Home

Advanced rotations tutorial??

This is a discussion on Advanced rotations tutorial?? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Rookie

JohnnyCash2015's Arena

OVR: 0
Advanced rotations tutorial??

Is there a tutorial somewhere for advanced rotations? This might be the most unfriendly user interface ive used on an console in years. I just don't get how the thing works. Players get listed at multiple positions,some bug pops up if you press the triangle button to select a different player about having 5 players on the court or something.

Any help with this? My goodness. I can't wait to see this thing get redesigned in the future. What were they thinking when they put this feature in the game looking like this? Surely this wasn't the best way to show off this feature. At least I hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: Advanced rotations tutorial??

It's really easy. Do a search, someone had a very helpful thread on it a few days ago. It's not as complicated as it looks once you get used to it.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
bnb
Rookie

OVR: 4

i agree that it's difficult to wrap your mind around, but easy once you get it set up.

mirror your starting 5 and your bench on the main rotation screen to make it easier. once you're in the advanced screen, clear everything and start over, filling one position at a time. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULTIPLE LABELS! they're based on the primary and secondary positions for each player and "extra" labels will go away when you're all done.

begin with the starting pg, fill his minutes in, then move to whomever you wish to back him up, being careful to start the backups court time directly AFTER the end of the starters minutes. move to a third player for that position, if you wish. do the same for sg, sf, etc. when you finally get to the last player, all of the "extra" labels will disappear, provided you've attributed enough minutes to each player and you don't have too many players on the court at once.

this should get you started and i'd be happy to help further if needed.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Rookie

JohnnyCash2015's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb
i agree that it's difficult to wrap your mind around, but easy once you get it set up.

mirror your starting 5 and your bench on the main rotation screen to make it easier. once you're in the advanced screen, clear everything and start over, filling one position at a time. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULTIPLE LABELS! they're based on the primary and secondary positions for each player and "extra" labels will go away when you're all done.

begin with the starting pg, fill his minutes in, then move to whomever you wish to back him up, being careful to start the backups court time directly AFTER the end of the starters minutes. move to a third player for that position, if you wish. do the same for sg, sf, etc. when you finally get to the last player, all of the "extra" labels will disappear, provided you've attributed enough minutes to each player and you don't have too many players on the court at once.

this should get you started and i'd be happy to help further if needed.

I'll give this a try, thanks! I'll let u know if I still need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

noob question, where is the advanced rotations menu
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
noob question, where is the advanced rotations menu
When doing rotations there should be a option to select advance rotation. You might have to hide the ticker because it might be covering the option.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Here, I posted this in the other thread, hope it helps a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
This is how I do it:
-On the normal rotations screen, don't worry about minutes, just pick your five starters and active bench. Now what I suggest is put the first 5 bench players in order of PG, SG, SF, PF, C, mirroring the order of the starters.

-Now go to the timeline. Press L3 and clear all data. Start from scratch assigning minutes.

-Address your starters first. Assign their minutes and when you want them taking their breaks.

-Any holes in the PG line, fill it with the backup PG. Repeat this for all 5 positions, even if it leads to certain bench players having more minutes than you want them to.

-Now just taketh and giveth amongst your bench guys. Work stretch by stretch. Say your backup center was assigned 24 minutes (cause your starter was only assigned 24) but he sucks and you want him playing less. You also have a backup PF who plays the 5. Cut 6 min away and give those 6 to the PF. That's what I mean by working stretch by stretch. When you take something from someone, assign it to someone else before moving on. It's easier to stay organized that way. Don't worry about positions being correct yet other than just making sure you have the right combos playing together according to your preference.

-Once you are satisfied with pairings and minutes, check positions. You pretty much go through minute by minute. Once you see something off (like the PF and C should be flipped) highlight the minute, press triangle, select the PF then C, then triangle again. Keep in mind it'll only cover the stretch until the next sub. So if you have subs every minute, you might have to repeat that process 4 times in a 5 minute stretch if that PF and C are on the floor together.

Try not to get frustrated guys, I'll admit even I was a little overwhelmed for a minute and I've wanted this feature for years and am a coach IRL. You'll get used to it and develop a rythym.

I hope they can add this feature to other modes. What I love about this is 2k is saying, we can't figure out how to correct the issue with the substitution logic that forces starters to basically play the whole 4th, so here adjust it yourself. Which is great! And you can see in the default times all the issues we've complained about for years: essentially a 5 for 5 sub in the 1st, and the 4th quarter problem I just described.

Another really cool aspect is you aren't limited by secondary positions. If you wanna play 4 PG's together, have at it!

My only issue so far is this, the AI will not deviate from your timeline no matter what. Doesn't matter if your center picks up 5 fouls in the 1st or if youre winning by 55 in the 4th. Same goes for simmed games. This is a big problem for 30 team MyLeagues.

Other than that, this is my favorite new feature in 2k.
One thing to kind of correct myself on, I don't think it ignores secondary postions as much as I originally thought. When I first said that, it was after I played a game as Dallas and was able to use their 3 PG lineup for multiple stretches.

However, today I played a game with Philly and made some lineups in the Timeline where I went with Henderson, Covington, Grant, Simmons and Okafor. Simmons was essentially my PG but I had Henderson listed as the PG for matchup purposes. However during the game, only McConnell and Bayless got minutes at the 1. This is the only time I've seen the AI deviate from the Timeline at all.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh
Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #8
Rookie

Guys to me the issue on advanced rotations is to manage rotations in games lower than 12' of lenght.

If you set up rotations as in real life, then for example sub your pg at 7' in 1Q, but you play 6' each quarter, AI won't change your lineup in proportion of played minutes.

Then I tried to reflect my timing in the table subbing players after 3/4 mins and it worked; however the issue then is when the system calculates next sub time, in fact I played with Yi Jianlian even if he was supposed to stay bench on 4thQ...

The good of advanced rotations should be mix your 5 and dedicate some times to experimental lineups such as GSW and avoiding annoying platoon swaps.

Is anybody able to handle it properly??

I feel I will go to manual subs..

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »