Home

What do you guys feel should be done with the potential system in 2k18?

This is a discussion on What do you guys feel should be done with the potential system in 2k18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
What do you guys feel should be done with the potential system in 2k18?

Do you think the player progression and potential system in myleague and mygm is fine right now? Personally I think every single attribute should get its own potential rating instead of just one overall potential rating.

Don't know about you guys, but after a few years of MyLeague or GM, i'm starting to see wayyyy too many guys with 99 standing layups and stuff like that.

I'd like to see every attribute get its own potential high and potential low ratings, that way we can have a lot more control over how players progress throughout their careers.

For example, maybe you have a rookie who comes into the league with an 83 three pointer. With the current progression and potential system, that 83 would most likely turn into a 99 by the end of that players career if his overall potential rating is high enough.

But maybe you don't want it to become a 99. Maybe you want it to only go up to an 86 or 88. Then once he hits his peak and starts to regress, that's where the potential low would come into place. Maybe after this player starts to exit his prime, his three point rating regress's down to a 77 or whatever you want it to regress down to.

Hoped this all made sense. Just something i'd really like to see in 2k18. I personally think the potential rating is far too broad right now and needs to be more narrowed down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
MVP

Re: What do you guys feel should be done with the potential system in 2k18?

That would take alot of coding. Maybe you could just go and edit player ratings.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsoGood
That would take alot of coding. Maybe you could just go and edit player ratings.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Don't really see how it would take a lot of coding. Of course it would take some, but it's not like it would be an impassible task. The progression system is garbage right now imo and who the hell has the time and desire to go through and edit every single player in the whole league?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 AM   #4
MVP

Nevermind. Maybe they will add your idea

Last edited by TGsoGood; 04-20-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsoGood
Nevermind. Maybe they will add your idea
Good news.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I have been advocating for this type of progression system for years. Overall ratings are just too vague. I want every single rating to have a potential max that may or may not be reached. I think that would give more varied players and styles.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I have been advocating for this type of progression system for years. Overall ratings are just too vague. I want every single rating to have a potential max that may or may not be reached. I think that would give more varied players and styles.
It would definetly make the game modes like MyLeague and MyGM a lot more diverse and realistic. For example, when shaq was a rookie he averaged like 3+ blocks a game, but that was the most he would ever average for his whole career. People don't always progress in every area like they do right now.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I completely agree with what you've suggested for the potential high/low for each attribute and not basing it solely on an overall potential high and age range. The current system doesn't allow enough flexibility for breakout stars like Hassan Whiteside or CJ McCollum a couple years ago, or like a Yogi Ferrell this year (went from not on a roster and 64 ovrl to 75 ovrl by end of season) or big busts like Anthony Bennett or Michael Beasley, it's really pretty linear. This kind of thing could be achieved with a potential high/low for every attribute, couple this with a potential peak start/end high and low and that could produce a little more randomness.

Another big problem with potential is it doesn't react to actual performace. I really love the idea of having a slider for 'Preformance Impact on Player Growth'. For instance I just finished a season with the Kings and Malachi Richardson averaged 22 pts, 4 rebs, 5 ast over the course of the season as a 69 ovrl. The following season he moved up to a lofty 71 ovrl. I get that the progression is based on the player's peak start and potential but it should definitely factor in guys having breakout seasons. I'm not saying he should have been like 85 ovrl but I mean improving to mid to upper 70s overall seems realistic. (And yes I know overall isn't the end-all, be-all, but it would be nice to see the progress reflected somewhere in his attributes rather than just his stats) Conversely maybe you use Steph and average 5 ppg... (just as an example). He probably wouldn't be a 95 after that season, still good like upper 80s based on his past but it should respond a little bit to the player's season. Basically, player potential and overall attribute movement should be more fluid and possible to change especially based on a full season or seasons of play. More busts and gems would show up that way. But others may want progression to work more like it does currently so a slider for that would be perfect.

Another thing along those lines would be more control over player growth/regression in the offseason. I don't mind the training camp system but it's so limited. First of all I only ever end up with 1 or 2, I should be able to train more than 2 players in the offseason. Something like a more expansive version of the current system with x amount of points to spend on your team and you could spread them out over the whole team and it may not impact one guy too much but maybe everyone on the team improves a little. Or you can focus on a couple guys and they see big increases. You may also want to skip over some guys you feel are "washed up". Mix in just enough randomness (the amount of points they increase isn't fixed, you might waste your points on someone who has already reached their full potential at an attribute) and customization of what skill areas to focus on by player and it could be awesome. It could also produce unexpectedly good players and unexpected busts. If you don't work on a player they don't improve much and if you dedicate a lot to one person they might break out.

Those are just a couple of thoughts I had about this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »