Home

Outfielders lollygagging

This is a discussion on Outfielders lollygagging within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

OVR: 0
Outfielders lollygagging

a few times i have had my outfielders run slowly to the ball...two examples are khris Davis and Rajai Davis, although they don't have elite reaction I am just wondering if other people experience this?

there was a runner on first with 1 out and the ball is blooped out to LF to a stop and khris davis was jogging to the ball and the runner on first scored, absolutely no urgency, needless to say he was benched the very next play, and two weeks later has been sent down to AAA. Same thing with Rajai Davis who has 93 speed. the nats hit a flyball to right field gap and Rajai (who usually plays center) was playing Rf and didn't even run full speed to the ball just sort of jogged and watched the ball land and the nats score 3 that inning to go up 4-1 in the 8th. I benched him, his replacement hit a double to get us back to 4-3 and we walked off 5-4 to avoid the sweep. Rajai davis has been reduced to pinch running duty and his training will strictly be 'sprints' for now on.

seriously, is this a bug or do some guys just get lazy like real life and we should deal with them accordingly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Outfielders lollygagging

I've noticed the game "throttle down" my outfielder movement speed this year to guide him to the fly ball's location, even if I'm tilting the stick as far as it will go. I think it's the game's way of eliminating that all-too-common scenario where you stop under the ball's landing spot , but don't have enough time to trigger the catch animation and the fielder muffs the catch. What it tries to do is let the player catch the ball on the move, which results in a smooth catch animation. It's the equivalent of "feathering the stick" as has been discussed in recent years, only it's the game doing it for you.

But, as of yet, the only time I've seen it noticeably affect the outcome of a play was letting a blooper drop down the lines. Even then, it would have been a close call if the fielder had been going all out (probably would have had to dive), and it has only happened twice.

If this behavior allowed the ball to get by you and go to the wall, then that's definitely a bug.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

I've had situations where I'm running after a flyball and my fielder is just jogging and doesn't make the catch because he didn't get to the ball in time.
However, if he ran full speed he would have made the catch easy.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Playing as the Durham Bulls? They lollygag around a lot.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I've noticed the game "throttle down" my outfielder movement speed this year to guide him to the fly ball's location, even if I'm tilting the stick as far as it will go. I think it's the game's way of eliminating that all-too-common scenario where you stop under the ball's landing spot , but don't have enough time to trigger the catch animation and the fielder muffs the catch. What it tries to do is let the player catch the ball on the move, which results in a smooth catch animation. It's the equivalent of "feathering the stick" as has been discussed in recent years, only it's the game doing it for you.

But, as of yet, the only time I've seen it noticeably affect the outcome of a play was letting a blooper drop down the lines. Even then, it would have been a close call if the fielder had been going all out (probably would have had to dive), and it has only happened twice.

If this behavior allowed the ball to get by you and go to the wall, then that's definitely a bug.

yah i do know the feathering the stick and i do that all the time with my outfielders so they get to their spot gracefully and almost always make my runners catch the ball on the run but in the instances i explained before they do not need to slow down they need to be speeding up and in Khris Davis's example the ball was in front of him and it had already come to a complete stop and the play was all right in front of him and if he would of hustled or ran at full speed he could have at least had a close play to third but he jogged to the ball...as with Rajai Davis he could of easily caught the ball if he was running at full speed but he just jogged to it and was clearly closer to catching it then the CF and the play turned into a triple by Ryan Zimmerman.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Just started!

I believe this is a bug on certain plays. In the past few months, I twice had situations where an outfielder was jogging ******ly towards a bloop that only he could have reached (but which he could have easily reached). One of them cost me a game, a walk-off bloop single with 2 outs in the inning. It's obviously a bug as once he reached the ball his speed picked up. It wasn't throttling back, either, they really just weren't making any effort to get to the ball in time.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asocial_grace
I believe this is a bug on certain plays. In the past few months, I twice had situations where an outfielder was jogging ******ly towards a bloop that only he could have reached (but which he could have easily reached). One of them cost me a game, a walk-off bloop single with 2 outs in the inning. It's obviously a bug as once he reached the ball his speed picked up. It wasn't throttling back, either, they really just weren't making any effort to get to the ball in time.
Key words right there.

- Rick Wise
Old 06-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Could that be from lazy fielders or is it from all of them. I haven't had any problems playing dd offline with that and I also mainly play rtts so I don't see much.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »