Home

Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation!

This is a discussion on Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation!

This exactly why layups should have NEVER been buffed.

Does anyone think the hip-riding animation is OP? When combined with the zig-zag, it seems like the animation kicks in very quick, and you end up riding the player all the way to basket (not by choice in some cases). Depending on your defensive settings, the defense may collapse, but if it doesn't it almost like giving up a "free" layup to certain players (Rose, Harden, Durant, etc).

For me, it's a fine line of being cheesy to being a realistic basketball play. Basically, my opponent will call a screen, zig-zag behind the screen a couple of times, then just takes off. When BUGS me most about the hip-riding animation is that my opponent is not chaining moves together. He literally turbos forward at an angle, and my defender is taken for the ride. I don't if it's a play or some odd tendency, but the screener (normally the center) actually stays at the 3PT line which forces me to pull the PF over to defend the rim. I use the normal "Gap" and "Leave Him" options, but my center is never close enough to the basket to make a play on the ball. When I switch the positions of the PF/C, then they use the pick and roll with the opposite big to make sure that my center is always away from the basket. If I switch Paul George to the offender, then they just start using the next best player which ends up being a rinse/repeat of the same tactic.

It's annoying as hell, because I feel that the ease of the hip-riding animation gives the offense the advantage of pulling a defender with them while having no fear of missing a layup, but maybe getting a foul if they take the shot. And once again...if it wasn't for damn layup buff this wouldn't be an issue. I only started seeing this more and more after they buffed the layups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Re: Either Nerf Layups or the Hip-Riding Animation!

Maybe PC hasn’t gotten that update yet, because I’m not finding it any easier to make layups than before, even with great finishers.

I’m hoping that whatever they mess with, it doesn’t change offline gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Maybe PC hasn’t gotten that update yet, because I’m not finding it any easier to make layups than before, even with great finishers.

I’m hoping that whatever they mess with, it doesn’t change offline gameplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm mainly seeing this in Play Now Online. I can't speak for the other modes. Personally, I didn't care about the layup success rate, because my attitude was "All layups don't go in.". When I went in for a layup, it was on mainly on fastbreaks, plays where the my teammate was cutting backdoor to the basket, or I had speed advantage on the defender. Now, everyone just uses the hip-riding animation to make a beeline to the basket, and shoot like well above 55% on their attempts if you don't foul them. With online players, you can play good positional defense, but they'll keep turboing against your defender until they finally get the hip-riding animation.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
This exactly why layups should have NEVER been buffed.

Does anyone think the hip-riding animation is OP? When combined with the zig-zag, it seems like the animation kicks in very quick, and you end up riding the player all the way to basket (not by choice in some cases). Depending on your defensive settings, the defense may collapse, but if it doesn't it almost like giving up a "free" layup to certain players (Rose, Harden, Durant, etc).

For me, it's a fine line of being cheesy to being a realistic basketball play. Basically, my opponent will call a screen, zig-zag behind the screen a couple of times, then just takes off. When BUGS me most about the hip-riding animation is that my opponent is not chaining moves together. He literally turbos forward at an angle, and my defender is taken for the ride. I don't if it's a play or some odd tendency, but the screener (normally the center) actually stays at the 3PT line which forces me to pull the PF over to defend the rim. I use the normal "Gap" and "Leave Him" options, but my center is never close enough to the basket to make a play on the ball. When I switch the positions of the PF/C, then they use the pick and roll with the opposite big to make sure that my center is always away from the basket. If I switch Paul George to the offender, then they just start using the next best player which ends up being a rinse/repeat of the same tactic.

It's annoying as hell, because I feel that the ease of the hip-riding animation gives the offense the advantage of pulling a defender with them while having no fear of missing a layup, but maybe getting a foul if they take the shot. And once again...if it wasn't for damn layup buff this wouldn't be an issue. I only started seeing this more and more after they buffed the layups.
First off I'm going to tell you like I tell every other rookie thread that sounds like ranting. Chill out...No need for the !!!

But agree.... put it back to missing layups. it cant be both.....

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-27-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
First off I'm going to tell you like I tell every other rookie thread that sounders like ranting. Chill out...No need for the !!!

But agree.... put it back to missing layups. it cant be both.....
Did you call me a rookie thread creator, lol?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Did you call me a rookie thread creator, lol?
hahahahaha You know it's all love here man.

But my offline friends would use the animation to get to the step-back jumper or cross over. But I don't like that players are making layups at such a high rate. Doesn't balance it out for the opposing users.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
hahahahaha You know it's all love here man.

But my offline friends would use the animation to get to the step-back jumper or cross over. But I don't like that players are making layups at such a high rate. Doesn't balance it out for the opposing users.
I agree. Having thought about it more, the problem is more with the buff than the actual animation. The animation was always there, but it's being overused now due to the high success rate of layups. I still hate how easy it is to get the hip-riding animation, but people will stop attempting to use it on every possession if layup success was taken down the a notch.

I'll post videos later tonight to show what I'm talking about. Everyone does it, so getting video will easy.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
I agree. Having thought about it more, the problem is more with the buff than the actual animation. The animation was always there, but it's being overused now due to the high success rate of layups. I still hate how easy it is to get the hip-riding animation, but people will stop attempting to use it on every possession if layup success was taken down the a notch.

I'll post videos later tonight to show what I'm talking about. Everyone does it, so getting video will easy.
Don't worry I got you. My cousin in this video. I literally just showed him in 2kU how to do the step back. I don't mind the step back in any of these videos because at the time. Driving to the rim for layup success was pretty low at that time. So even he knew it wouldn't work that often. But with the recent change more layups are going in. We can't have both.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »