Home

Thoughts on upgrade system in MyCareer

This is a discussion on Thoughts on upgrade system in MyCareer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
Rookie

hyretic's Arena

OVR: 0
Thoughts on upgrade system in MyCareer

I just wanted to say how much I love how this works. Last year going to the gym was a monotonous grind that actually led to me abandoning MyCareer, but this year it feels really great. You automatically upgrade badges that correspond to the way you play in games, and if you want to work on something in particular then that's what going to practice is for. It's as close to reality as I would have hoped for.

Case in point, I'm playing as a Playmaker / Shot Creator SF and I've yet to take a single three point shot in NBA games because my character isn't ready for it, but I'm working on that all the time in the gym. Just the way it should be.

The separation of attribute buckets feels really good too. It could possibly go a little further (distinguishing post hook and post fadeaway for one), but it feels so much more focused than the last few years. Particularly having all the physical attribute separate.

The inability to see what you're upgrading your attributes to before you spend VC still bothers me, but on the whole, progression in MyCareer actually feels fun this year, so credit to 2K for that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Thoughts on upgrade system in MyCareer

Just to be clear, when you say gym you're talking about the practice courts right? Not the Gatorade-loaded gym, where you work out? Because I agree the practice courts are great, think it works really well. The Gatorade gym is awful - rhythm action games, and in most of them there is no feedback about what the rhythm needed is, so you're just hitting and hoping until something clicks or the time runs out. Terribad.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
Rookie

hyretic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbackh
Just to be clear, when you say gym you're talking about the practice courts right? Not the Gatorade-loaded gym, where you work out? Because I agree the practice courts are great, think it works really well. The Gatorade gym is awful - rhythm action games, and in most of them there is no feedback about what the rhythm needed is, so you're just hitting and hoping until something clicks or the time runs out. Terribad.
Yeah, you're right, I meant practice. I've barely touched the Gatorade gym.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Pro

My main gripe on this upgrade system is 2k not allowing me to choose what attribute I'm able to upgrade next. I just unlocked new attribute upgrades and they went to Post Scoring, Blocks, Rebounding. I'm a 6'4 Play Sharp. Post scoring isn't going to do me any good. I still need to max my mid range jumper and 3 pointer out. The way this is going I won't be able to do so until I get in the high 90's and I wasn't trying to grind that long whatsoever.

The practice gym was definitely done right this year. Great idea.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyretic
Yeah, you're right, I meant practice. I've barely touched the Gatorade gym.
How do you get your turbo energy back without doing this periodically? I'd never go to the gym if that wasn't an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Rookie

hyretic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
How do you get your turbo energy back without doing this periodically? I'd never go to the gym if that wasn't an issue.
I sabotaged my Proving Ground games and NBA tryout in order to start the season with 0 assigned minutes. Add to that playing on HoF difficulty and not buying any VC, I'm still playing very limited minutes (a more realistic route for an undrafted rookie). So I haven't had any real stamina issues. That's all the turbo energy thing is for right? I could be wrong.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyretic
I sabotaged my Proving Ground games and NBA tryout in order to start the season with 0 assigned minutes. Add to that playing on HoF difficulty and not buying any VC, I'm still playing very limited minutes (a more realistic route for an undrafted rookie). So I haven't had any real stamina issues. That's all the turbo energy thing is for right? I could be wrong.
Every game you play, the amount of in-game turbo (right button) you have available goes down unless you refill it, to the point where you basically have no turbo after 3 straight games, making sprinting nearly impossible.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Rookie

so far I am a little dismayed by MyCareer. Does every player start as a level 60? Or did I just SUCK during my work out with the Pistons. I like the practice court much better, wnd working towards specific badges is nice. The Neighborhood is a cool place and I like seeing all the other characters, but again, does everyone start out as a level 60 and why is my dude so SLOW on the court!

NFL: Panthers & Lions
NHL: Hurricanes & RedWings
NBA: Pistons (Bad Boys 4 Life)

Playing Now: NCAA 14, Madden 15, BF4, All Lego games, NBA2K15

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »