Home

Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

This is a discussion on Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Pro

nyk_fatboy's Arena

OVR: 0
Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

ever since 2k16 its been the most abusive, cheesiest, no skill required exploit move in the game when dribbling. it doesnt need to be toned down more but removed from the game completely. making stamina relevant doesnt cure this bs move its like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

players actually think their good because speed boost can carry them it takes alot of fun out the game seeing people rely on the same one move. tutorials all over youtube about speed boosting it needs to be eliminated or completely redone. playing against guards over and over trying to shift my body in the right angle just so they can take advantage of an animation burst is beyond lame.

Last edited by nyk_fatboy; 08-07-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Pro

TreJayMMA's Arena

Re: Please tell me "speed boost" is gone in NBA2K18

Nope its in 2k18

PSN: TreJay2000
Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Well it exists in real life so it should be in games

The real problem is the lack of defensive speed

If you've seen Kyrie or Russell play then you know speed boosting does exist.

But if you've seen Kawhi and Patrick Beverly play you know that SOME defenders are really good at keeping up with moves. 2k just didn't give defenders enough tools to combat the best speed boosters. The best on ball defender Iv ever played with is still just basically nothing without the square button

Then when you speed boost on top of getting a brick wall screen it made the game unbearable. Brick wall screens are gone so there's step one to fixing the game

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Rookie

killaxxbearsxxx's Arena

Yeah I don't know why people like to play like that. It's like they'd rather play 2k than play basketball, then complain about how 2k sucks, like it's not a basketball game.

At this point it's whatever though. I really only ever have a problem with it in park because there usually isn't enough players on the court to force them deep into their reads and passes. But in pro-am, you can force them to still play basketball through all of that. Whether that's forcing him into help, hedging, switching on screens etc. At some point he has to make a decision. I feel like as long as I can take away that first option and force them to go into their second or third, then I'm forcing him to play basketball through all of that and that's all I ask for.

Kingzxkobra if you want to catch me on PSN
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

What people think of as speed boosting(rightly so) may be gone and what they perceive of as still being speed boosting is actually triple threat explosion actually working now. I base this opinion off of things that Mike said in the Game Informer article:

Quote:
"Sometimes in the past you'd try to cut and it might be really fast or really slow based on whatever animation you happened to get. So this year the animations are kind of being built on the fly. We throw all these animations into a blender essentially, and there is nothing predetermined with it. It's all built as you move around the court. To get that to look just as good as it has always looked is where the challenge was, but I think the feel is one of the first things that is immediately apparent to people. When they play, it just feels like you are completely in control of your guy now. You're not a slave to whatever animations fire off."

The fluidity of motion and differentiation in player ability in NBA 2K18 were the next things I noticed after the dramatic increase in graphical fidelity. Players leading a fastbreak don't seem to lose momentum as easily as they did in the past when receiving a pass. It's easier to blow past defenders with elite players like Russell Westbrook, but shutdown defenders like Jimmy Butler are hard to shake."
Quote:
"Things like fastbreaks, transitions, the half-court offense, the flow of the game, the entire pace, it all kind of just works itself out and it fixes a lot of the problems that I think people had with 2K17. Last year people complained about the fact that if you got a certain dribble crossover first step animation, then you'd get a huge advantage because you shoot forward. Stuff like that made the game feel cheap. If you got the right animations to play out, that's what made you better than someone else. We didn't want that to be the case, so that's why the motion system was so crucial."

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
What people think of as speed boosting(rightly so) may be gone and what they perceive of as still being speed boosting is actually triple threat explosion actually working now. I base this opinion off of things that Mike said in the Game Informer article:

Aka 7 mins literally after launch people are going to be complaining about how exploding out of the triple threat is OP lol

Or how the lack of people falling on picks is unrealistic

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
Pro

Really don't understand the issues people are still having with speed boosting. In 16 the complaints were legit because players had unlimited Stamina. You can't abuse the boost for 24 seconds this year. Although the defense is a lil lackluster in 17' you can still easily stop people who hit Normal 5 or Elite 1 (two of the most popular rhythm dribbles). Everybody plays the exact same to me in Park/Stage so it's pretty predictable now. Seems like Stamina is gonna be even more of a factor in 2k18 so spamming and speed boosting will take a hit even more. I'm more so happy that brick wall has been nerfed. Bad players were hiding behind glass cleaners and brick wall a lot this year. SMH
Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Pro

thats the part i HATE. everybody does the same moves, same shots, same dunk packages, same offensive strategy to exploit 2k hotspots"

this is my main gripe with the 2k community. nobody wants to play basketball. they want to play "lookatmydribblepackage", "watchmescoreallthepointsalone", "idontunderstanddefensiveangles"

main reason im making the switch this year. cancerous community lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »