Home

Duplicate Players

This is a discussion on Duplicate Players within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Duplicate Players

I don't know if anybody is interested or if this has already been discovered but I think i've found a way to make duplicates of players.

I was creating a roster of just legends and was in the 'All Players Menu' moving the '03-'04 T'Wolves Kevin Garnett to a current NBA team. The team I wanted to move him to had 15 players already so I was prompted the option to swap a player with KG instead. I accidentally said yes(going too fast through the menus). Not noticing I had did this, I was back in the All Players menu and selected the original KG again, and it said "Trade 'Kevin Garnett' with 'Kevin Garnett'?" and I said 'yes' and POOF -- a duplicate of the T'wolves KG was added to the '03-'04 T'Wolves along with the original Kevin Garnet that was on that team. I tested it several times and it indeed makes copies of players. I made a full team of Kevin Garnetts(lol)

So if you want to make copies of players you can.

I imagine this would come in handy if you:
1. Wanted to make every team your favorite player played on or just multiple teams a certain played on (E.g. all the Jordan Teams)
2. Wanted to make all the USA teams and certain players play on multiples
3. Wanted to duplicate a role player not on an all-time team or have duplicates for a custom team but didn't want to remove him from his current classic team to do so.
4. Wanted to make a year specific team without removing the players from their teams(E.g. if I were removing the current Jazz in favor of 80s Jazz team but didn't want to take Mark Eaton off the All-Time teams I could just duplicate him).
5. Make various All-Star Teams
6. Maybe theres a look alike in the roster that you dont want to remove?
Try it.

Last edited by World1; 09-23-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Duplicate Players

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizkijah
Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm on PS4. If it works for you let me know.

I was able to make a pretty decent 1988 Mavericks team
Derek Harper
Rolando Blackman
Mark Aguirre
Sam Perkins
Detlef Schrempf
Bill Wennington
Roy Tarpley(Duplicating Eddie Jones)
Brad Davis(Duplicating Phil Jackson -- only white guy with that mustache lol wanted Kurt Rambis but he has the glasses. Fred Hoiberg is a good option w/o the stache).

That was just me playing around with it.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Are you sure this makes a full copy or does it just copy the reference?

One easy way to tell is if you edit a rating or an accessory on one of them, does that same edit show up on all the other copies as well? If that happens, then its just a duplicate reference and you won't be able to do much of anything useful.

There was a bug in 2K16 which allowed something similar, which seemed exciting at first until we found out you can't really do much.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Are you sure this makes a full copy or does it just copy the reference?

One easy way to tell is if you edit a rating or an accessory on one of them, does that same edit show up on all the other copies as well? If that happens, then its just a duplicate reference and you won't be able to do much of anything useful.

There was a bug in 2K16 which allowed something similar, which seemed exciting at first until we found out you can't really do much.
Just tested, and yep thats the case again....smh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 2

Sorry guys, what you mean with "copy the reference "? Can you explain? thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
MVP

VizzyXV's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWizards
The duplicates are basically just a mirror copy of one another, so say you edit the attributes of one of the copied players, the exact same edits would be done to the other copied player
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWizards
Sorry, that's programming related, it has to do with how the roster file is structured.

See, the roster file contains a giant players list of all the players in the game complete with their ratings, accessories, signatures, cyberfaces, etc. And then a "team" is just a list of 15 references (actually, it's called a player ID) pointing into the players list to define what players are on it. What the OP thought might be happening is that his steps would make a full "copy", meaning a whole new entry in the players list. That would be awesome because that means both could be edited separately from each other, it'd be just like another way to create a new player for the roster. But that's not what's happening. All it's doing is creating another reference, which means now you have two teams both pointing to the same player row in the big players list. So when you edit one of the duplicates what its actually doing is editing the same master player that the original reference is also using. So both duplicates end up with the same edits. This is no good, because you couldn't do things like give them both separate accessories or ratings if you put them on separate teams.

Hope that is a little clearer.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »