Home

What's up with commentary?

This is a discussion on What's up with commentary? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What's up with commentary?

Almost every time they talk about hat tricks or milestones it's something like "the rookie's looking for his first hat trick" or "the rookie has just scored his 200th point", even if it's veteran players they're talking about. Happened with guys like Scheifele, Hamilton, Landeskog, Zuccarello, Wheeler and many others.

It seems like they haven't updated the commentary in a while. The NHL 18 teasers and trailers where all about the young guns, yet last year's rookies like Matthews, Laine, Marner, Werenski, Rantanen etc. don't even have play-by-play names.

I'm pretty sure, when they switched to the NBC guys, Rammer said in a Q&A that they will have Doc and Eddie in the studio once in a while during the year, so they could constantly update the commentary. Well, what happened to that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Re: What's up with commentary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce12
Almost every time they talk about hat tricks or milestones it's something like "the rookie's looking for his first hat trick" or "the rookie has just scored his 200th point", even if it's veteran players they're talking about. Happened with guys like Scheifele, Hamilton, Landeskog, Zuccarello, Wheeler and many others.

It seems like they haven't updated the commentary in a while. The NHL 18 teasers and trailers where all about the young guns, yet last year's rookies like Matthews, Laine, Marner, Werenski, Rantanen etc. don't even have play-by-play names.

I'm pretty sure, when they switched to the NBC guys, Rammer said in a Q&A that they will have Doc and Eddie in the studio once in a while during the year, so they could constantly update the commentary. Well, what happened to that?
They haven’t updated it but you can create a mascot who will bang on the glass as the old stale commentary remarks about something that’s not even happening in your season. There are so many inexcusable flaws and legacy issues in this series that it’s beyond reason. Nobody would have job in any industry releasing such a poor product year in and year out but enough people, myself included, fall for it every year.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #3
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I had a rookie score what would have been his first goal today but it was disallowed due to a high stick. Later in the period they cut to him on the bench saying how he scored his first NHL goal.. LOL!!!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
Pro

vertman's Arena

Played my third franchise game last night, I believe the date was Oct 9th and the announcers were saying it was a Thanksgiving night game. Lol, not even close
Old 11-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertman
Played my third franchise game last night, I believe the date was Oct 9th and the announcers were saying it was a Thanksgiving night game. Lol, not even close
Was the game played in Canada? Canadian Thanksgiving was indeed October 9th...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce12

I mentioned the same exact thing awhile ago about Rammer saying what you stated above. He said they can "pretty much bring them in whenever they want." What they did is gave Ferraro some more lines and tweaked Doc's goal calls. In NHL 16/17 if you scored the Stanley Cup game 7 winning goal in Overtime, Doc would kinda go nuts and say "Scorrreeeeeeeeee" What they did is edited that and inserted that into NHL 18, same with if you scored with 2 min or less in the 3rd period to go ahead by a goal Doc will go really loud "SCORE!"

No time was spent with Doc on the commentary. Eddie unfortunately is going through a difficult time with cancer at the moment, so I understand the lack of commentary with him. Doc is inexcusable.

How they market "the young kids" and you don't even have Doc mention Matthews, Eichel, Laine, etc just disgusts me.

They also never built upon when you pin the opposing team in their defensive zone Doc getting excited. It's the same as it was since NHL 16. Just like when Doc would say "Score.......Sidney Crosby" they never built upon that either. You'd think Doc would say "Scoreee...Connor Mcdavid!!!.......3 to nothing, Oilers!"

I could go on and on with the commentary issues and how it frustrates me. They haven't truly done anything with commentary since NHL 16. NHL 17 they added some commentary lines with the World Cup of Hockey and all of the cheesy holiday goal calls at lines. "He flewwww like an Eagle, no turkey there!"
Old 11-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
Was the game played in Canada? Canadian Thanksgiving was indeed October 9th...
It was not. Game was at home in Boston against Colorado.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #8
Rookie

I don't understand why they just don't get voice actors to do this. I'd rather have talented actors mimicking sports commentators and being able to replicate the wide range of emotions portrayed in a hockey game than having Emrick failing miserably to imitate HIMSELF.

It just sounds so bad all the time, like you're listening to a student film.

Let's not forget voice actors could be called up and in the studio in a matter of hours to record new lines.

EA hasn't got a ****ing clue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »