Home

Perfect steals?

This is a discussion on Perfect steals? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

OVR: 0
Perfect steals?

I'm almost positive that I have figured out a glitch(?) that results in steals being 100% in the user's favor when baserunning, as long as the runner has about 65 speed or greater.

When a runner is on first base, I tap the L2 button (meaning I press than let go) to initiate a steal. However, rather than letting it do it automatically, I then press and hold L2 to time it. Most people either tap and let the game try to automatically steal when the pitcher starts his windup, or they'll hold the button down and time it themselves, but I do both for some reason out of habit (OCD possibly?). I've noticed though that if I let go of L2 at about the right time the pitcher begins his windup, my runner will have the best jump possible.

I have tried doing just tapping the L2 and just holding the L2 and timing myself, but neither situation is as perfect as tapping, letting go, then holding and letting go. It will produce some of the best jumps you could possibly get as a runner, and will never be thrown out.

I am currently in the middle of May in my franchise, my team leads the MLB in steals, and I've never been thrown out a single time. Obviously I'm going to change this to make it more realistic for me, but this certainly has to be a bug, right?

Try it out for yourself if you don't believe me. You don't even need good timing when letting go of L2 either. I've noticed my runner take off before I even let go of L2 because of how bad my timing was, yet the jump was inhumanly good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Rookie

jmcole33's Arena

Re: Perfect steals?

How often, if ever, do you get picked off at first?
4 World Series Titles - 2016, 2019, 2021, 2022
Last Season 2024: Lost to Cubs in NLDS 3-1
Old 05-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcole33
How often, if ever, do you get picked off at first?
I've never been picked off. I don't press L1 at all to increase my lead, which results in the CPU basically never picking off.

I also have my stealing and pickoff sliders on default, by the way.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

I just decided to try it out in my current game, and I had a perfect jump by doing this:

- Tap L2
- About a second later, hold L2
- Don't let go of L2
- Runner steals with a perfect jump

I didn't even have to let go of L2 by doing it this way. The whole time I was trying to "ensure" a good jump, the computer was doing it all for me. You don't even need to let go of the button at all for this glitch to occur.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

My experience with manual steals has been much different, but because of my slider set of choice.

I also love to use the manual steal, as I feel it better embodies the cat/mouse game with regards to leading off, getting an extra step, and running on a count that makes sense....

However....

The best baserunner/pitcher format for lead off and return came out in 2004, and continued into 2005. If you pressed the button for the lead off, and the pitcher made a move to first, you could quickly press the return button, and it made for some really exciting dives back to the bag, whereby your input actually mattered in the fast twitch game of leading and stealing.

In our current game, of you press the button to lead off, and the pitcher makes the move to first, it is a dice-roll, predetermined result for being safe or out. I can press the L2 button, manually hold it, and when the pitcher makes his move to first, let go of my trigger (as I would be stealing on a pitcher's first move) and the runner will go back to the bag safely. But, if I click the L1 button, and take an extra step, and have my right finger on the R1 button, ready to dive back, and regardless of how quickly I press it upon my noticing the pitcher throwing to first, whether he is safe or out is not based on my quick reflexes. That is a bummer to me. Plus, it takes the fun out of stealing, as I want to be playing the cat and mouse game.... oh well.

That said, I also notice that I can time the manual release just perfectly, and sometimes the runner gets a great jump, and sometimes he gets a terrible start. I am okay with this, as it happens in real life. Sometimes you take the extra step, try a walking lead, and take off. But, there are too many times where the result seems to be just algorithmic, and is what it is.

I think we can do better.

Plus, when you have baserunner speed down in your sliders, you had better make sure the stealing aspect is high on the baserunner, speed is plus plus, and you time the release at the perfect moment.

~syf
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
My experience with manual steals has been much different, but because of my slider set of choice.

I also love to use the manual steal, as I feel it better embodies the cat/mouse game with regards to leading off, getting an extra step, and running on a count that makes sense....

However....

The best baserunner/pitcher format for lead off and return came out in 2004, and continued into 2005. If you pressed the button for the lead off, and the pitcher made a move to first, you could quickly press the return button, and it made for some really exciting dives back to the bag, whereby your input actually mattered in the fast twitch game of leading and stealing.

In our current game, of you press the button to lead off, and the pitcher makes the move to first, it is a dice-roll, predetermined result for being safe or out. I can press the L2 button, manually hold it, and when the pitcher makes his move to first, let go of my trigger (as I would be stealing on a pitcher's first move) and the runner will go back to the bag safely. But, if I click the L1 button, and take an extra step, and have my right finger on the R1 button, ready to dive back, and regardless of how quickly I press it upon my noticing the pitcher throwing to first, whether he is safe or out is not based on my quick reflexes. That is a bummer to me. Plus, it takes the fun out of stealing, as I want to be playing the cat and mouse game.... oh well.

That said, I also notice that I can time the manual release just perfectly, and sometimes the runner gets a great jump, and sometimes he gets a terrible start. I am okay with this, as it happens in real life. Sometimes you take the extra step, try a walking lead, and take off. But, there are too many times where the result seems to be just algorithmic, and is what it is.

I think we can do better.

Plus, when you have baserunner speed down in your sliders, you had better make sure the stealing aspect is high on the baserunner, speed is plus plus, and you time the release at the perfect moment.

~syf
I agree that the pickoff system makes little to no sense the way that it is today. It feels very predetermined and doesn't have any bearing on reflexes mixed with player attributes, as it should.

In regards to the stealing that you mentioned, however, you don't even have to time it with this method I've been using and have concluded that it happens every single time. Tapping it once AND holding it the second time produced a perfect jump, without even letting go of L2.

Last edited by Noiziv; 05-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

So you tap it once, and tell the cpu you want to steal, then you tap and squeeze and hold a second time??

That is interesting.

I'll have to see if I am successful with my slow baserunner speed.

I'll test it out.
~syf
Old 05-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
I'm almost positive that I have figured out a glitch(?) that results in steals being 100% in the user's favor when baserunning, as long as the runner has about 65 speed or greater.

When a runner is on first base, I tap the L2 button (meaning I press than let go) to initiate a steal. However, rather than letting it do it automatically, I then press and hold L2 to time it. Most people either tap and let the game try to automatically steal when the pitcher starts his windup, or they'll hold the button down and time it themselves, but I do both for some reason out of habit (OCD possibly?). I've noticed though that if I let go of L2 at about the right time the pitcher begins his windup, my runner will have the best jump possible.

I have tried doing just tapping the L2 and just holding the L2 and timing myself, but neither situation is as perfect as tapping, letting go, then holding and letting go. It will produce some of the best jumps you could possibly get as a runner, and will never be thrown out.

I am currently in the middle of May in my franchise, my team leads the MLB in steals, and I've never been thrown out a single time. Obviously I'm going to change this to make it more realistic for me, but this certainly has to be a bug, right?

Try it out for yourself if you don't believe me. You don't even need good timing when letting go of L2 either. I've noticed my runner take off before I even let go of L2 because of how bad my timing was, yet the jump was inhumanly good.
I believe this is a similar issue reported earlier in this forum. I filed a bug report:

http://theshownation.com/topics/2055...ealing-exploit

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »