Home

Player Edits for Sim Gameplay (Player Skills, Styles, COM Styles)

This is a discussion on Player Edits for Sim Gameplay (Player Skills, Styles, COM Styles) within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Rookie

dmendenhall_9's Arena

OVR: 0
Player Edits for Sim Gameplay (Player Skills, Styles, COM Styles)

I decided to start my own thread discussing Player Edits. I have posted in some other threads but the discussion there is more about player positioning and tactics and this thread is solely devoted to the player edits. I am using Papinho's tactics with some slight alterations here and there.

My process for editing players is pretty simple. I use stats from whoscored and made a simple spreadsheet where I can check off what skills or styles to give to each player. I am very generous with giving players marking/trackback because this increases the difficulty of passing the ball through the middle of the pitch. With players given Marking skill they pressure the ball much quicker and higher up the field (like Tight Marking advanced tactic but can be given individually). I also give most offensive players (and offensive fullbacks) Malicia as it increases the number of fouls in a game.

The other key point is that I rarely if ever give any players the dribbling COM styles (incisive run, agility king, speeding bullet, trickster). These styles force the computer to over dribble and because of that they are very easy to defend and tackle. If I want a player to perform more tricks and skills I will give them more feint moves (scissor, scotch move, etc.) in the player skills area.

Below is an example of West Brom vs Tottenham (with Papinho's tactics) before and after player edits. Without the player edits it already plays pretty good (because of tactics and formation changes) but there is a noticeable difference in the intelligence of the AI once the players are edited. I really love how Tottenham plays a possession game while West Brom sits back and tries to swallow up every offensive move and then counter. I will post the spreadsheets I used below the videos. Check it out and let me know what you think about the differences.

p.s. The player edits aren't perfect and I would make a few changes to some of he player styles I selected. Also these are both AI vs AI games.

BEFORE PLAYER EDITS
Spoiler

AFTER PLAYER EDITS
Spoiler

Editing Spreadsheets
Spoiler

Last edited by dmendenhall_9; 01-16-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Player Edits for Sim Gameplay (Player Skills, Styles, COM Styles)

If I make these edits now, would they go into my ML? Or do you have to start a new ML?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Rookie

dmendenhall_9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
If I make these edits now, would they go into my ML? Or do you have to start a new ML?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, I think you would have to start a new ML.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Rookie

I'm totally agree with your edit
Interesting about Malicia, the last year i've done the same , because the referee was not scripted (IMO) was just a player who ran over the field wacthing the match from a better view
This year the referee is a little more present but the fouls are again too few, so probably I will do the same for the most part of quick and skilled players.
I'm agree also with the Mark-man ability
Good work

Last edited by kilay; 01-17-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
Rookie

dmendenhall_9's Arena

Another exciting edition of let's see how Player Edits make this game so much better! This time featuring Napoli and Inter Milan. I am not going to write a ton here because the description in the YouTube videos has most of the information I am trying to get across with the videos. They also have time signatures so you can zoom around the video to the parts I have highlighted. For this reason, I will just put links below so you can open the video on YouTube and read my comments and descriptions.

These last matches have convinced me that the game is only playable after Player Edits (hyperbole, I know) and for me, they change the whole dynamic of the game and make it so much fun!

BEFORE Player Edits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvObcR0YGyo

AFTER Player Edits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53xemXve98

Player Edits Napoli
Spoiler

Player Edits Inter Milan
Spoiler

Check out the videos and let me know what you think! Should I change any of the edits I have made or do they look good?

Last edited by dmendenhall_9; 01-20-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Looks good to me, Dmend. I love the idea of actually just remove the Player Cards/Skills completely. Hated when PES introduced that. If it worked fine without it in older PES, why implement it now?

Some of the video is throwing me off though. @13:11 mark for example...holy crapola...I have never seen that many players surrounding 1 player in all my playing days (real and virtual). It's like they are still caught in two minds, and are freaking out...man.

I know that may be something we can't control, but it really stands out in those CPU v CPU matches. I still stand firm on believing that there is no need to change the fluid formation away from the In Possession, but I'll leave that for it's own posts. I just believe that is why we see this constant 'caught in two minds' animations all over the pitch.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmendenhall_9
Another exciting edition of let's see how Player Edits make this game so much better! This time featuring Napoli and Inter Milan. I am not going to write a ton here because the description in the YouTube videos has most of the information I am trying to get across with the videos. They also have time signatures so you can zoom around the video to the parts I have highlighted. For this reason, I will just put links below so you can open the video on YouTube and read my comments and descriptions.

These last matches have convinced me that the game is only playable after Player Edits (hyperbole, I know) and for me, they change the whole dynamic of the game and make it so much fun!

BEFORE Player Edits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvObcR0YGyo

AFTER Player Edits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53xemXve98

Player Edits Napoli
Spoiler

Player Edits Inter Milan
Spoiler

Check out the videos and let me know what you think! Should I change any of the edits I have made or do they look good?
Could i see your tacts before the second match (all three fluid formations) ?
In the video I found only the Kick off
Old 01-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Looks good to me, Dmend. I love the idea of actually just remove the Player Cards/Skills completely. Hated when PES introduced that. If it worked fine without it in older PES, why implement it now?

Some of the video is throwing me off though. @13:11 mark for example...holy crapola...I have never seen that many players surrounding 1 player in all my playing days (real and virtual). It's like they are still caught in two minds, and are freaking out...man.

I know that may be something we can't control, but it really stands out in those CPU v CPU matches. I still stand firm on believing that there is no need to change the fluid formation away from the In Possession, but I'll leave that for it's own posts. I just believe that is why we see this constant 'caught in two minds' animations all over the pitch.
Could be relative with the marking ability? (assigned to the most of the players)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmendenhall_9

I'm totally agree with you

Last edited by kilay; 01-21-2017 at 06:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »