Home

am i the only person who sheds a tear when Hakeem and Dennis rodman...

This is a discussion on am i the only person who sheds a tear when Hakeem and Dennis rodman... within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
MVP

Ownal0t's Arena

OVR: 0
am i the only person who sheds a tear when Hakeem and Dennis rodman...

spends the whole game spotting up on the 3 point line? like..... wtf? they aren't respectfully being used to set up the post game or to get boards. just to shoot 3s.

what is this game becoming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: am i the only person who sheds a tear when Hakeem and Dennis rodman...

It is becoming exactly what 2k wants it to become. A constant source of money. Realism went out the window when they realized people will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to get the next new upgraded player. It's a shame for sim gamers but I guess you can't blame 2k if people are willing to pay. The funny part is that having better players in MTO often doesn't give an advantage with the equalizer.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

This is actually an issue that's caused by the NBA and not 2K specifically. The current NBA everybody can shoot and anybody that can't is a liability. Look at the Season Elite cards. Drummond at the time was the best rebounder in the game, yet he was the only diamond player with a Buy now price, because he's somewhat of an old school center and those guys have no place in today's NBA. It's why you see Marc Gasol making more threes this year than he ever even attempted this year. Brook Lopez too.

If Hakeem got drafted today, he'd either already be able to shoot, or be coached to develop a jumpshot. To make him as valuable as he was to the game in his era, he'd have to be able to shoot. I don't think it's a big deal that he can step out and knock them down, however, I do feel OP's pain because watching guys like Earv, it's a beautiful thing watching him dominate the post.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Pro

anditbeg1ns's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
This is actually an issue that's caused by the NBA and not 2K specifically. The current NBA everybody can shoot and anybody that can't is a liability. Look at the Season Elite cards. Drummond at the time was the best rebounder in the game, yet he was the only diamond player with a Buy now price, because he's somewhat of an old school center and those guys have no place in today's NBA. It's why you see Marc Gasol making more threes this year than he ever even attempted this year. Brook Lopez too.

If Hakeem got drafted today, he'd either already be able to shoot, or be coached to develop a jumpshot. To make him as valuable as he was to the game in his era, he'd have to be able to shoot. I don't think it's a big deal that he can step out and knock them down, however, I do feel OP's pain because watching guys like Earv, it's a beautiful thing watching him dominate the post.

I think you missed the point. Historic players don't play like they're supposed to in this year's game because 2K turned this mode to what casual fans or teenagers wants (or only capable of), which is arcade style run and gun, turbo up court and shoot 3's with everyone on the court. This demographic finds the slow paced, low post, mid range, play running style of offense boring, or they don't understand basketball well enough to play that style, not that they're not effective. As Earv has shown, you can still dominate this game by working the post game.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by anditbeg1ns
I think you missed the point. Historic players don't play like they're supposed to in this year's game because 2K turned this mode to what casual fans or teenagers wants (or only capable of), which is arcade style run and gun, turbo up court and shoot 3's with everyone on the court. This demographic finds the slow paced, low post, mid range, play running style of offense boring, or they don't understand basketball well enough to play that style, not that they're not effective. As Earv has shown, you can still dominate this game by working the post game.
Pointless to blame 2K for it's player base's tendencies. If x type card doesn't have a 3, they would be replaced by a player that does for players that love 3s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by anditbeg1ns
I did not miss the point and in the real NBA nobody dominates in the post because it's too slow. Look at the Grizzlies, they have 2 of the most dominant post players in the league and they can't even make it out of the first round. They barely won a game because the style they have to play is outdated. Bigs get run off the floor. It's why Philly puts no time into developing Okafor. The current NBA is fast paced and 3 point heavy. Most old school bigs wouldn't survive, even if they could dominate in the post, they'd likely be rendered ineffective on defense when KAT, Boogie, KP, or AD drags them out to the perimeter and they become a liability. 2K has no choice but to update these classic players or they'd get run off the floor. Most of these players games are just outdated and to make them viable in today's game they have to have unrealistic stats.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

It's a sad thing what the NBA has become today. I grew up in the 90s so i watched guys like Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, KG, Tim Duncan, and even MJ dominate in the post.

Their footwork and fundamentals were just on another level. I think in real life now, developing a really good post game took too much work....so big guys preferred to just step out and shoot the 3. It helps that NBA offenses are designed for this now.

This has translated to 2K. But the misconception is, the post game is not dead. Far from it actually. In both 2k and real life, the post game is very effective......its just people dont know how to use it and prefer to shoot 3s instead. There's a reason Duncan has 5 championships and he didn't get them from shooting 3's
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 04-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
It's a sad thing what the NBA has become today. I grew up in the 90s so i watched guys like Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, KG, Tim Duncan, and even MJ dominate in the post.

Their footwork and fundamentals were just on another level. I think in real life now, developing a really good post game took too much work....so big guys preferred to just step out and shoot the 3. It helps that NBA offenses are designed for this now.

This has translated to 2K. But the misconception is, the post game is not dead. Far from it actually. In both 2k and real life, the post game is very effective......its just people dont know how to use it and prefer to shoot 3s instead. There's a reason Duncan has 5 championships and he didn't get them from shooting 3's
I think the problem comes in when the NBA game goes too far in one direction. In the 90s there were a lot of post play slugfests. Now almost every team is looking to pace and space.

The beauty of MyTeam, in theory, is that you should be able to use both styles effectively...but also that you should have to deal with each style's and each player's weaknesses. The issue is that when every new card is without weaknesses and guys who never shot 3s get an 85-90 open 3 rating, they don't play anything like their real life counterparts. So if you're playing against Hakeem you've got to worry about him all over the floor instead of just inside the 3 point arc. Every player has a weakness in real life. In 2K, that's not always the case. It lends itself towards a certain style of play and many teams have the same 5 or 6 guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »