Home

Two-Gap Schemes

This is a discussion on Two-Gap Schemes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Two-Gap Schemes

In studying the play art for some plays, I notice that two-gap assignments are in the game.

What I'm trying to figure out is if these are common and if you can build a scheme out of the two-gap philosophy.

I see a lot of one-gap in the play art, much more than two-gap, but I have yet to go through all the plays systematically.

Does anyone know if you can actually make a full scheme on this gap principle, and if so, how?

Also, does anyone know if the game provides any specific mechanics for entering and holding a gap, or for standing head-up on a block rather than shooting at an angle into a gap?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Two-Gap Schemes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
In studying the play art for some plays, I notice that two-gap assignments are in the game.

What I'm trying to figure out is if these are common and if you can build a scheme out of the two-gap philosophy.

I see a lot of one-gap in the play art, much more than two-gap, but I have yet to go through all the plays systematically.

Does anyone know if you can actually make a full scheme on this gap principle, and if so, how?

Also, does anyone know if the game provides any specific mechanics for entering and holding a gap, or for standing head-up on a block rather than shooting at an angle into a gap?
I think I have seen my dt plug the gap when being hook blocked automatically when I used power move against a run play. You know what I mean? He didn't necessarily get separation, he pushed the blocker into the gap.
Maybe it depends on your scheme. Irl attacking schemes "blitz" the gaps while base schemes hold them.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnyder5282
I think I have seen my dt plug the gap when being hook blocked automatically when I used power move against a run play. You know what I mean? He didn't necessarily get separation, he pushed the blocker into the gap.
Maybe it depends on your scheme. Irl attacking schemes "blitz" the gaps while base schemes hold them.

Thanks for the tip re: player control.

And re: strategy, I understand the difference between a 1- and 2-gap scheme defensively. My question is whether Madden has enough plays with 2-gap play art to actually build a defensive scheme around.

If I want to build a 1-gap 34, that's easy because most of the play art has 1-gap assignments for the DL.

But if I want a big-bodied 2-gap scheme, I'm not sure I can do that, hence the query, due to the playbooks. I'm also not sure if the DL are actually programmed and animated in such a way that a 2-gap scheme would render properly.

If someone has figured this out and can explain how to create the scheme, that'd be fantastic, esp. w/ reference to specific play calls that have functional 2-gap assignments.

If this is not yet possible, I'd love for future Maddens to include control schemes, animations, and play art to support true 1-gap and 2-gap schemes.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Thanks for the tip re: player control.

And re: strategy, I understand the difference between a 1- and 2-gap scheme defensively. My question is whether Madden has enough plays with 2-gap play art to actually build a defensive scheme around.

If I want to build a 1-gap 34, that's easy because most of the play art has 1-gap assignments for the DL.

But if I want a big-bodied 2-gap scheme, I'm not sure I can do that, hence the query, due to the playbooks. I'm also not sure if the DL are actually programmed and animated in such a way that a 2-gap scheme would render properly.

If someone has figured this out and can explain how to create the scheme, that'd be fantastic, esp. w/ reference to specific play calls that have functional 2-gap assignments.

If this is not yet possible, I'd love for future Maddens to include control schemes, animations, and play art to support true 1-gap and 2-gap schemes.
I haven't seen many, but I have seen assignment change when I shift my dt shading on occasion.
I haven't been able to is the 34 effectively this year at all.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Rookie

I can't answer OPs question fully but they did add finally add this into the game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if its a bit limited since this is the first edition of Madden where a defender can tie up 2 blockers physically.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear The Clown
I can't answer OPs question fully but they did add finally add this into the game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if its a bit limited since this is the first edition of Madden where a defender can tie up 2 blockers physically.
Maybe next year we get user gap adjustments on the fly. Maybe getting closer to bringing back full play editing.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnyder5282
Maybe next year we get user gap adjustments on the fly. Maybe getting closer to bringing back full play editing.

This feature was the reason I bought this version. My favorite addition to play mechanics in years. It truly is the little things that make big differences.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »