Home

Blown Defensive Rotations: Sim or Broken logic?

This is a discussion on Blown Defensive Rotations: Sim or Broken logic? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Blown Defensive Rotations: Sim or Broken logic?

Since the NBA season started, I purposely focused on the defensive side of the ball as it compares to 2k.

Bad rotations and blown assignments happen all the time in the NBA. So did 2k intentionally include this to replicate real life bball? Low defensive IQ players are more susceptible to these mistakes.

Maybe 2k was trying to simulate this "realism"?

What are your thoughts? Perfect defense can't be played all game long.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C using Tapatalk
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Blown Defensive Rotations: Sim or Broken logic?

I think it probably makes a lot more sense to program in correct defense and logic from a base X+O standpoint and then program indiviual players/teams to react differently from that base.

I highly doubt the terrible defense in 2k was done on "purpose" ...it's probably just very very hard to get that base correctly...especially because not everyone who says they want sim...actually wants sim...and the game still needs to be fun.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't have a problem with "blown" rotations from time to time, as the defensive settings can fix most of those problems.

My problem is something very very basic. The defenders CONSTANTLY do not follow the most fundamental, principle rule of defense: Stay BETWEEN your man and the basket. This is allowing too many bailout offensive rebounds and cuts to the basket leading to easy lay-ups and dunks.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Of course the AI defense should occasionally blow assignments, or simulate getting confused from time to time, etc. But from what I've seen in videos these situations are not replicated correctly. If a defender is looking right at an open shooter and doesn't rotate, for example, that's not really what should happen. Or a defender shuffling their feet to close out to someone from half way across the court, rather than sprinting, etc. Weird stuff like that makes it seem like there are issues with the game.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Pro

Hmm, you may have a point OP. Didn't think about this one. It makes sense. Look at a player like James Harden for example, has no defensive prowess whatsoever.

Question is, does someone like Tony Allen or Kawhi Leonard make mistakes often in the game? Test this out

Notice on the Sliders how the attributes for Defensive Awareness is on the high end (65) instead of the norm 50 when facing the computer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

I don't want my players to get every steal, make the proper rotation every time and defend every pick and roll perfectly but the simple breakdowns that they have defensively is inexcusable. I'm talking stuff like this

The CPU can't even properly pick up its man in transition. It's literally backpedaling out of bounds, I mean come on now. And this is with my onball/offball settings set to Auto. I give up about 5-10+ points every game just off the strength of the AI being absolutely clueless about what they're supposed to do.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I don't want my players to get every steal, make the proper rotation every time and defend every pick and roll perfectly but the simple breakdowns that they have defensively is inexcusable. I'm talking stuff like this

The CPU can't even properly pick up its man in transition. It's literally backpedaling out of bounds, I mean come on now. And this is with my onball/offball settings set to Auto. I give up about 5-10+ points every game just off the strength of the AI being absolutely clueless about what they're supposed to do.
Exactly my point. The AI absolutely *needs* to have mistakes programmed in it. A 70 rated defender, for example, should occasionally get lost on a rotation, or improperly close-out, jump for a pump fake, or generally be in a bad defensive position, etc. etc. But they aren't simulating it correctly when the defenders just act incredibly stupid. I mean, it has to be programmed to relate to line of vision, too. There's simply no reason for a player who's looking RIGHT AT the offensive player to make the plays we're seeing in some of these videos. Same thing with doubling off of Steph Curry and leaving him wide open for a three, or transition D where Curry is going to the wing for a 3 and the defender runs in the paint and stands there for no reason, etc.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
MVP

2K has talked to 28 NBA teams and from that info they were able to get team specific defensive schemes, couple that with "dynamic decision points" you have a recipe for an awesome defense that just like in real life they blow coverages and rotation. This is next level stuff, only available to those with a keen eye to detail. If you have your ACE on, you must play your part in the defense or you will break the defense as the A.I. Teammates with try to compensate for your being out of position. This advance scouting has made for one of the most ambitious defensive projects in 2k history, so any breakdowns on defense is more than likely user error.

Last edited by Impetuous65; 11-07-2016 at 08:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »