Home

Brand new to Soccer, Please advise.

This is a discussion on Brand new to Soccer, Please advise. within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Brand new to Soccer, Please advise.

I have never played or followed Soccer, but watching my grandchildren play, it has created an interest. I only play sports games on my ps4 and NEVER online. I am not a thumb jockey, so being able to watch CPU vs. CPU, manage mode, or coach mode is crucial to me. This is how I play Madden. I like to create players, build a team, and watch it play out in front of me. Yet I don’t want to deal with finances, hotdog sales or issues like that. My fingers and thumbs at my age do not work well. I see there are 2 games available, FIFA, and PES. Not knowing anything about either game, my questions are for either game.

Can you Create players from scratch or even edit players. ?
Can you watch CPU vs. CPU, just manage or coach your games. ?
Can you play franchise mode and choose your leagues. ?
Would I be able to draft my created players into a real league or could I play them in a lower league like MLB with the minors.

If these options are not available, then I really wouldn’t want to spend the money for a game I can’t enjoy. Thanks for any help in advance. I have posted this in both sections. PES and FIFA..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Brand new to Soccer, Please advise.

You can create players. Edit options are limited, especially inside career mode.

You can watch CPU v CPU matches.

Every league in the game is available when you start a career mode. You select the team and the corresponding league and can switch throughout your career when positions become available.

There's no draft in FIFA, although the MLS does have a draft it's not in the game. Players are signed to teams in something more akin to free agency in other sports. Because of how the free agent pool works when you start career mode, you'd have to sign the players to the team BEFORE starting the mode or they'd be automatically assigned to a team. Also, there are lower leagues, but it's not like the minors in baseball. There's promotion and relegation in soccer. For example, the English Premier League is at the top of the pyramid, beneath it are the Championship, League 1 and League 2. Finishing in the bottom three of the league gets you dropped to the league below. Finishing in the promotion places, you go up. The skill of the teams are worse as you go down the pyramid, so you could play your created players in, say, League 2 which is a "lower league" and they'd be bought by teams up the pyramid if they are good enough.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCaesar
You can watch CPU v CPU matches.
But is this still only limited to "Play Now" exhibition friendly games? or has FIFA 17 finally allowed CPU vs CPU games to be played in Career or Tournament modes. I have the FIFA 16 PC game and was able to download a mod which does allow me to play CPU vs CPU Tournament games (I also assume the mod allows the same in Career games, though I have yet to actually try this). But this was a PC mod. I am assuming the console gamers cannot apply the same mod.

So does FIFA 17 allow CPU vs CPU games to be played in Career or Tournament modes?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

You can do CPU vs CPU in career.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie

Post Re: Brand new to Soccer, Please advise.

From what you've described the game you want isn't PES or FIFA it's football manager. It has been the football simulation game to go to for the last twenty years. Completely immersive you don't play any games but manage s team through transfers and tactics. Realistic leagues down to the eighth tier of English football and definitely a couple of divisions in America. What it lacks in graphics is makes up for in accuracy so much so that its database is used by many professional teams to initially evaluate players. Only issue is that it's on a pc. If you want to find out more about soccer that's the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
I have never played or followed Soccer, but watching my grandchildren play, it has created an interest. I only play sports games on my ps4 and NEVER online. I am not a thumb jockey, so being able to watch CPU vs. CPU, manage mode, or coach mode is crucial to me. This is how I play Madden. I like to create players, build a team, and watch it play out in front of me. Yet I don’t want to deal with finances, hotdog sales or issues like that. My fingers and thumbs at my age do not work well. I see there are 2 games available, FIFA, and PES. Not knowing anything about either game, my questions are for either game.

Can you Create players from scratch or even edit players. ?
Can you watch CPU vs. CPU, just manage or coach your games. ?
Can you play franchise mode and choose your leagues. ?
Would I be able to draft my created players into a real league or could I play them in a lower league like MLB with the minors.

If these options are not available, then I really wouldn’t want to spend the money for a game I can’t enjoy. Thanks for any help in advance. I have posted this in both sections. PES and FIFA..
This is an interesting story.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:05 AM   #7
Pro

I am 65. Played Baseball, Football, and Golf my whole life but never really had an interest in Soccer until I stated watching my grand children play. Never owned a Computer until 1992, First thing I did was buy every BB, FB, and golf game I could get my hands on, I don't think there is any that exist that we didn't try. Started our first official league with Sierra FB. I loved that game. Was the very first member on the Sierra FB Forum. I bought my first PS3 for one reason and one reason only. MLB the Show. Best sports game available in my opinion. Just an amazing game with so many options. I Bought my first ps4 two years ago. Been in a home OFFLINE league since 92 with 5 of my friends graduating from PC to PS4. We usually try to stay in a franchise for as long as possible. We had 8 seasons in Madden 12 because it was the only version that let us play CPU vs. CPU. We are finishing our last season in 16 because we could play coach mode, but anxious for 17 because of the POTM or CPU vs. CPU ability. We are all about the same age and have played every version of Madden, MLB the show, Tiger Woods, but now the Golf Club. To this day, we all get together at my home on Sundays and play our games. Madden during FB season, The Show during BB season and Golf when we can. We started with 8 of us, but lost one, and two moved away. But the original five of us are lifetime high school friends, one cousin, and all live within 5 miles of each other. So these stupid little video games mean far more to me than anyone could ever imagine. It keeps me in touch with my friends and family. We are like a big Sunday family. It is awesome. I don't think the guys will be interested in Soccer so this one is just for me.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
I don't think the guys will be interested in Soccer so this one is just for me.
You never know. They may actually appreciate the sport for what it is. I have a hard time watching basketball because on the surface it just appears to be the same thing for the entire game. Some guy runs down the court passes the ball to some other guy who sinks the bucket. Now repeat 50 times for each team. But that is the simplistic view of the game. When you are into the game, into the result. The sinking of each bucket can be monumental. I mean if someone goes down 2 points that's bad. If they go down 4 points, not good. 6 points that's a disaster. 8 Points? OMG what's going on here. Oh good now they're only down by 6 points. Sweet now it's 4 points. Dang back to 6 points, etc, etc, etc.

Soccer doesn't have the same mood swings and for some people, it's too slow of a game. For others, they realize what the game is and that the game can slowly build and percolate and sometimes just explode. So you never know. Try it. Show it to them. Try to get them to watch a game with open minds. If I can do it for basketball, perhaps your buddies can do it for soccer.

Recently I uploaded this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCMJk_xFoY because I wanted to spur more debate about how the CPU plays against each other to show the FIFA series is not as arcady as some claim that it is. Is the game perfect? Heck no, it's not. But it's not bad and if people are patient enough to spend the hour to watch the entire game, they will witness a pretty competitive match that at least as far as I am concerned is not arcady.

In summary, yes you can play CPU vs CPU games in the FIFA series. But in the FIFA 16 series they needed to be "Play Now" friendly exhibition games which I still don't understand why EA did this. Fortunately for me, I was able to apply a mod to my FIFA 16 PC game which allows me to play CPU vs CPU in tournament mode. Now someone here has said that FIFA 17 allows CPU vs CPU games in the career mode without the mod, so I am hoping this also means that EA will allow it in tournament games. Time will tell. I like the FIFA series even though it does have warts and you can also sleep easy knowing that PES also supports CPU vs CPU games. But if I am not mistaken, it's not as easy as putting the controller in the middle when you are selecting sides. There is some sort of back door mode that you need to enter to get it to work. At least this was how PES 10 worked (the last time I own a Konami soccer game). Why these soccer gaming titles make CPU vs CPU games so difficult to access is a mystery. I also play "MLB The Show" (I am a MoM player) and starting a CPU vs CPU game in The Show is easy.

Last edited by My993C2; 09-24-2016 at 01:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »