Home

Player Evaluation

This is a discussion on Player Evaluation within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Player Evaluation

I'm perceiving the market gaps between diamonds, golds, and the rest to be based solely on name recognition rather than attributes and productive value. While there are a couple golds I would like to acquire, simply because I like those players, I can't justify the price, as it seems a platooned roster of silvers provides comparable meaningful attributes and production.

Given pitching is overpowered and the attribute based nature of the game, I see offensive production to be far more valuable than anything else. That being the case, as a zone hitter, I'm mostly valuing vision, power, and contact, in that order, with some additional consideration given to handedness and lineup fit.

But when considering the odds for obtaining diamond/gold as an item reward as well as their market evaluation, I'm questioning if I'm overlooking/undervaluing other critical attributes. Or am I correct that the market evaluations are simply a result of name recognition and scarcity rather than productive value?

What attributes do you use to evaluate players and assign value?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Rookie

SigmundFraud's Arena

Re: Player Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
I'm perceiving the market gaps between diamonds, golds, and the rest to be based solely on name recognition rather than attributes and productive value. While there are a couple golds I would like to acquire, simply because I like those players, I can't justify the price, as it seems a platooned roster of silvers provides comparable meaningful attributes and production.

Given pitching is overpowered and the attribute based nature of the game, I see offensive production to be far more valuable than anything else. That being the case, as a zone hitter, I'm mostly valuing vision, power, and contact, in that order, with some additional consideration given to handedness and lineup fit.

But when considering the odds for obtaining diamond/gold as an item reward as well as their market evaluation, I'm questioning if I'm overlooking/undervaluing other critical attributes. Or am I correct that the market evaluations are simply a result of name recognition and scarcity rather than productive value?

What attributes do you use to evaluate players and assign value?

A prime example of what you're talking about is Nolan arenado.. great player in real life, however I look at his attributes and I don't see how he's worth as much (or really anywhere near) as people are paying for him.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmundFraud
A prime example of what you're talking about is Nolan arenado.. great player in real life, however I look at his attributes and I don't see how he's worth as much (or really anywhere near) as people are paying for him.
And how Bryce Harper is worth an obscene amount of dosh for a 90
Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

I agree. I have some golds and some diamons thanks to conquest mode and such but Im still playing a lot of silver guys because I like how they play and their attributes more.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdfc
And how Bryce Harper is worth an obscene amount of dosh for a 90
Harper's ranked 30th of the 55 players (ordered by where they appear on the Community Market) I need to complete all the teams. Yet he's 6th behind only Trout, Kershaw, Altuve, Bryant and Donaldson, in terms of Stubs per Rating point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
Banned

The reason the cost so much is because they complete the collection at the highest value player. Harper is a higher value than Max or Stras. Pitching isnt valued as high as the hitters when completing the collection.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

Yeah, pitchers tend to fall way lower on the wire. But you still get some oddities like Andrew Miller
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Rookie

warriorskins's Arena

A lot of players are expensive purely because of the collection's their tied too, like Brian Dozier going for over 12k stubs, and some of it is name and upgrade potential, like Harper, he's popular and has a good chance of going up in OVR even though there are tons of better bang for your buck options.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »