Home

On Ball Defense Suffering after Patch.

This is a discussion on On Ball Defense Suffering after Patch. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
On Ball Defense Suffering after Patch.

My experience with the game after patch has been frustrating do to lack of defensive tools. The L2/LT defensive stance and RT/R2 slide mechanic are broken. Occasionally if you have great position and and press LT you will body up and it will work properly as it did before the patch. HOWEVER, if you are in your defensive stance out in space your player seems to get stuck in these invisible force fields and it is very difficult to control the direction of your player. Offline ballers won't notice this as much as the cpu tends to play slow and walk at you, but if you play online with people loving to turbo everywhere you many times can get stuck not being able to cut off defenders and give up wide open lanes.

Next per the same problem, many times even with great initial position applying the trigger pressure defense will still allow your opponent to just slide on by even though you have done everything technically right. This problem is compounded by the lack of ball physicality and offensive players are allowed to recklessly dribble into traffic, your chest, or completely through you while maintaining control. Even when trying to steal while the ball is completely exposed will not jostle the ball free unless predetermined by a triggered animation. The only threat of losing the ball is doing a cross, behind the back, or spin at the wrong time running into someone.

The last crippling issue is the inability for defenders to get around anybody (either team) on the court even if they are not setting screens. Many times someone just runs into you, even your own teammate and just pushes you far away from the contest. Also after the patch the LT trigger and screen animations are playing out longer and you get stuck in these animations too long making it extremely hard to recover. When you do sprint back and then try to come to a stop it is like trying to control a semi on a slalom course.

These problems are leading to an even more increased player tendency to turbo everywhere as it is being rewarded and a high likelihood that play now online players will be strictly playing offball which is less fun for most players to play against.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Rookie

mongo13clikke's Arena

Re: On Ball Defense Suffering after Patch.

If you wanna play hardcore sim Id say wait until at least the next patch. They are still ironing out gameplay unrelated bugs/glitches etc. Hopefully the next patch fixes some gameplay issues already, defense especially. If you wanna have fun and can look past the current issues the game has go for it. Im playing MyCareer and MyTeam only currently where I dont need 100% sim and it plays fine for what it is.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Banned

In your head. It's still very possible. It's less forgiving if you don't give space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 AM   #4
Pro

Pretty sure that has been some tuning adjustments since I wrote this or at least since my first experiences with the patch. Playing this evening I have noticed a significant change in the ability to body up my defender and am back to playing good defense. I always play with proper space and angles so it was not just me being out of position. Still getting hung up on random players and running in space while being pushed around though it didn't feel as significant as before. Maybe because I was better able to control the player once breaking free. Do feel like I had better control over my player and can make fine adjustments to move around players more accurately.

There was also a real problem with great finishers not being able to finish layups with minimum contact but my experience today is that it is no longer an issue. This leads me to believe that maybe there were some initial tuners that needed to be implemented for the game to play properly as my first reaction was within a couple hours of the download.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7

If there was an adjustment made to on-ball defense then the same tools are applied across the board. The same way you are being beaten is the same way you can also beat the opposing player. I personally haven't seen any noticeable difference, but something tells me this is placebo ...OR a case of needing to change your defensive habits to suit what you're now seeing

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OP , can we see some video examples of this broken defense?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Banned

Definitely placebo. I throught the same thing, but.then I realized I was lagging more. Plus ive seen guys online do fine against me and I did the same... So yeah.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
My experience with the game after patch has been frustrating do to lack of defensive tools. The L2/LT defensive stance and RT/R2 slide mechanic are broken. Occasionally if you have great position and and press LT you will body up and it will work properly as it did before the patch. HOWEVER, if you are in your defensive stance out in space your player seems to get stuck in these invisible force fields and it is very difficult to control the direction of your player. Offline ballers won't notice this as much as the cpu tends to play slow and walk at you, but if you play online with people loving to turbo everywhere you many times can get stuck not being able to cut off defenders and give up wide open lanes.

Next per the same problem, many times even with great initial position applying the trigger pressure defense will still allow your opponent to just slide on by even though you have done everything technically right. This problem is compounded by the lack of ball physicality and offensive players are allowed to recklessly dribble into traffic, your chest, or completely through you while maintaining control. Even when trying to steal while the ball is completely exposed will not jostle the ball free unless predetermined by a triggered animation. The only threat of losing the ball is doing a cross, behind the back, or spin at the wrong time running into someone.

The last crippling issue is the inability for defenders to get around anybody (either team) on the court even if they are not setting screens. Many times someone just runs into you, even your own teammate and just pushes you far away from the contest. Also after the patch the LT trigger and screen animations are playing out longer and you get stuck in these animations too long making it extremely hard to recover. When you do sprint back and then try to come to a stop it is like trying to control a semi on a slalom course.

These problems are leading to an even more increased player tendency to turbo everywhere as it is being rewarded and a high likelihood that play now online players will be strictly playing offball which is less fun for most players to play against.

I agree, something is wrong with My Park defense. To me it feels completely broken in comparison to 2k16. I just can't put a finger on and I have tried to adjust Boxout strength, defensive strength, and automatic shot contest settings to figure out if it makes a difference. The Pro Am play actually plays great and is very smooth in comparison to the park. I also noticed in the park that on the standard 2k camera there is a blind spot when defending the perimeter at the 3 point line if the opposing player is moving around behind the camera, you have no idea where they are at. It's very easy to get lost and get burned by a spot up 3..

Please fix the defense and camera angle in the park!!!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »