me, maybe others feel differently.

In terms of my thoughts for replay, it all still boils down to some sort of legacy or coaching mode like NCAA 14. I don't want to play with the same franchise for 15 seasons & I definitely don't want to do a 32 team control CFM. I need something to do other than try and win the super bowl every season, it gets old fast.

Which this brings me to another point...

Every season in CFM feels disconnected from the year prior, which completely COMPLETELY kills my immersion. I don't think I've heard the commentary ever say something like "and here's Dallas, the defending Super Bowl Champions..." ...it's basically like it resets itself every season & has short term memory loss. Come on man, it's 2017.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Maybe it would get the online CFM guys juices going, idk. I feel like it is odd to compare single player franchises.

I can see it helping with making people want to play as a player rather than a coach or owner just for that competitive aspect. Although I think it would also help if playing as a player was more entertaining than staring at wet cardboard lol.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules

I will admit that the idea of an online legacy tracker does not sound fun. However, it does not harm in throwing that feature out there.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

They added the legacy thing LONG ago and no one cares for it now, why would they later

CFM needs story, tough decisions, real decisions.

To do this I think we need dynamic stats to return, one year wonder players.
Suspensions, UDFA surprises etc!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Suspensions won't happen with the NFL badge in place.

Just make CFM deep with a lot of different options available.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »