Home

NHL 18 Trade/Strategy Help

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Trade/Strategy Help within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1
NHL 18 Trade/Strategy Help

I figured I would make a thread so people that need help with trading and strategies could get help if they need.Thanks to everyone in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Rookie

MediocreShark's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 18 Trade/Strategy Help

Okay this is a dumb question, but how in the hell do I successfully run a franchise? Lol I like to take middle of the road teams (Flyers, Canes, Panthers, Flames, etc) and build them into year after year contenders.

I struggle with resigning, trading, scouting, basically everything. I just don’t know what to do I guess.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreShark
Okay this is a dumb question, but how in the hell do I successfully run a franchise? Lol I like to take middle of the road teams (Flyers, Canes, Panthers, Flames, etc) and build them into year after year contenders.

I struggle with resigning, trading, scouting, basically everything. I just don’t know what to do I guess.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on how realistic you want it to be. Trade logic isn't great, so if you're not into realism, then I would start by shedding your bad contracts. Even when you turn trade difficulty in your franchise to hard, you can still spam other GM's into taking on bad contracts. 3rd and 4th round picks are like gold in this game when it comes to swaying opposing GM's into accepting trades. Grab them when you get the chance.

I like to keep it realistic, so unless it's a Clarkson for Horton (bad contract for bad contract) type trade, I won't make it. I traded for Duchene in my Expansion franchise, and tried to match up with Sakic's real life asking price (NHL ready Dman, top prospect, 1st rounder) as close as a could, but subbed 2 2nd's in instead, since, as an expansion team, the value of my first is huge.

When it comes to resigning players in the offseason, I release any RFA or UFA player that has a potential below 7th defenseman, bottom 6 fwd, or backup goalie. Doesn't make sense to resign them when you can just slightly overpay a few low overall/high potential FA's when July 1st hits.

Scouting is kind of a crap shoot. It sucks that you can only scout one position in one region at a time. I usually just pin a few top guys that I'm interested in drafting, and then let the CPU scout for me.

Hope this helps...if you've got any other questions, feel free to PM me!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Rookie

Finn's Arena

OVR: 2

Does anyone know if you need to portion any of your marketing budget to season tickets once the actual season starts or can I drop it to 0% without hurting the next seasons ticket drive?

Old 10-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Just started!

How are you guys drafting prospects in NHL 18 Be a GM Mode/Dynasty? Are you going by the players draft projection round? Or are you going by his potential rating (Elite, Top 4 etc)? I need some help in this.

I apologize for putting this question here, I wasn't allowed to start a new thread and need help, desperately! Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Just started!

I actually started really liking the draft and scouting. It still stinks that you can't specifically pick who to scout but it seems like you have some control when you get to pick up to 5 players to keep watch of. But you can really get some game changers late in the draft and it typically take 3-4 years to develop guys unless they are in the top 5.

I typically scout 1 week for every league for forwards and defense which will take you up to a little past the half way point of the season. After that I make sure I scout some guys who are likely to go in the 1st round where I will likely have a pick. But after that I specifically look for some steals by sorting by Potential and looking at their draft round they will likely go. you can find some Elites and Top6/Top4 guys who are suppose to go in later rounds. Scout those guys as much as possible until you get an exact potential(Blue). I pick a few guys I will trade up in the draft for and then mainly draft on potential since most guys past the top 5 are in the 50s overall.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmdion224
I actually started really liking the draft and scouting. It still stinks that you can't specifically pick who to scout but it seems like you have some control when you get to pick up to 5 players to keep watch of. But you can really get some game changers late in the draft and it typically take 3-4 years to develop guys unless they are in the top 5.

I typically scout 1 week for every league for forwards and defense which will take you up to a little past the half way point of the season. After that I make sure I scout some guys who are likely to go in the 1st round where I will likely have a pick. But after that I specifically look for some steals by sorting by Potential and looking at their draft round they will likely go. you can find some Elites and Top6/Top4 guys who are suppose to go in later rounds. Scout those guys as much as possible until you get an exact potential(Blue). I pick a few guys I will trade up in the draft for and then mainly draft on potential since most guys past the top 5 are in the 50s overall.
This is actually very similar to how I've been handling the drafting and scouting with NHL 17. I always hated scouting in prior years, but now that I have found a strategy it's really fun. It's always awesome to get an Elite potential in the 6th or 7th round.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Rookie

Atticusxj's Arena

Has anyone had trades disapproved because of salary cap implications in the next year? I'll let future me deal with that when it comes around. Seems pretty dumb.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »