Home

What purpose does a Conference Championship game serve?

This is a discussion on What purpose does a Conference Championship game serve? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23
What purpose does a Conference Championship game serve?

Ohio State had a great resume but they were rewarded by not getting to the conference title game.

Penn State beat Ohio State, won Ohio State's Dickson, and won Ohio State's Conference.

Ohio State gets in and Penn State doesn't. Shouldn't what happens on the field matter more than opinion?

There needs to be criteria for what you have to do to get in. As it is, logic and reasoning changes from team to team.

They really need to expand to 8 and have five automatic bids for power five conference teams. Then you can have threee at large bids. That way, every team "knows" what they need to do to get in and you can win your way in.

If my team, Oklahoma, had played Washington's OOC schedule, they would have been undefeated and #2. Given that variable, why even schedule anybody good OOC?

Penn State beats Ohio State and wins their league but it doesn't matter. Why even play the conference title game?
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What purpose does a Conference Championship game serve?

It looks good when a Coach goes to his AD to demand a raise, or coerce a raise by saying other schools want him.

Watch me play video games
Old 12-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

The purpose of the committee is to select the 4 best teams. Ohio State would likely beat Penn State 7 out of 10 times. I dont necessarily agree with how they choose but based on the fact they want the 4 best teams then I would pick Ohio State over Penn State. IMO the 4 best teams in college football right now are Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, and USC. I think they should go to 6 teams, take the conference champs from the power 5 conferences and 1 at large. I dont necessarily feel the best teams are always the most deserving. Penn State is the 3rd best team in the B1G but they are the most deserving based on winning the conference.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
It looks good when a Coach goes to his AD to demand a raise, or coerce a raise by saying other schools want him.
I would think getting in the playoff would look better.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
Old 12-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Thumbs up Re: What purpose does a Conference Championship game serve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
The purpose of the committee is to select the 4 best teams. Ohio State would likely beat Penn State 7 out of 10 times. I dont necessarily agree with how they choose but based on the fact they want the 4 best teams then I would pick Ohio State over Penn State. IMO the 4 best teams in college football right now are Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, and USC. I think they should go to 6 teams, take the conference champs from the power 5 conferences and 1 at large. I dont necessarily feel the best teams are always the most deserving. Penn State is the 3rd best team in the B1G but they are the most deserving based on winning the conference.
So do we go off what people "think" or what actually happens?

I think we should go off the results on the field.

I "think" Michigan is better than Ohio State. So does it make sense to put them in after they lost on the field?

I think USC is better than Washington and they beat Washington. Why aren't they in over Washington? It's been established that winning the conference doesn't matter.

If Ohio State can get in without winning their league why can't USC get in? The only difference is that USC beat Washington and Ohio state lost to Penn State.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys

Last edited by BigDofBA; 12-04-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
So do we go off what people "think" or what actually happens.

I think we should go off the results on the field.

I "think" Michigan is better than Ohio State. So does it make sense to put them in after they lost on the field?

I think USC is better than Washington and they beat Washington. Why aren't hey in over Washington? It's been established that winning the conference doesn't matter.
The committee is going off what they think. Thats the current setup. Like I said I dont necessarily agree with it. The purpose of the committee is to pick the 4 best teams. Your 4 best teams could be different from mine. I personally think Ohio State is better than Penn State so I would put them in because the setup is to pick the 4 best, not necessarily the 4 most deserving. I say go to 6 teams, and the conference champs get auto bids that way it makes it important to win the conference. Then 1 team that had a good year can get in at large. Im with you I'd rather reward the conference winner.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
So do we go off what people "think" or what actually happens?
Not sure who you mean by "we" but the committee goes off of what they think. And that's not a secret as outlined pretty clearly.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Not sure who you mean by "we" but the committee goes off of what they think. And that's not a secret as outlined pretty clearly.
In case you missed it, I was responding to the poster above me.

I know the committee goes off what they think. I'm questioning their reasoning, logic, and point of a Confernce Championship game.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »