Home

Besides gameplay issues what is holding back the NHL series?

This is a discussion on Besides gameplay issues what is holding back the NHL series? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Banned

TheBuddyHobbs's Arena

OVR: 1
Besides gameplay issues what is holding back the NHL series?

There wasn't much to really inspect from gameplay in the beta, but I enjoyed it enough to get suckered in. I know I'm part of the problem, but I love hockey and love hockey games. So with all that out of the way. What's holding the series back that's not related to gameplay?

Presentation - It seems like it wasn't touched enough yet again. Still have to reserve some right as we haven't played the full game, but let's be honest, they don't have a great track record. Commentary has been stale for so long. Can we get some better and more authentic celebrations please?

Goalie mask - How about better customization? Goalies love their mask and other equipment. The fans do too. Especially when they are with a new team. At this point, I would settle for 10 pre-set goalie mask per NHL team. That would be at least enough satisfaction.

MULTIPLE team control - For the love of hockey Gods this is always a top request and we still never get it. It looks like we can have a 32 team league so now was the perfect time. We didn't get it though. Huge opportunity missed.

Community downloads - Another top request, the ability to download community rosters, teams and sliders. We've had this in Madden for years. Why don't we have this in NHL 18? This would be a game changer especially because of the new expansion option.

So as far as things outside of gameplay, go. Multiple team control and community downloads had no reason not to make the cut. EA missed a massive opportunity this year. Multiple team control and community downloads made too much sense because of the new expansion option. Had they done these things I truly believe they would of had the biggest sales since hitting the PS4 and Xbox One generation.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Rookie

jonapaloma's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Besides gameplay issues what is holding back the NHL series?

I would say money.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #3
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

You pretty much nailed it,

Presentation.- This series fails to capture the excitement of an NHL game. The intensity just is not there and it could be replicated through better presentation. instead its the same old commentary that all to often does not even accurately reflect whats happening in your game or season. For instance your goalie could be 10-2 with a fantastic GAA and SavePct and during the same old pre game skate they discuss how poorly he is playing. Instead of fixing this and addressing stale commentary they went ahead and recorded new corny commentary for their arcade 3 on 3. No five man celebration is inexcusable at this point. Lastly and a big one....scoring the winning goal of game 7 of the season and scoring the winning goal of game 7 of a playoff round feel and sound the same.

Goalie Masks - We can create and customize a mascot, arena, and uniforms but are still wearing many of the same, poorly designed masks for almost a decade. you can now create an expansion team and design everything for your new team but your goalie will skate out wearing another teams mask or a plain one. Also inexcusable.

Multiple Team Control - I assume you mean in franchise because in season mode you can, and I do control all the teams.

Community - This one puzzles me. On last gen consoles we had the ability to share rosters (No thanks to EA) and customize arena music and goal horns. 4 years into next gen and still not an option.

All the things above are achievable and most if not all have been a wish of the community for a long time and instead EA invest its time and what little money apparently, and gives us arcade 3 on 3. That speaks volumes.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Complete integration between all the various leagues like FIFA has.
Why can't I be a GM for an OHL team?
Shouldn't I be able to take my BAP to Europe?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Story mode like FIFA and Madden
Why can't I do the training session to improved my player instead of just picking some option in a menu ?
There is bug in this the netcode that exist for years (loop at faceoff)
Menu speed
Goalie quitting in EASHL - very little penalty.
New audio commentary ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

-Stagnation of gameplay presentation (rehashed play by play audio, cutscenes)
-Monetization from HUT microtransactions
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

A lot of things. Budget, resources are not there for this game.

They still haven't added in 5-man celebrations, or show players slapping five with teammates on the bench.

Commentary is largely unchanged and overall stale.

I could go on, but we all know the gameplay issues with money goals, no neutral zone play, iffy penalty system, goalies with bad AI, etc.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
ORIGINAL SIX FAN

13whitebread's Arena

OVR: 15

You hit the nail on the head yeah let's waste time implementing 3 vs 3 new commentary and 5 man goeal celebration could of been added instead of 3 vs 3 boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
You pretty much nailed it,

Presentation.- This series fails to capture the excitement of an NHL game. The intensity just is not there and it could be replicated through better presentation. instead its the same old commentary that all to often does not even accurately reflect whats happening in your game or season. For instance your goalie could be 10-2 with a fantastic GAA and SavePct and during the same old pre game skate they discuss how poorly he is playing. Instead of fixing this and addressing stale commentary they went ahead and recorded new corny commentary for their arcade 3 on 3. No five man celebration is inexcusable at this point. Lastly and a big one....scoring the winning goal of game 7 of the season and scoring the winning goal of game 7 of a playoff round feel and sound the same.

Goalie Masks - We can create and customize a mascot, arena, and uniforms but are still wearing many of the same, poorly designed masks for almost a decade. you can now create an expansion team and design everything for your new team but your goalie will skate out wearing another teams mask or a plain one. Also inexcusable.

Multiple Team Control - I assume you mean in franchise because in season mode you can, and I do control all the teams.

Community - This one puzzles me. On last gen consoles we had the ability to share rosters (No thanks to EA) and customize arena music and goal horns. 4 years into next gen and still not an option.

All the things above are achievable and most if not all have been a wish of the community for a long time and instead EA invest its time and what little money apparently, and gives us arcade 3 on 3. That speaks volumes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »