Home

Switching from console games to tabletop games?

This is a discussion on Switching from console games to tabletop games? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Switching from console games to tabletop games?

I consider myself a sim gamer and a HUGE baseball fan. I've been looking and reading recently about tabletop games (specifically Strat-O-Matic) and may take the plunge into finally trying it out.

Anyone have any opinions or advice on playing it?

My biggest concerns are statistical accuracy but still allowing for the impossible to happen.

If you have the game or have played it, I'd love to hear your opinions of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Switching from console games to tabletop games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliDegu2008
I consider myself a sim gamer and a HUGE baseball fan. I've been looking and reading recently about tabletop games (specifically Strat-O-Matic) and may take the plunge into finally trying it out.

Anyone have any opinions or advice on playing it?

My biggest concerns are statistical accuracy but still allowing for the impossible to happen.

If you have the game or have played it, I'd love to hear your opinions of it.
Before you take the plunge do some research. Go to the Delphi Forums and click hunt up the games forum. Obviously Strat is a long time performer as is Apba , but there are a ton of board games along with pc versions of the board games ,, Strat , Apba . Replay , Diamond Mind , etc. And then the table Top games my goodness there are plenty ,,, I have an old Strat game , Pursue the Pennant , a fairly new game Payoff Pitch, and just purchased an old game via ebay in Statis Pro. Lots of options and it really is what your looking for , quick playing , not a lot of look up chart wise ,, Strat and Apba probably your best bet, more involved ,, well there are just a plethora a games. One game that does have my eye is a remake of Sherco Grand Slam , https://sites.google.com/site/shercobaseball/ ,, game plays out on a grid representing each ballpark. Might take some time to play but it all depends on whay your looking for. And unlike "The Show " which is your only option console wise , you have plenty of options ,, at last check I think I counted at least 20 board game versions and maybe 6 or 7 of them having computer versions of them , with the bulk of them providing free demos you can download and take for a free ride. And keep in mind most if not all of these are single season replays.
I still play the "Show" as it is the best console baseball game ever , but my 61 year old fingers are slowing down , and sometimes just managing a game is plenty. Rolling the bones still has a place for us older guys that grew up on these very games your interested in.
Glad you posted this my friend and keep this thread alive and let us know which direction you headed.
Personally I wish OP would dedicate and leave open a thread devoted to board and computer sims like we are talking about. Happy Hunting >>> Greg
Old 10-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I played APBA and Strat board games when I was a kid. Quite cool at the time. You might want to look at the electronic versions or check out OOTP.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

I've not played much in the way of tabletop baseball, but I think it would me MORE likely to allow for the impossible because it has no need to concern itself of "balance" and "allowing user skill to show" and other "video gamey" things.

It can focus solely on the event probabilities - and as we know about probability, anything really can happen if that's just the way the dice/cards fall.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
Rookie

Spirits Translation's Arena

OVR: 3

Your biggest wish is "statistical accuracy" so here's a quote you might be interested in from Jim Barnes - the creator of Sports Illustrated's Statis Pro Baseball.

Quote:
My guidelines for any game are simple. First, it has to be fun, and second, not too complicated. Every other factor is third — including pin point accuracy. APBA and SOM (basic) certainly fit this description.
Back in the board-gaming days you didn't want to play a game that was too slow, so accuracy had to be sacrificed. That said you might like Replay Baseball which was created by a couple avid APBA fanatics that were looking to improve the system; and over the years they kept adding improvements. A PC version is also available...

http://www.replaybb.com/PCBBPages/PCBBProducts.htm

Going back to Jim Barnes he got burned out of creating games and ended up setting the Vegas betting lines for many years. His favorite game was 'Big League Manager' and said APBA was based on the game 'National Pastime' from the 1930's. Barnes also made Statis Pro Football but the corporate designers made changes and messed up the game so bad that he didn't even understand the final version. He is proudest of his NBA game though.

PawaTranslation.com

SpiritsTranslation.com

Last edited by Spirits Translation; 10-04-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
MVP

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts!

I ordered Strat-o-matic (2003 edition) and will work thru a season replay.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirits Translation
Your biggest wish is "statistical accuracy" so here's a quote you might be interested in from Jim Barnes - the creator of Sports Illustrated's Statis Pro Baseball.

http://www.replaybb.com/PCBBPages/PCBBProducts.htm
This looks awesome.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
This looks awesome.
Replay pc game is awesome , I have the 2014 and 2015 ,and 1964 seasons and just love the game. A lot of functionality in these games. Play out a season pretty much any way you like , make a 30 team tournament (or any size tournament for that matter). etc. Variety of background ballparks , or upload your own.
I assume Strat the board game. Marlins took out the Yanks if I'm not mistaken. Should be fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »