Home

justmunc Fictional 2017

This is a discussion on justmunc Fictional 2017 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #1
Rookie

justmunc's Arena

OVR: 0
justmunc Fictional 2017

Hello All!

There have been a few of you who've followed my progress in completing the next installment of my fictional roster. For those who have not followed along, let me give you the run down.

I first got into MLB The Show back in 2014. I've always enjoyed playing my sports games as if it were a parallel universe. At the time, I couldn't find a fictional roster that suited me and didn't see that changing. With that, I decided to go ahead with the daunting task of single-handedly making a roster from scratch. After months of work, I was able to complete my first ever fictional set, but by the time it was done, the next game was already on its way! There were many flaws, as you could imagine, but I didn't know where to start to fix them. I only did minor adjustments in the next set, but found I was still unsatisfied with my own work so I decided to take a year and figure out the best way to go about this task.

This current project actually got started back in August of last year. I completely did away with my previous work and started from scratch. The process of creating players, finding the best team placements, editing equipment and contracts, took about 6 months! Unfortunately, because of the completely revamped player model in 17', the process will have to be prolonged. Further player editing is in order before the roster's unveiling, but I'm willing to put in the time to make sure this project is perfect.

Now, I can't promise a certain time frame due to my inconsistent schedule, but I will document my progress through this thread. When a team is complete, I will post a complete analysis (of that team) to give you an in-depth feel for the roster. My goal is for you to completely be submerged in this fictional world that you'll know these players as if they were real.

So, my progress will begin with the Baltimore Orioles and end with the San Francisco Giants. The moment when the Giants analysis is complete, so will the roster! If you have any questions regarding my methods, my thought process, or anything of that nature, please feel free to ask. Hopefully some of you will follow along and I hope all of you that do, will enjoy the ride! Thanks!

Here are some of my previous works throughout my time on OSFM:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...al-roster.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...2700-base.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...oster-ps4.html

****UPDATE 06/16/2017****:

For all you loyal followers...I finally give you my completed 2017 Fictional Roster!

You can find this in the roster vault under the name: justmunc Fictional 17

If you enjoy the roster, I would greatly appreciate positive ratings in the roster vault so more gamers can find it! I also greatly appreciate any type of comments, suggestions, or even updates on your own experiences! Thank you guys

****UPDATE 06/18/2017****

Here is a link to walk-up songs for every position player on each 40-man roster. This was done a few months ago so newer songs may not be featured.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oaj9uk3lk...4WcUeHHWa?dl=0

Last edited by justmunc; 06-18-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
Rookie

justmunc's Arena

Re: justmunc Fictional 2017

I have completed the write up for the Orioles. After this, they should start coming in bunches.

Baltimore Orioles

Team Rankings
Hitting: 12th
Pitching: 22nd
Speed: 2nd
Defense: 6th
Overall: 15th

2017 Projected Record and Finish

96-66 (.593), first place in American League East (3rd overall)

The Case For Baltimore

The Orioles have one of the league's best offensive attacks. The top of the order consisting of Rollins, Tatis, Stevenson, and Trammel will give opposing teams nightmares. They're all threats to go deep and also have the ability to generate runs with their feet. Speed can also be found throughout the rest of the starting lineup.

Oh yeah, they also have the best first baseman in the entire league! Kyle Stevenson will benefit from having dangerous batters all around, not that he needed it, anyways. You can basically pencil him in for a 40/100/.300 line.

On the other side of the ball, the Orioles feature a very quality starter in Mac Overton. Overton will lead the rotation and will consistently produce quality outings.

Overall, the best thing going for Baltimore, is the rest of the division. We have them taking the AL East with fair ease, mostly due to their ability to over match the rest of the teams. What will happen in the playoffs? Who knows but besides an average Toronto team, the rest of the division won't have a chance.

The Case Against Baltimore

Besides the already mentioned Mac Overton, the other arms in the rotation/pen don't really jump off the screen. Mediocrity could doom them from the start, especially if Overton can't meet expectations.

With lofty expectations, the offense could easily find themselves under performing. That coupled with a questionable pitching staff, the Orioles could be in trouble.

The problem with having an MVP caliber player, if there was one, is that if his bat goes AWOL at any time, the rest of the lineup can instantly look a lot less intimi******.

X-Factor: Mac Overton

Overton can determine whether or not this is the season for Baltimore. The expectations that have been placed on him must be met or exceeded if they plan on playing meaningful games in September.

Scout's Takes

Most Overrated: Reuben Mesa SS

When looking at paper, you'll see that Mesa is listed as a top 5 SS in the league. What you also might find are the raves about his rocket launcher of an arm and above average defense. However, that out-of-the-world arm and solid defense can't hide how much of a liability he is at the plate.

Most Underrated: Seth Rollins LF

Often overlooked by the likes of Kyle Stevenson and Emilio Tatis, Rollins is an admirable top of the lineup guy. He carries a solid bat and has plus speed. What does that give you? Lots of runs. Look for him to carry .275/.335/.440 line plus about 15 stolen bases.

Prospect Scouting

Potential is based on the 20/80 scale

#1 C-Dan Portillo
Potential - 65
Strengths - Great defensive catcher and will thrive versus LHP pitching
Weaknesses - Has catcher speed. His arm strength will get tested plenty by
runners. Vision at the plate isn't tremendous
#2 LHP-Duncan DiBiase
Potential - 65
Strengths - Has a plus curveball in a 5 pitch repitore. Has swing and miss
stuff
Weaknesses - Control needs some work and home runs could be a problem
#3 RF-Travis McGraw
Potential - 60
Strengths - Perennial power, great discipline, and an above average fielder,
especially with his size.
Weaknesses - Prone to K's. Can be a liability against LHP. Not very fast
#4 RHP Peter Aaron
Potential - 60
Strengths - Performs well int he clutch, closer potential, lots of K's, great
fastballs (2SM & 4SM)
Weaknesses - Can lose consistency out of nowhere and he gives up a fair
share of hits
#5 C-Kevin Evers
Potential - 55
Strengths - Good stick against lefties and righties. Above average arm
Weaknesses - Discipline needs work and defense is below average
#6 LHP-Evan Kirkland
Potential - 55
Strengths - Doesn't give up the long ball often, 2SMFB is lively
Weaknesses - Doesn't have a clear put away pitch and prone to inconsistency
#7 RHP-Alexander Reyes
Potential - 55
Strengths - Lots of deception in his pitches, curveball can be a plus pitch
Weaknesses - Control could be a problem, lots of walks, and not particuarly
good under pressure
#8 SS-Grant Cannon
Potential - 55
Strengths - Already has an above average bat. Splits are identical. Solid arm
at SS
Weaknesses - Range will be tested, not incredibly fast for the position.
Almost already at his ceiling
#9 C-Rossmel Perez
Potential - 55
Strengths - Good contact, plus plate vision, plus arm, above average
defender
Weaknesses - Liability with RISP and is double play prone
#10 1B-Blake Millar
Potential - 55
Strengths - Sees both pitching sides well (better LHP splits), consistent good
at-bats, and arm is good enough to play across the diamond
Weaknesses - Not much pop against right handers and his aggressiveness on
the bases don't match his slow speed
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
lek
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have been following and using your rosters from the start. Fantastic writeup. I just got the 2017 version of the game almost exclusively for the new set. Looking forward to the new ones and thank you again for all the amazing work!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
MVP

brent3419's Arena

OVR: 6

I laughed when i saw the kingslayer on the roster lol. I can't wait to see this roster

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
MLB: Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves
MLS: Seattle Sounders
NCAAFB: Miami (FL), Mississippi State, Arkansas
International Soccer: AC Milan, PSG, US National Soccer, German National Soccer
Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #5
Rookie

justmunc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent3419
I laughed when i saw the kingslayer on the roster lol. I can't wait to see this roster

I had to add a little flavor
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
Rookie

jbdog3's Arena

OVR: 2

How are you handling service time and contracts? Will every player have 0 service time and will all players start with a rookie salary. I think a fictional roster is a great idea, but I've always wondered how service time and contracts should be implemented.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Rookie

justmunc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdog3
How are you handling service time and contracts? Will every player have 0 service time and will all players start with a rookie salary. I think a fictional roster is a great idea, but I've always wondered how service time and contracts should be implemented.
My mindset in that was that it took so long to put this roster together and adding service time to all these guys would take even longer. What I did was give every single player a completely fresh time clock but gave out normal contracts based on the team. I haven't quite tested free agency with this method but it can't be that bad. If anything, the first few years may be a little funky and nontraditional.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Great job on the write up. Looking forward to this roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »