Home

MLB on FOX: 2017 PITCH EDITS by Houston

This is a discussion on MLB on FOX: 2017 PITCH EDITS by Houston within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0
MLB on FOX: 2017 PITCH EDITS by Houston

QUESTION 1:

Why did you decide to use 2016 data for most of the pitchers ratings?

ANSWER:

I wanted to have complete data for most if not all pitchers and using the end of 2016 gives that. Even though it's 2016 information it was complete data at the time. I plan on doing this once the playoffs begin in 2017 having complete 2017 pitch data for this chart.

I also want to add that the velocity of pitches can change from what they were at opening day compared to end of the season, and the pitch frequency changes based on how many times that pitcher throws a certain pitch.

QUESTION 2:

What is the difference from your pitch edits compared to SCEA pitch ratings?

ANSWER:

Well I use http://www.brooksbaseball.net/ to determine every single pitcher's pitch type listed on my chart and how often they threw each pitch the year listed. I also use the correct velocity (MPH) for each pitch thrown while keeping the same control and break SCEA uses.

SCEA pitch types given on there rosters are not always correct, the order the pitch is thrown is not always correct and the velocity is sometimes way off.

With my pitch edits you get the correct pitch type, the correct speed while keeping the way SCEA handles there control and break for each pitch.

QUESTION 3:

How are the pitch types even classified or what do you do to determine what a pitcher really throws?

ANSWER:

I put in each pitcher one by one on http://www.brooksbaseball.net/ I read information given for each pitch listed.

Example is all SLIDERS on my pitch edits with 86MPH and higher are classified as a SLIDER.

A SLURVE was given if the SLIDER was 85MPH and lower with sweeping across the zone mentioned or some two-plane movement mentioned.

Another example is the SINKER. This really can go either way using a 2 SEAMER or SINKER but on the game anything higher than 95MPH and you cant give the SINKER so we half to make it a 2 SEAMER.

I read the information given and if it has a lot of natural sinking action and under 95MPH I always try to give the pitcher a SINKER.

QUESTION 4:

I noticed you didn't use any RUNNING FASTBALLS why is that?

ANSWER:

The reason I do not use the RUNNING FASTBALL anymore is if you give pitchers the RFB and have a carry over franchise then all the pitchers given this pitch the previous year the RFB turns into another 2 SEAMER giving those pitchers two of them in there arsenal.

I do like the movement on the RUNNING FASTBALL but to prevent that glitch I decided to keep this simple.

QUESTION 5:

I did not see any regular CURVE BALLS and why is that?

ANSWER:

I did my pitch edits a little different this year and decided not to use any plain CURVES.

The 12-6 Curve was given for pitches with 12-6 movement listed in the information and is the most common curve ball thrown.

Sweeping Curve was given to those pitchers who have obvious sweeping movement on there curve, but also short glove movement.

The KNUCKLE CURVE was given to the pitchers if BROOKS listed it for that pitcher and I also look up pitchers individually using google to see what type of CURVE they actually throw.

EXTRA:

I just wanted to also add this here that all Japan pitchers were given FORKBALLS instead of the SPLITTER.

Some other specialty pitches used are the PALM BALL and VULCAN CHANGE UP to those pitchers who actually do throw these type of pitches.

Last edited by Houston; 07-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
MVP

Houston's Arena

Re: MLB on FOX: 2017 PITCH EDITS by Houston

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, once I update the chart later this year I will put the names in alphabetical order. Currently I have the 2017 players at the bottom of the team there playing for.

I also will add pitchers each week when SCEA releases there weekly roster update until the end of the season.

Last edited by Houston; 07-18-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm not able to download the pitch edits Google Spreadsheet in any format. I click on "File" & "Download As" & try the options available but nothing happens. Is the file not available to download? Thanks.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybologna
I'm not able to download the pitch edits Google Spreadsheet in any format. I click on "File" & "Download As" & try the options available but nothing happens. Is the file not available to download? Thanks.
I think at the moment it's view only. Once I complete everything, adding pitchers from updates and finalizing the pitch edits once the seasons over with complete data for 2017 then you will be able to print, DL etc...
Old 07-20-2017, 01:29 AM   #5
MVP

tonybologna's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston
I think at the moment it's view only. Once I complete everything, adding pitchers from updates and finalizing the pitch edits once the seasons over with complete data for 2017 then you will be able to print, DL etc...
Well, it does have a "Downlod As" option from the top "File" menu option with several format options to choose from but when I click on any of them nothing happens.

I guess it is a View only file but most of the time like this with a "Download As" option then there is an option to download is some format. Thanks.
NFL- GO COWBOYS
NHL- GO PREDATORS
NASCAR- Chase Elliott
MLS- LA Galaxy

RIP Pat Summitt: We will all miss you!

Jeremiah 29:11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
MVP

Houston's Arena

I just updated the PITCH EDIT CHART guys. I added pitchers from Fridays SCEA update.

OAKLAND:

Paul Blackburn

RAYS:
Andrew Kittredge

* I already had Simon Castro on the chart.

Last edited by Houston; 08-11-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Pro

Keeler2434's Arena

Caleb Smith of the Yankees??
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #8
MVP

Houston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeler2434
Caleb Smith of the Yankees??
SCEA has not added him yet and until they do I will not have him on my chart.

He debut July 17, 2017 so hopefully they add him soon.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=smith-005cal

Last edited by Houston; 07-23-2017 at 01:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »