Home

Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Pack odds

Do you guys think we should have a petition or some kind of movement to put pressure on 2K to reveal to reveal pack odds? I know, in China, last year, there was a law passed that game developers have to be transparent about pull rates in loot box information. I think that it's necessary at this point because it almost feels like these pack odds are adjusted on the fly or maybe geared towards some hidden system that favors players who don't purchase packs. As someone who has spent thousands playing MyTeam over the last few yeas, I have noticed a few things.

1. 2K 100% without a doubt in my mind adjusts the pull rates of certain packs. Beasts was by far what I spent the most money this year because I wanted that Hakeem without selling anything. I spent a minimum $400 and never even pulled an amethyst. That's 8 boxes with guaranteed toppers. Not including any singles I bought. That's absurd. I get that you have to prevent the game from being "Pay to win" but this isn't the way. You prevent pay to win by making sure the game isn't skewed toward players with more disposable income, not by making it cost a little more than what most can spend.

2. There seems to be a system in place that's designed to suck people into MyTeam when they aren't paying money. I've seen both myself and other players be offered special VC discounts which is not only unfair to players who play the game all the time and don't get these offers but as well as dishonest to players who are being offered the deal as a way to lure them in as well as seemingly higher odds for people who don't pull as much. Obviously I don't have an inside look at to how Chris Smoove works, maybe he funneled a small fortune into his return to MyTeam but his pull rates on Beast packs were insane. He pulled at least 5 diamonds. I think he got Dr. J 3 times. I couldn't even pull an Amethyst!

3. Discounted VC also seems to provide lower pull rates. When that HUGE VC was going on a lot of YouTubers loaded up into the millions. I myself bought 1.3M. It was the weekend before a new theme was set to drop the following Tuesday and the pack odds were atrocious. I didn't pull anything and it was the first time I "gave up" MyTeam. Of course I came back and when Gamestop had a similar sale on VC when the Beast Packs were out, the same thing happened to me. Zip, zero, zilch.

In general 2K is a pretty shadowy group in regards to this game. We don't have real badge information. We still don't know what intangibles are. Something as fundamental as jumpshots can be patched with no warning and now my latest problem. Pulling packs is gambling. You're putting money into a random situation with hopes that you'll have the results you want. Every other gambling system is regulated so that you know the odds. You know how many sides are on a pair of dice, how many landing spots are on a roulette table, how many cards their are in a deck. Yet 2K, and many other games that feature microtransactions have no regulations in this regard. I think we need to push to have this is not just 2K but all games. I think a lot less people would throw money at this game if it told them they had a 3% chance at pulling a diamond.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Banned

jschmib's Arena

Re: Pack odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
Do you guys think we should have a petition or some kind of movement to put pressure on 2K to reveal to reveal pack odds? I know, in China, last year, there was a law passed that game developers have to be transparent about pull rates in loot box information. I think that it's necessary at this point because it almost feels like these pack odds are adjusted on the fly or maybe geared towards some hidden system that favors players who don't purchase packs. As someone who has spent thousands playing MyTeam over the last few yeas, I have noticed a few things.

1. 2K 100% without a doubt in my mind adjusts the pull rates of certain packs. Beasts was by far what I spent the most money this year because I wanted that Hakeem without selling anything. I spent a minimum $400 and never even pulled an amethyst. That's 8 boxes with guaranteed toppers. Not including any singles I bought. That's absurd. I get that you have to prevent the game from being "Pay to win" but this isn't the way. You prevent pay to win by making sure the game isn't skewed toward players with more disposable income, not by making it cost a little more than what most can spend.

2. There seems to be a system in place that's designed to suck people into MyTeam when they aren't paying money. I've seen both myself and other players be offered special VC discounts which is not only unfair to players who play the game all the time and don't get these offers but as well as dishonest to players who are being offered the deal as a way to lure them in as well as seemingly higher odds for people who don't pull as much. Obviously I don't have an inside look at to how Chris Smoove works, maybe he funneled a small fortune into his return to MyTeam but his pull rates on Beast packs were insane. He pulled at least 5 diamonds. I think he got Dr. J 3 times. I couldn't even pull an Amethyst!

3. Discounted VC also seems to provide lower pull rates. When that HUGE VC was going on a lot of YouTubers loaded up into the millions. I myself bought 1.3M. It was the weekend before a new theme was set to drop the following Tuesday and the pack odds were atrocious. I didn't pull anything and it was the first time I "gave up" MyTeam. Of course I came back and when Gamestop had a similar sale on VC when the Beast Packs were out, the same thing happened to me. Zip, zero, zilch.

In general 2K is a pretty shadowy group in regards to this game. We don't have real badge information. We still don't know what intangibles are. Something as fundamental as jumpshots can be patched with no warning and now my latest problem. Pulling packs is gambling. You're putting money into a random situation with hopes that you'll have the results you want. Every other gambling system is regulated so that you know the odds. You know how many sides are on a pair of dice, how many landing spots are on a roulette table, how many cards their are in a deck. Yet 2K, and many other games that feature microtransactions have no regulations in this regard. I think we need to push to have this is not just 2K but all games. I think a lot less people would throw money at this game if it told them they had a 3% chance at pulling a diamond.
I've had the same experience with discounted VC and the VC from the gamestop sale. I'm honestly not down to ever buy 2k's packs again until a law like this comes into effect. What they're doing now is blatantly exploiting consumers, and we should not go along with it.

I'd highly recommend just buying MT directly if you want a specific player. 2k doesn't deserve your money. I hate them more than most insurance companies. $400 could have bought you about a million MT. PM me if you want a link to a reliable site, I'm not sure what the rules are regarding those on this forum.

Also I heard about that law as well... a lot of gamers rejoiced, because international games like CoD would presumably have the same drop rates as the american versions, so we could just ask people in china what the loot odds are. A similar law NEEDS to be passed in the US, otherwise this is just... gambling? I'm not sure. But I know it's wrong.

Last edited by jschmib; 05-19-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Well it IS gambling, and gambling exists so that the house always wins, while also giving you the occasional taste of victory just enough to keep you spending more. 2K has gotten this down to an artform this year, the number of people saying they've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars just proves it.

I think I spent about $150 total between MyCareer and MT which I feel dirty enough about already.

"It's your money, do what you want with it" and all that is fine, but it seems slimy to me when they market the game to kids and convince them to waste tons of cash on it. Adults fine, but kids have even less judgement and I'd hate to see the amount of arguments parents around the world have had when they've seen their monthly Credit Card statement come in with ridiculous charges on them...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
Well it IS gambling, and gambling exists so that the house always wins, while also giving you the occasional taste of victory just enough to keep you spending more. 2K has gotten this down to an artform this year, the number of people saying they've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars just proves it.

I think I spent about $150 total between MyCareer and MT which I feel dirty enough about already.

"It's your money, do what you want with it" and all that is fine, but it seems slimy to me when they market the game to kids and convince them to waste tons of cash on it. Adults fine, but kids have even less judgement and I'd hate to see the amount of arguments parents around the world have had when they've seen their monthly Credit Card statement come in with ridiculous charges on them...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
That's what I'm saying. I don't know if you guys are familiar with that whole CS:GO fiasco with the YouTubers that got in trouble for that gambling website, but this seems the same to me. I think we have to have this regulated because who's to say they can't adjust odds on the fly? They could completely change anything they want and that's not fair to the customer. There has to be some type of regulation to microtransactions that involve odds. Obviously this is a problem that stretches across all of gaming, but it's awful in 2K because the odds directly affect competitive gameplay.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
Rookie

If you were to take the lead and actually pursue it, you would get support 100% from I'm sure everyone here.

Has anyone even brought it up and talked to a lawyer familiar with the US legal system around gaming/gambling/whatever?

That is the starting point ...

Until then nothing gets done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfmicks
If you were to take the lead and actually pursue it, you would get support 100% from I'm sure everyone here.

Has anyone even brought it up and talked to a lawyer familiar with the US legal system around gaming/gambling/whatever?

That is the starting point ...

Until then nothing gets done.
I would reach out to this guy and see what he says. All of the attorneys I have spoken to in life will give you a quick and dirty opinion if the case is worth pursing pretty quick...

https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

https://morrisonlee.com/

@MrRyanMorrison on Twitter
Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Pro

Pack odds

In 2K16 I spent 2 thousand actual dollars on VC for MVP and All star MVP packs and didn't see a single player actually belonging to those sets let alone a guy over 85 my highest pull was about 20 Dragics and I'm pretty sure I could start my own basketball LG of all Mozgovs the number of times I got him. It was great. I wasn't even mad at 2K nor am I mad at them now. I am mad at myself for allowing my self to be fooled and doing that in the first place but it's okay. Fool me once shame on you but I won't be fooled again. Haven't TOUCHED Myteam this year nor will I probably ever touch it again. which is a shame because I love these UT modes. At least madden hasn't forsaken me yet and the AH on there is mildly reasonable allowing a decent team to be fielded without spending real money on event sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by E The Rhymer; 05-26-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

At this rate, the game is losing intregrity, respect, sincerity, principle and righteousness.

They are now adapting to deceit, dishonesty, corruption, disgrace.

There must be a strict law enforced here, this is literally defraudment.

At this rate, I would not even shake the hands of the myteam developers/responsible for this pathetic practice of diminishing pack odds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »