Home

Shot Stick Timing vs. Real Player % -- I've made my decision

This is a discussion on Shot Stick Timing vs. Real Player % -- I've made my decision within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Rookie

Wolverine3's Arena

OVR: 5
Shot Stick Timing vs. Real Player % -- I've made my decision

I will preface by saying I'm a long time 2K association mode guy. Huge sim-head, started with 2K11. Always been a big roster editor (started with REDitor on 2k11, never looked back). Make my own roster and sliders every year using OS files as a base. I would like to say I have achieved good results in trying to make 2K as sim as possible.

A killer debate I've always had is Real Player % vs. Shot Timing. I've switched many times, but I would say about 75% of my time on 2K has been using Real Player %. To me, I've always felt that I wanted my players to shoot the ball just as their attributes are. I didn't want my skill to interrupt what the attributes should be displaying on the court.

But I've changed my mind. Real Player % drastically limits the # of shots you can actually make. So I'm mostly talking about 3pt shots here, but to me that is the most important shot when deciding how I want my shots to be.

So by limiting the players 3pt% to a certain number based on his ratings, it makes it way harder to hit consecutive 3pt shots and to make a lot of 3pts in one game. You rarely see average to above-average 3pt shooters on the user team make three 3pts in a row unless your 3pt sliders are very high. Yes, players don't make three 3pts in a row often, but it should happen occasionally. I've played ~90 games so far on 2k17, I had never made three 3pters in a row until I switched to Shot Stick Timing. It was too infuriating to work and work for good shots but just miss them simply because the players attribute was too low. At least now I have a chance at making each shot I take.

I would love to hear some other opinions, but I think I'm going with Shot Stick Timing for good now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Shot Stick Timing vs. Real Player % -- I've made my decision

I prefer user timing. Today they made it a little harder to get a green release which brings it closer to the real% aspect but you still have the ability to hit multiple shots in a row due to skill. I may need to adjust my user timing shooting sliders a little because non greens still miss a lot. I need to find a good balance.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine3
I will preface by saying I'm a long time 2K association mode guy. Huge sim-head, started with 2K11. Always been a big roster editor (started with REDitor on 2k11, never looked back). Make my own roster and sliders every year using OS files as a base. I would like to say I have achieved good results in trying to make 2K as sim as possible.

A killer debate I've always had is Real Player % vs. Shot Timing. I've switched many times, but I would say about 75% of my time on 2K has been using Real Player %. To me, I've always felt that I wanted my players to shoot the ball just as their attributes are. I didn't want my skill to interrupt what the attributes should be displaying on the court.

But I've changed my mind. Real Player % drastically limits the # of shots you can actually make. So I'm mostly talking about 3pt shots here, but to me that is the most important shot when deciding how I want my shots to be.

So by limiting the players 3pt% to a certain number based on his ratings, it makes it way harder to hit consecutive 3pt shots and to make a lot of 3pts in one game. You rarely see average to above-average 3pt shooters on the user team make three 3pts in a row unless your 3pt sliders are very high. Yes, players don't make three 3pts in a row often, but it should happen occasionally. I've played ~90 games so far on 2k17, I had never made three 3pters in a row until I switched to Shot Stick Timing. It was too infuriating to work and work for good shots but just miss them simply because the players attribute was too low. At least now I have a chance at making each shot I take.

I would love to hear some other opinions, but I think I'm going with Shot Stick Timing for good now.
Thats the exact same reason im changing my shooting to user timing for the first time in 4-5 years...you donīt have the ability with real% shooting to go crazy with curry or red hot with whichever player you use.I want to hit 3-4 three pointers in a row with Curry for example like he sometimes does in real life.Iīve never managed to hit 3 in a row with real% in 2k17, not atleast in 3 consecutive attacks.With user timing it might get frustrating also not to get those green releases ,but at least i have the opportunity to make 3-4-5 or more shots in a row.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Rookie

Wolverine3's Arena

OVR: 5

Exactly! You guys are definitely on the same page as me. I've noticed that when using Shot Stick Timing, shots seem to miss really, really badly a lot. Have you noticed this? Like I've gotten a ton of shots that just barely clank off the rim.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine3
Exactly! You guys are definitely on the same page as me. I've noticed that when using Shot Stick Timing, shots seem to miss really, really badly a lot. Have you noticed this? Like I've gotten a ton of shots that just barely clank off the rim.
Yep. I'm about to bump user 3's up to 39 in my set. I already have mid at 40. Works fine for me that way. My numbers are now 37, 37, 40, 39. I'm good to go. I don't want to make it too easy but i do want some shots falling that aren't green.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2017, 05:20 AM   #6
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

OVR: 0

The main reason I stay on user timing even though switching will make the game more challenging and realistic is the fact that in a late game situation I want to shoot the ball, not have the game determine it for me.
I had a few game winner shot attempts on this game, and if I made them it was so satisfying, I MADE the shot, not the game.
That's the biggest pro for user timing
Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Just started!

I've been playing with Real Player% for years because i don't want to learn the shot timing for every single player. I agree that with user timing you can hit multiple green shots in a row which is very difficult to do with Real Player% but i hate doing the timing for layups, so i usually miss easy points.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Rookie

How do you practice it? Cause when I am at practice I get a lot of greens, but in game is always horrible! I wish I could go lights out, but it's so damn hard in game.

I find myself driving and abusing the paint to save my life very often.

I played the whole year on real %

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »