Home

Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

This is a discussion on Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have always been a big believer that one of a sports game's highest priorities for success is defining team and player differences (Skills, styles, behaviors) to create the most exciting, organic and realistic atmosphere in the game play.

This is what keeps the game always fun and interesting to play once all the gloss of the new graphics and features wear off. Its these things that keep u coming back to play more and its also these things that immerse you deeper into the Franchise

So my question that I always wanted to open for discussion with all you here at OS was....

Do you think that The Show, with all its focus for authenticity and realism, actually does enough to define player individuality with the included RATINGS and ATTRIBUTES that they have been using each year?

In comparison, you look at a game like NBA 2K, and they literally have a player profile that is several pages deep that define a player's likeness.

What do you guys think?.....Do they do enough, or could they add even more attributes?....if so, in what areas?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Do you Feel MLB uses enough ATTRIBUTES to DEFINE Players?

Maybe pitchers need a couple more, and catchers maybe one for pitch framing, but I dont think we need a whole heap more.

A Work in Progress
Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

OVR: 0

Would definitely love to have a pitch framing rating for catchers. And a better rating system for managers and coaches.
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Rookie

zman2392's Arena

OVR: 3

One thing I would like is pitching vs LHP or RHP. I know we have batter ratings for that but a stat for pitching would really nail bullpen logic and LOOGY's.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
MVP

dran1984's Arena

They need to adjust the durability attribute and create a injury attribute. They are not the same thing. They also could add a pitch framing attribute as was already mentioned.

I would like the players to match up to their real counter parts more accurately then they currently do. A lot of the current attributes for things like fielding and arm strength tend to be inaccurate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #6
MVP

dran1984's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
Would definitely love to have a pitch framing rating for catchers. And a better rating system for managers and coaches.
This has to be one of the most annoying things in the game. Managers and coaches have no effect on a players arm strength or things like that. That's just plain dumb. So many of the top rated managers/coaches have low ratings in the game.

Maybe they could add an IQ attribute for the players and allow the coaches to slightly influence intangibles or something like that.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Rookie

jgb3's Arena

OVR: 0

Off the top of my head, the current power rating is massively flawed as it governs both extra base hits and home runs. This has serious downside.

For example, Jose Ramirez was an XBH machine in 2016 - only Daniel Murphy had more 2B and 3B . And yet, Ramirez only hit 11 homers in 2016. He needs a power rating that can govern his relative inability to hit home runs and his relative knack for the extra base knock. The current power rating definition does not allow room for both of these extremes to exist. If he has a power rating of 70, he will hit far too many homers. And if he has a power rating of anything less, he will hit too few xbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dran1984
This has to be one of the most annoying things in the game. Managers and coaches have no effect on a players arm strength or things like that. That's just plain dumb. So many of the top rated managers/coaches have low ratings in the game.

Maybe they could add an IQ attribute for the players and allow the coaches to slightly influence intangibles or something like that.
Managers don't have any effect on a pitchers arm strength and they shouldn't in the game either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »