Home

2017 racing games; the story so far...

This is a discussion on 2017 racing games; the story so far... within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
2017 racing games; the story so far...

(DISCLAIMERS: (1) I'm not a paid employee of Bob Kollars (2) I don't buy racing games for multiplayer. I'm a single player, 'single-serving-friend' type of guy)

The story so far is that my credit cards are about maxed out

But seriously....SO many good racing games out there this year...and a surprising holdover from the past:

F1 2017 (PS4 Pro):

Last year's version really got my juices flowing and planted a seed for outside-the-game interest in F1. This year's game has roped me in completely, and in addition to enjoying the absolute sublime experience that is F1 2017's career mode (Championship is fun too) I have officially joined the F1 Family as a fan. Hell, my wife even altered our DirecTV plan just so I can tune in to the races live and on NBCSN's app replays. Amazing game!!!

The strength of F1 2017? Amazingly immersive career mode; it'll make you a fan.

My take: BUY

Project Cars 2 (PS4 Pro):

Purchased for a few reasons;

1), the strength of PC1. It was a great game and I loved my open wheel career. The racing was strong and it felt good/nice handling. The only real drawback for me was the lack of progression in career mode.

2) It's gotten generally sound reviews, and it looked good from everything I saw, and the sound is incredible. Based on it's pedigree, I knew it would sound good and have lots to do.

3) Indy cars!

Issue: Now that I have it (after a troubled pre-load which Bandai/Sony kinda screwed the pooch on), I see a game with a LOT of depth, but needs some tuning before it will actually be fun for me to play.

This baby needs work; I understand about trying to drive it realistically, but with a controller I just can not find joy at this point in the game's cycle, even if I just wimp out with all the assists on it's still a harder drive than it really should be. It's also got some graphical issues and the AI isn't as good as PC1 so far. There's hope for this title if the devs come through for us with some good patches.

UPDATE 11/24:

Per my post in the PC2 review thread:

First, I don't 100% like ANY of the driving views, so I went in to the options to look around some more (jeez they are deep) and each view is adjustable! So I selected cockpit view and set it from 75 to about 60 so that you are closer to the wheel (like you can do in GT Sport) and have better track vision. Difference maker!!!

Secondly, I took advantage of letting my crew chief make tweaks for me by just providing some feedback on what I'm experiencing (won't turn in to the start of corners, for example). Then, have HIM make some downforce or bias or gearing adjustments and suddenly I was competitive and had a driveable car! Hell, it felt more like PC1 again, which was a big step up from where I was. I'm not a gear-head type of guy and didn't want to mess with all that, but the game at least provides a means of assisting with your particular driving needs to get your car right.

The strength of PC2? Sheer depth, especially the number of racing venues and career mode. It is more of a technical challenge from a handling perspective than GT Sport or Forza.

My take: See update below...can't recommend this year.

UPDATE March 2018: Given the handling of the other games mentioned here, and after significant patching by SMS for this game, it's definitely lagging behind. It just doesn't handle CONSISTENTLY. Some cars you can dial in a bit, but others require yet more tweaking that may never actually arrive from a driveability point of view, particularly with a controller as I use.

PC2 has a lot to offer, but I'm afraid the handling just holds it back too much this time around. I can't recommend this one.

Forza 7 (Xbox One S):

Great googly moogly it's pretty. And I have to admit, after my struggles to get PC2 driveable (I know it's supposed to be sim and it's possibly my fault), Forza you can jump right in with minimal assists and it feels very organic. Sound is amazing, visuals are astounding.

However, the AI that I've never loved about Forza is still an issue; too much "Hey I'm right HERE!! HELLOO!!!!" moments of bumper cars. Turn 10 needs to work on this aspect, though Gran Turismo historically was as bad or worse in this department. So good in every way otherwise!

The strength of Forza 7? Car collecting. Your goal ostensibly is to win the Forza Championship, but really you are racing to buy cars and more cars and then fix them up how you like them, and it's awesome that way.

My take: I'd say BUY; I have it for everything that it does well (save the AI).

Gran Turismo Sport (PS4 Pro): Downloading the beastly demo, will report back with impressions, and if I will need to do unmentionable services on a street corner to buy THIS one too.

UPDATE: Demo so far is astounding...only just one race this morning before work but it drives AMAZINGLY well, is polished up nice (and not like a turd), sounds decent, and just screams quality. I need to run more races to get a better feel for the AI but so far so good.

UPDATE 10/11: After more time with this excellent demo, I have officially caved and pre-ordered. From top to bottom it's just excellent and I can't wait to give the full game a go, and then I will report back in this space with the rundown as I have done for these other fine games so far.

UPDATE 11/24:

This game is still amazing, however it's online nature may not be for everyone. While it does offer a pretty fair amount of things to do for single player, it's still not a campaign type racer. Happily the developer is going to be significantly beefing this aspect up to bring it more in line with it's roots and more up to a level with Forza for single player here:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...t-league-more/

From the article:

"GT League (Coming December 2017)

Launching as part of our free December update, we’ll be introducing a brand new single player mode called “GT League”. Based on the old “GT mode” of previous titles, players can now look forward to racing through a series of cup competitions from beginner to pro levels, and and even partake in endurance races!"

This aspect should be a game-changer for some of you still mulling over this vast selection of quality racers we are enjoying this season.

My take: BUY

New Addition: NASCAR Heat 2

A Black Friday addition, I continued down the 2017 Rabbit Hole of Racing Games with getting a BOGO essentially of NASCAR Heat 2 and Dirt 4.

My preliminary runs in NASCAR Heat 2 are actually positive, given that several people here who's opinions I value like the game so I gave it a shot after sitting out since NASCAR: Inside Line on 360.

The game may not have any wow factor from a visual, audio, or presentation standpoint, but from what I've played so far it can RACE. It does provide what is so far the finest challenge and handling I've had since NASCAR Racing on the PC so long ago. The AI race along very well and while there's bumping (like there should be) you don't just lose it after a tap or two, and neither does the AI.

I do race with Stability on, so I'm not sure if that changes that dramatically.

If you are looking for a NASCAR fix, I think this may warrant a look. It has average but relatively smooth graphics on the PS4 Pro, and audio is sub par (though the spotter is fine), but it does have VERY fun racing with my experience so far.

The strength of NASCAR Heat 2? Definitely in the gameplay and racey AI. Finally you can experience the stress of pack racing and excitement of trying to methodically pick your way through such a large field while managing pit strategy.

My take: Buy, but at a discount if you can. The next version of this series, if they can bring the graphics up a level while retaining and refining gameplay could be a milestone for NASCAR fans.

New Addition: DIRT 4

Part deux of the Black Friday sale...how could I not for 29 bucks?? And I'm delighted to say that I'm 2 for 2 on my Black Friday purchases.

OS user pk500 brought my interest back over to rally racing by talking up WRC 7, so I looked into it and DIRT for this year. At the end of deliberations and the fact of DIRT 4's excellent price and extra features, I went with that. But in fairness I will watch for WRC 8 next year for top consideration.

DIRT 4 is very polished and looks and sounds amazing, with a vibrant color palette and outstanding audio. It also is very fun to play, though even on simulation mode perhaps a bit forgiving. However it's forgiving in a 'gamer' kind of way (especially for this controller-only guy), and there's always WRC for the more serious sim experience.

DIRT 4's strengths include a robust career mode, starting small and working your way up, even building up your team, cars and facilities in a manner that reminds me a bit of the old NASCAR Thunder series. Further, there's truck and buggy series available for some great variety.

My take: I'm enjoying it, but you do have two very good rally choices to look at this year so I'd recommend hitting the review search on Google and youtube for comparisons and make up your own mind for rally racing in 2017. Again, I'm happy and having fun with this choice, but I'll keep a close eye out in 2018 to see what WRC 8 is up to...

Finally......the holdover! That's right, DRIVECLUB (PS4 Pro):

I reloaded this game after not running it for a couple of years and man, I really was amazed how well it holds up! And there's bikes too! This game is what I'd call more a driving romp, as it's not really about collecting to me so much as the really fun racing events that make up the single player system.

It's also got just AMAZING levels, and some awesome point-to-point racing that takes me all the way back to Need for Speed on 3DO (LOL, I'm 50...shut up). But damn, I love going to this game for some quick driving fixes in beautiful areas. The AI isn't amazing but compared to certain other games they are, I'd say, an improvement.

The strength of DRIVECLUB? Fun racing on gorgeous tracks...and there's bikes! It feels very pure...I am extremely sad that this developer won't be making a follow up as the possibilities are amazing.

My take: If you're looking for a nice alternative that's a little lighter, and really drive where you feel like you've GONE somewhere, check it out!

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan; 03-04-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: 2017 racing games; the story so far...

Good stuff man - I've been holding off on F1 2017, but the itch is getting more and more intense! Ha! With that and WRC, Heat 2, etc my cards are going to be maxed as well!!

Good post sir!
Old 10-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27

Thank your for this write up. I am in the position that I will be purchasing one of the 2 between PC2 or GT Sport. Looking forward to the demo to help me make my decision.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

There are so damn many, and the genre is alive and well. Never a bad thing to have so many options though, and pick the one(s) that fit you best.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Thanks Guys! Feel free to chip in with your thoughts on the 2017 driving games so far as well.

It's like going to Taco Bell and wanting one of everything but you can only eat so much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Operation Sports mobile app

"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

F1 2017 is great and I love all the Forza games.

I will wait a bit on PC2.

I would throw in MXGP 3 on my list and I'm liking WRC7 at the moment as well.

Had a good amount of fun with Dirt 4 and Motogp 17 as well.

It's been a great year for driving games for sure.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 10

Do any of the current games have hundreds of cars? I miss the old GT games with like 1500 cars and tons to collect, but I feel like the genre has left me behind.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty86
Do any of the current games have hundreds of cars? I miss the old GT games with like 1500 cars and tons to collect, but I feel like the genre has left me behind.
Forza has like 700, and GT Sport has less than 200, but in both games the cars are beautifully rendered. Project Cars 2 also just under 200 cars.

Keep in mind these numbers may balloon with DLC for these games.

Also, track count on the big players:

Forza 7 - " over 30 racing environments " by Microsofts words, I count 32 tracks, plus variations on those. Nice count.

GT Sport - 17 tracks, over 40 configurations (lean, but mean)

Project Cars 2 - Over 50 (including configurations)

Also, same as with car counts these list can increase with DLC.

"Best of Both Worlds"

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan; 10-09-2017 at 01:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »