Home

I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic

This is a discussion on I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Rookie

billiethetree's Arena

OVR: 0
I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic

I started playing MyTeam in 2k13 and I loved the idea of playing cross generational fantasy teams, almost as if to end those arguments of who was better or which era was better. Now, in an effort to spice things up and try to get users to have more variety in teams, 2k has thrown the baby out with the bath water and given a lot of historical players completely non sensical ratings. And the dynamic duos just exasperate this even more.

Case in point, the Shaq-Penny duo. The idea of duos in theory sounds fun, but the application has been horrid. Yeah, maybe Magic Shaq played better with Penny, but why buff his FT to 85?? Why would Penny have an effect on his FT %? I realize this is a fantasy mode for fun, but this is totally immersion breaking. I want to play 95 Shaq vs other historic centers, but what's the point of playing with historic players if their ratings are completely nonsensical? It's not Shaq, just some random center with random stats. If you wanna buff shaq up to his greatest level of all time well ok, but he still wasn't shooting %70 from the line. I've yet to see a player in MTO miss a FT with the Diamond Shaq and his duo.

This goes across the board, especially with 3 PT buffs given to historic players who never would have shot a 3. You wanna make Pistol Pete, Rick Barry, or Jerry West 3 point threats? Okay I'll buy that, but Jerry Lucas? They may as well have just made up random players for all of the historical accuracy this mode provides. I would be ok if some of these things just made players overpowered, that's almost to be expected. But it's as if 2k put absolutely no thought (shocker) into any of these ratings and boosts and just did them at random.

Last edited by billiethetree; 12-16-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: I wish 2k at least tried to make historic ratings realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiethetree
I started playing MyTeam in 2k13 and I loved the idea of playing cross generational fantasy teams, almost as if to end those arguments of who was better or which era was better. Now, in an effort to spice things up and try to get users to have more variety in teams, 2k has thrown the baby out with the bath water and given a lot of historical players completely non sensical ratings. And the dynamic duos just exasperate this even more.

Case in point, the Shaq-Penny duo. The idea of duos in theory sounds fun, but the application has been horrid. Yeah, maybe Magic Shaq played better with Penny, but why buff his FT to 85?? Why would Penny have an effect on his FT %? I realize this is a fantasy mode for fun, but this is totally immersion breaking. I want to play 95 Shaq vs other historic centers, but what's the point of playing with historic players if their ratings are completely nonsensical? It's not Shaq, just some random center with random stats. If you wanna buff shaq up to his greatest level of all time well ok, but he still wasn't shooting %70 from the line. I've yet to see a player in MTO miss a FT with the Diamond Shaq and his duo.

This goes across the board, especially with 3 PT buffs given to historic players who never would have shot a 3. You wanna make Pistol Pete, Rick Barry, or Jerry West 3 point threats? Okay I'll buy that, but Jerry Lucas? They may as well have just made up random players for all of the historical accuracy this mode provides. I would be ok if some of these things just made players overpowered, that's almost to be expected. But it's as if 2k put absolutely no thought (shocker) into any of these ratings and boosts and just did them at random.

I can understand on the shaq point, but lucas had range, along with west and pete. The only ratings I think are bad is the 7'4 plus players bol,bradley,gheorge they were putrid in real life but for some reason have good shot contest ratings and what not
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
MVP

They give the shooting range to guys that make sense. But they buff past point that can be justified.

But it makes the historic guys more relevant/playable. Out of all things that 2K does, this I'm more ir less okay with.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Banned

It always annoys me how guys like Shaq and Ben Wallace shoot 100% from the FT line every game even without DD influence.

It also annoys me how guys like Michael Cooper, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, Robert Pack and Michael Jordan splash 3s easily every game, usually out shooting people actually known for being great shooters.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Rookie

billiethetree's Arena

Maybe Jerry Lucas isn't the MOST egregious example as he was something of a shooter, but his open 3 PT rating is an 88 compared to Ruby Dirk which is an 86. Cmon man, Jerry could hit a jumper but now he's better than the best shooting big man of all time?

How about Diamond Sabonis? He has an 80 open 3 rating, and seems to shoot at an even higher clip than that. He made .3 threes a game on .328 shooting for his career. This kind of stuff just takes this mode into NBA Jam or NBA Street territory.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
MVP

Generally 3 pt shooting has been really generous this year in ratings but with historic they went over the top. Raptors Bosh, hawks Dominique, David Thompson. Absurd
Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
MVP

If you want things to be realistic and true-to-statistics, then it's going to be frustrating.

I suggest that you try to accept that it's ultimately a game and 2K will try to balance out players in a way that's akin to how a game developer will try to balance out characters in a fighting game like Street Fighter or an FPS like Overwatch.

So, yeah, Sabonis probably doesn't deserve an 80 Open 3, but the reality is that, 2K is trying to have him have a place amongst Diamond Centers. Trying to make it so that any of them are compelling choices, but one's choice depends on one's own style of play.

It's not realistic, but if you embrace the idea that it's better for the game to have balance and not have very clear, uniform Best Players within any bracket, then you'll find this all a lot less frustrating.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
MVP

David Robinson is shooting like 65% from 3 for me...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »