Home

Quitting MTO - too frustrating experience

This is a discussion on Quitting MTO - too frustrating experience within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Quitting MTO - too frustrating experience

Guys most of you know that I have been very active in the game and the forums, but I will be quitting MTO at least for a very very long time.

No matter how much I like a basketball game imo the game serves me more frustration than fun. You may agree or disagree but here are my reasons

Reason a) (and my most important) in every game you struggle vs an unrealistic version of what 2k calls sim experience

people will either: 1) spam half court inbound pass and turbo to the basket

2) play deny to all your players and offball camping with a center under the basket (this was also the case in last year)

3) spam any other technique (5 out/ help and rotation/pnr and passes into the paint) that we may read in these threads, which in reality is trying to break game mechanics in some way

It doesn't matter if you can counter it or not. In some cases you do, in some cases you can't do it well enough.
The problem is that all in all the game doesn't feel natural. The flow is not of a basketball game

Reason b) And I know many of you will disagree. The game has become TOO pay to play. I am constantly facing full diamond teams, or teams with Rookie Jordan/Rookie Rice awards.

All these teams require almost millions of MT. Some players indeed get these teams from snipping in the AH, but there is no deny that some of them are buying MT. No matter what the reason of this is there is a huge rating gap between a team that a normal/****** player can assemble, with these full diamond squads.

And no, for me the game should not be about living in the AH, but playing the game. We are now at almost 25% of the game's life span. Majority of players have full diamond squad and yet the packs released have only rubies that go for 100K+ (like the deep shooters). Why would someone spend 100k for a card that could be irrelevant in 2 months from now?

Also awards for playing the game are harder to get this year. You only needed to get 8/12 wins in RTTP seed 2 to unlock rewards Mullin. Now you need 7 wins to just remain in the seed and 9 games unbeaten to get an award. How possible is that?

Again some times your skill can overcome the overall gap, but this can not be the case the whole time, especially since you need to have a 9-3 record just to advance to PD league. I can swear that I haven't face a single team with worse overall rating/ same number of diamonds/amethysts for more than 2 weeks.

Reason c) : 2k continues to disrespect customers. Badge slots not filling is a legacy issue. Wrong tendencies is a legacy issue. Control settings not saving is a legacy issue, terrible server lag is a legacy issue (especially when european server is based in USA). Black courts with black lanes, clashing kits are a legacy issue. 2k has done NOTHING to solve these while it should be a pretty easy fix

Reason d) : Well, myTeam is not MyTeam. You can't use the players you really want. I LOVE LBJ for example. I can't use him because he is trash in the game. Love KD.
His 86 overall cost 40-50K and he is really average compared to diamonds.
I love Lillard but even his Sapphire card is irrelevant if you have Francis.

Also, cards are released with a very very slow pace.
Actually we are waiting for 2-3 relevant cards every 2 weeks with the new Themes pack.
TBT packs are already irrelevant and I can't see any point waiting for them to drop

All of them (and especially point a) make the overall experience really frustrating for me. I will sell all the players that have any value and check back after X-mas

I am pretty sure that many other players have/will do already the same thing and 2k will start losing customers. When they realize they will release some crazy packs and crash the market but all this will not fix any of the point a.

Sorry for the rant, I have had enough

Last edited by kabamaru; 11-14-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Quitting MTO - too frustrating experience

whats your team rated?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldzy
whats your team rated?
I don't know how is this the only comment but the team link is in my signature
Old 11-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Pro

Bi00's Arena

What is there to say? You can't fix other human beings. Your main complaint is that other people don't play towards your expectations. The simple answer is that playing "sim" basketball is actually hard with a lot of difficult fast paced decision making. I would try to find some like-minded people to play friendlies with if you want a sim like game.

I think taking a break from the game is a good idea because it sounds like you're burned out. The game will always be available when you return.

So if you truly want to take a long break, sell off all your expensive players because your MT will be a lot more valuable when you return.

One thing to add, this year is far from perfect but I gotta give 2k credit for finally adding friend matchmaking and contract-free. Does anyone remember using those head-to-head challenges last year just to play a game with a friend's team? Atrocious.

Last edited by Bi00; 11-14-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
I don't know how is this the only comment but the team link is in my signature
try switching to a 13 man rotation, the extra stamina makes a big difference. It's just a hot rant man, I wouldn't expect too much feedback... but I hear ya, the reward structure is trash. Not many terrible players play myteam so every game you're gonna be in tough. You get like 5x the MT from 1W on Blacktop level 7+.

Until this game mode because less about making money and more about making a quality user experience it's never gonna be any good. If they can get it to a level where they have millions of people playing it then they will make a ton more money, I don't know why they try and grind us so hard instead of making an epic gaming experience. Look at any successful game in the history of gaming. It was made out of love it wasn't made with the intention of milking the customers last dime
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi00
What is there to say? You can't fix other human beings. Your main complaint is that other people don't play towards your expectations. The simple answer is that playing "sim" basketball is actually hard with a lot of difficult fast paced decision making. I would try to find some like-minded people to play friendlies with if you want a sim like game.

I think taking a break from the game is a good idea because it sounds like you're burned out. The game will always be available when you return.

So if you truly want to take a long break, sell off all your expensive players because your MT will be a lot more valuable when you return.

One thing to add, this year is far from perfect but I gotta give 2k credit for finally adding friend matchmaking and contract-free. Does anyone remember using those head-to-head challenges last year just to play a game with a friend's team? Atrocious.
Agree man ( I don't have many players to sell though) but I am completely aware that people will cheese to death to win in online modes.

But some types of cheesing like halfcourt inbound, etc are now becoming a legacy issue. However if I had only one problem (e.g with the gameplay cheese) I would probably show more understanding

People cheese in all online games.

However all the points above combined is too much for me. The quick pausing, the clashing kits, the expensive prices of competive cards, the increase of difficulty to get a reward card. I have played MyTeam the last couple of years. I have been very succesfull,always beating seed 1 multiple times undefeated.

Near the end of the game I empose self-restrictions to get the game more challenging, but I am completely sure that this year is worse than all previous years

It is myTeam. ALL actually good historical players (rated 90+ are missing). All great current players are nerfed too much. I just don't enjoy myself anymore

Last edited by kabamaru; 11-14-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Pro

roboas's Arena

I echo what the OP said. The most frustrating thing is that many of these issues are easily solvable - like VERY easily solvable. How hard is it to add a 3 second delay to when the team can inbound a ball so you don't have to manually sprint back with your center chasing a streaking Ben Wallace to the hoop on every possession? How hard is it to reduce the screen "stickniess" tendency so defenders can actually defend - these are the reasons why people HAVE to manually control their center 80% of the time. And its probably 1 line of code.

For me the biggest gripe is the equalizer / rubber banding. the game starts and a team goes on a 10-0 run. Time out is called. Game stays in a 10 pt lead +/- a few. Towards the end of the game it goes back to even. Last 2 minutes someone goes on an unstoppable run. This happens regardless of player skill or team OVR. Its the way the game is made. Happens in Blacktop too. If you remove player skill from influencing the outcome of the game, you'll quickly run out of players.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Pro

Well said.

I get so frustrated at the game some times because of your reasons a) and c). The way most people online, it doesn't matter if I counter them and win or not - it is just not fun to play people who constantly exploit every flaw in the game. You mentioned the legacy issues, that really bothers me too. I am having multiple games now my playbook doesn't load. In crucial times, when I am 5-0 and need 1 more win for a main prize, etc. I have many players with glitched badge slots. A lot of my frustrations with the game you summarized really well..

Thing is. I love basketball. I love video games. As mad as I get at the game sometimes, I still want to play it. I either take some time off and play something else and come back to 2k later, or I just play offline games for awhile.

Only thing you mentioned, the slow release of players, I don't mind so much. As badly as I want Hakeem on my team right now, I understand that in theory waiting till Christmas then spring etc to add great cards should increase game longevity. The only thing that really got ****ed up is how hard a couple cards got nerfed. I like the concept of lower ovr early and increase throughout the season. But guys like LBJ as you mentioned, just not playable.

Whatever you do, quit the game or just mto.. Hope to see you back on the forums.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »