Home

Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots?

This is a discussion on Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots?

Hi all,

I have an interest in NBA 2K18, but I had a very, very big issue with last year's game, which I'll link to here for those who don't remember or didn't see it.

http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...you-score.html

Basically, I'm wondering, if you are playing vs. the AI, is defense still flat-out broken? There were workarounds last year, adjusting all sorts of tendencies and ACE settings, but the base game was broken against the AI. As you'll see from the title of the thread I linked, I likened to it if it were FIFA, and goalies just ran out of the net to let shots get in. The videos linked in the above thread will perfectly demonstrate what I'm referring to.

If this is fixed, this game will absolutely be worth getting for me. Prior to 2K17, I loved and played the holy crap out of every 2K game for years. Last year, I couldn't play the game. I'm a sim gamer, offline player, and franchise mode was no fun when my defense would literally run away from their men to let them get wide open shots. From what I could tell from talking to people throughout the game cycle, the problem never really got fixed with patches, which means I barely touched the game (tested a few random times to see if it was better) in the last six months or so.

I know it's early with the new game, but any thoughts on this? Any of the guys from that thread giving 2K18 a chance and want to weigh in?

I'm not bashing the game. There was a TON to like about 2K17. I just couldn't personally play it due to my frustrations with these issues. This new game looks fantastic, but I HAVE to know if this is better.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is defense improved, or is it still FIFA, if goalies ran away from shots?

Much improved.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Are you talking about this:

https://twitter.com/WTF_OS/status/909057788764180486

If so, sad to say, it's still there. I've seen it NUMEROUS times already, along with some other legacy items I won't go into. But if this type of stuff aggravates you like it aggravates me, it's still there, and prevalent, especially during cpu runs.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Are you talking about this:

https://twitter.com/WTF_OS/status/909057788764180486

If so, sad to say, it's still there. I've seen it NUMEROUS times already, along with some other legacy items I won't go into. But if this type of stuff aggravates you like it aggravates me, it's still there, and prevalent, especially during cpu runs.
Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch. Not good.

I was more talking about this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnJXemPP2c. Defenders literally just running away from their man to leave them wide open. Also a problem was players literally locking you into an animation and shoving you all the way down the court.

This is bad though. I don't think as egregiously bad, but it's bad.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Yeah, that's still there as well. I'm trying to live with it, but it's rough.

There's so much I love about the game, and the presentation, commentary, graphics, strategic options... everything. But when things like this rear their head, it kills the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Yeah, that's still there as well. I'm trying to live with it, but it's rough.

There's so much I love about the game, and the presentation, commentary, graphics, strategic options... everything. But when things like this rear their head, it kills the game.
Argh. That's a no-go for me, then. I'm not spending money on a game that is fundamentally broken out of the box. And to me, 2K17 was fundamentally broken on defense... and this tells me 18 is too. Even if it's just a few times a game, it's a few times a game too many for my tastes.

If you get any video of the defenders running away or shoving a guy in a locked animation, I'd love to see 'em.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord
Hi all,

I have an interest in NBA 2K18, but I had a very, very big issue with last year's game, which I'll link to here for those who don't remember or didn't see it.

http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...you-score.html
Spoiler

EDIT: Regardless of the concerning issues, I will still try to enjoy 2k18 for the entire year, but I will take notes of the defensive concerns.

Note: I only play on Hall of Fame, default sliders.

Click spoiler tag for more information.
Spoiler
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 09-16-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord
Argh. That's a no-go for me, then. I'm not spending money on a game that is fundamentally broken out of the box. And to me, 2K17 was fundamentally broken on defense... and this tells me 18 is too. Even if it's just a few times a game, it's a few times a game too many for my tastes.

If you get any video of the defenders running away or shoving a guy in a locked animation, I'd love to see 'em.
Let me temper expectations some. That glitchy absentee defense stuff happens with a LOT less frequency in this game. I've played 14 games now and I absolutely vouch for it. So long as you don't expect perfection, you will feel the difference. I think you should buy this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »