Home

Dumb Team Naming Conventions

This is a discussion on Dumb Team Naming Conventions within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 14
Dumb Team Naming Conventions

Is anyone bothered by some of the team names used in the menus?

For example in the English Premier League, why are Tottenham simply known as "Spurs" in the game...I know that is their nickname but it doesn't seem right for an official team name for the menus. Imagine if Arsenal were named "Gunners" or Hull City were called the "Tigers" in the game

The worst however is in the French Ligue 1 where clubs like St Etienne and Nancy are just written as their abbreviations "ASSE" and "ASNL" respectively...just seems stupid. Purely a cosmetic issue of course but some common sense IMO or at least the ability for users to edit names would go a long way!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Rookie

EvertonianSteeler's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dumb Team Naming Conventions

Can't speak for the French League but in England Tottenham Hotspur have always been called Spurs far more than Tottenham. So with them it is more than a nickname it is more of an alternative name. Not sure why it started but it is just something that has been passed on it time.

Similarly Queens Park Rangers are always called "Queue Pea Are" never Queens Park or Rangers but West Bromwich Albion are never called "double u b a" just West Brom.

Nobody used the Leyton part of Leyton Orient for years but then it became popular again. No one ever refers to MK Dons as Milton Keynes Dons but no one ever calls Accrington Stanley just Accrington.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Pro

boxers's Arena

When it comes to spurs, at least, I hear far more brits and footy fans refer to tottenham as "spurs" rather than "tottenham". In fact, I recall one of my scouser friends actually correcting me when I initially referred to spurs as "tottenham".
Old 11-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

I appreciate the responses guys! I looked it up myself afterwards and it appears that the names Hotspur and Spurs were the original names! Still it seems the name "Tottenham Hotspur" is widely used as the 'professional' name now so I would rather see that name used in FIFA myself
Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Rookie

I agree. I also was bothered because of it. I have realized that team names are different according to each language version. For example, I play with Spanish version and Aston Villa always appeared as "A.Villa", but in other language versions appeared with its complete name. But since Fifa 16 English teams appear with their complete names in Spanish version. I am sure that Tottenham appears as "Tottenham Hotspur" in Fifa 16. You can check it.

I remember very well when I edited old Fifas pc version that to introduce long character strings in the database was problematic. It was not advised in forums by expert people because the game might crash. So, I think EA avoided to put long names for teams. But apparently this issue has been fixed in following years and EA has changed some names, but not all.

Last edited by LambBroadway; 11-17-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Ortographic errors
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Rookie

Names aren't the biggest problem FIFA17 has
Old 11-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
LS6
Just started!

The name "Spurs" is a Premier League thing. Check the PL's website. EA simply follows the PL licencing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »