Home

How does 2k want they're user's to play

This is a discussion on How does 2k want they're user's to play within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

OVR: 0
How does 2k want they're user's to play

Every now and then i try to play Myteam online from a team i built up throughout the year, i usually dont play online because runnings plays, and smart basketball is not rewarded the way i think it should be, running and gunning and using less than 10 seconds of the shot clock seems to be the best way to succeed in 5 v 5 matchups online. I have a few clips just showing me playing a recent game, and running plays seems to have little to no success, freelance can get you good looks.

But my main question is why add all this advanced playmaking, all these playbooks, if users can just take the ball off the top and score at will? How is 2k pushing or enticing the user to play? like random clueless basketball players, or running smart offenses looking for good shots.

1. - https://streamable.com/eyd4d
Notice i run a play on the left side of the floor, but i immediately notice my opponent off balling with his center, so i pass to the open Duncan, should be an easy 2 points or atleast a foul, the game simply just says no, as he walks over not even jumping to contest and the ball gets knocked away. Then the ball gets pushed and he shoots a 3 using less than 4 seconds on the shot block, swish.

2. - https://streamable.com/z5e18
Here i run a play that doesn't work to well, but still im showing that here i am trying to run set plays, and my opponent barely needs to guard it, whether he was off ball controlling or not, he switches to Kobe most likely and he easily just takes the ball away from me and runs down the floor again, ball security in this game mode seems to be a mess, i can be in protect ball mode not dribbling, and the opponent can just smack/strip the ball straight away, what in real life should be a foul 90% of the time.

3. - https://streamable.com/4m3w1
Notice at the beginning of this video my opponent using lebron to take advantage of Kidd at the point guard, smart decision but it was literally all he did, if he passed more than 2 times on a possession it was alot. This was his gameplan and it seemed to work to perfection, but me running plays and spacing the floor, seemed to work less often than his gameplan, which is my beef with the game, it should be the other way around that is rewarded more often. It could be because the cpu controlled defense in this mode reads everything, passing lanes, help defense, switches. I have watched a user not play on defense and his 4 cpu defenders on the court basically be in 200% perfect defense mode guarding any possible opening. But besides all that notice on this video me pass into the post, and have the ball pretty well protected, well i dont know if it was cpu or him controlling the defender, but it just gets poked loose, and well, again rush to the other end and easy score.

So this is pretty long, but its been on my mind for basically this entire year playing this game, online seems to be exploited unrealistic basketball tactics, are rewarded more than patient running of plays or even just smart realistic basketball. Hopefully in 2k18 , i can run a play and have my opponent be stifled as to how he needs to react on defense. And if he decides to dribble into me for 20 straight seconds without passing, then maybe that should be a steal? not passing into the post and having the ball stolen after 3 seconds...I can hope but most likely it will not be this way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Pro

Re: How does 2k want they're user's to play

Online was too cheesy with the overpowered cards. Running plays take way too long to set up and with guys having 90+ steal ratings, they will just force you to break up plays since steal spammers get rewarded too much.

2k18 seems to be better with restrictions and coach systems. Better play the mode early before the juiced up cards come out. At least the supermax concept will stop people from using a full line up of the cheesiest cards.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt500
Online was too cheesy with the overpowered cards. Running plays take way too long to set up and with guys having 90+ steal ratings, they will just force you to break up plays since steal spammers get rewarded too much.

2k18 seems to be better with restrictions and coach systems. Better play the mode early before the juiced up cards come out. At least the supermax concept will stop people from using a full line up of the cheesiest cards.
Steal spammers would not be so bad for play callers if it were not for the stupid way 2k requires you to set up a play. Plays get called down the court by the pg. he does not have to run to a certain spot and stand there for 10 seconds for the play to initiate.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board
Steal spammers would not be so bad for play callers if it were not for the stupid way 2k requires you to set up a play. Plays get called down the court by the pg. he does not have to run to a certain spot and stand there for 10 seconds for the play to initiate.
I hated...HATED steal spam in 2K17.

But keep in mind that play initiation is actually not hard to fire off smoothly if you are very familiar with it. The ballhandler only needs to be in starting spot for a couple seconds to start it off.

The problem comes when the ballhandler calls a play that requires a lot of moving around by his teammates and he runs to the starting spot as they're starting to get themselves sorted. If he does that, then it can take a while. But he doesn't actually have to be standing there that whole time.

I agree there are issues and find them frustrating too. But keep in mind you don't have to go to the spot until the play is ready to kick off. You can also try to match up plays with your freelances so that there's minimal rearrangement to start off plays.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
I hated...HATED steal spam in 2K17.

But keep in mind that play initiation is actually not hard to fire off smoothly if you are very familiar with it. The ballhandler only needs to be in starting spot for a couple seconds to start it off.

The problem comes when the ballhandler calls a play that requires a lot of moving around by his teammates and he runs to the starting spot as they're starting to get themselves sorted. If he does that, then it can take a while. But he doesn't actually have to be standing there that whole time.

I agree there are issues and find them frustrating too. But keep in mind you don't have to go to the spot until the play is ready to kick off. You can also try to match up plays with your freelances so that there's minimal rearrangement to start off plays.
You know what would be amazing for that. Being able to make your own playbook. They should get rid of jersey/court making and give us playbook making.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt500
You know what would be amazing for that. Being able to make your own playbook. They should get rid of jersey/court making and give us playbook making.
That would be the best but I doubt they will ever do that. Everyone would just put all the cheese plays in one playbook. It can help Sim players out but it can also get very cheesy.

I'm more inclined towards them giving us an option to move plays around in a given playbook so we don't hv to go to page 4 or 6 or whatever to call a play for a certain player. This way I can hv 1-2 plays for each player all on the first page. That would be perfect I think.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

I agree with almost every post , and i just have to post this video showing proof, of how dumb basketball was rewarded in this years online My-team, just spamming of using 1 player sometimes, and users not required to have any patience or basketball IQ it seems at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PKBa77zpYE

I wont say this guy playing with Bird is completely clueless, but the way he played is showcasing what im talking about, they both seemed to force all game long, with little consequence

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »