Home

Convince me to switch to directional hitting

This is a discussion on Convince me to switch to directional hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Convince me to switch to directional hitting

I noticed this was the default on the game's load page. I've been using analog with flick since last year's game, with stride before that (but I didn't like how goofy it made the replays look).

Why should I switch to directional? I like the power vs/ contact swing aspect, if I'm down 2 in the 9th I wanna swing for the fences and not leave it up to the fates. But timing it seems so easy, I want at least some challenge.

Thoughts appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Convince me to switch to directional hitting

I'm an analog with stride guy. Have been since 11 and will never go back. Just find it so rewarding to tee one up with perfect timing using the stick, rather than just click a button.

For what it's worth, with analog you can press Square or Circle before the pitch for either power or contact, and it triggers the same impact of the different face buttons.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 27

It takes player ratings into effect. I have never used another hitting mode and I have played this game since MLB 07.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
It takes player ratings into effect. I have never used another hitting mode and I have played this game since MLB 07.

Don't you put up ludicrous numbers then? I just found it way too easy, but am wondering if that was just 3 innings of beginner's luck. I do have games where I hack at everything with analog and have the frustrating 1 run on 10 hit performance-- open to directional, just want to know that it doesn't get too easy.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelscf88
Don't you put up ludicrous numbers then? I just found it way too easy, but am wondering if that was just 3 innings of beginner's luck. I do have games where I hack at everything with analog and have the frustrating 1 run on 10 hit performance-- open to directional, just want to know that it doesn't get too easy.
No not at all. To me, it is the best way to hit for realistic numbers. There are a lot of others on OS who will vouch for this hitting mode too.

I also don't use it as Directional. I turn off the camera movement feature and use it strictly as Timing Hitting.

Gotta give it a bigger sample size than 3 innings. Every game is different just like real life baseball.

I played a game the other night with the Phillies against the Pirates and I crushed them 10-2. Played a game last night and I couldn't have hit the ball if it was a beach ball. Lol.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
No not at all. To me, it is the best way to hit for realistic numbers. There are a lot of others on OS who will vouch for this hitting mode too.

I also don't use it as Directional. I turn off the camera movement feature and use it strictly as Timing Hitting.

Gotta give it a bigger sample size than 3 innings. Every game is different just like real life baseball.

I played a game the other night with the Phillies against the Pirates and I crushed them 10-2. Played a game last night and I couldn't have hit the ball if it was a beach ball. Lol.

Agree 100%. If you want ratings to matter, go with directional/timing.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

It was still too random when I tried to use it in '16. Is that the case in '17? I had used timing hitting every year up until 13 when the timing window was changed and seemed to affect the randomness of timing hitting. I've used zone ever since.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:

Personally I enjoy zone hitting the most. I haven't played except for the install game and then had to goto bed and it awaits for me after work and always use all star difficulty except for throwing I have that set to veteran cause I was get mad at something where I barely make a mistake and it doesn't feel like a sim anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »