Home

Domination - Roadblocks (Teams to look out for and how to beat them))

This is a discussion on Domination - Roadblocks (Teams to look out for and how to beat them)) within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Rookie

didak7's Arena

OVR: 0
Domination - Roadblocks (Teams to look out for and how to beat them))

Probably a thread for the lesser experienced My Teamers on here like myself. So thus far I've suffered 2 losses in my Domination Campaign.

Somehow managed to lose to the Hornets early on (Probably in part due to my horrible team) but nevertheless they were a roadblock for me. Ended up beating them by 14 the very next game.

Then everything seemed to be swell from there on until last night... Gordon Hayward and his stupid Jazz knocked me off in OT after Marcin Gortat missed 2 FT's with 10 seconds left in OT that would have given me a 1 point lead had he hit them both!

Can anyone recommend a good 3 that can stop Hayward's offense? I shut him down I win.

My two guys I had rotating through there last night were:
Rudy Gay (Gold) and Kidd Gilchrist (Gold)

Feel free to post your Domination Roadblocks here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Domination - Roadblocks (Teams to look out for and how to beat them))

So far so good. I read everywhere that Utah is a problem for a lot of players. I also had a problem with them, they started the game on a 10-0 run, and stayed hot for the next 3 minutes. I finally called a timeout, made some subs, played tight defense on Hayward and i managed to cool them down. Got 3 stars by a 4 MT margin
Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
MVP

Even experienced players can have problems with Domination each year. I've played way too much 2K15 and 2K16 and I think I lost to the Jazz twice before I beat them. Though, when I did, I beat them quite easily, 60-48. And with a pretty modest lineup. And, frankly, I didn't even play well:

http://2kmtcentral.com/17/lineups/46...nation-vs-jazz

For Domination, difficulty level is not high and, except for the All-Star teams, the competition is not very good. So it's really about execution, gameplay skill, and discipline.

My SF's were Brandon Ingram and Evan Turner, both of whom being merely adequate defenders, at best.

Rudy Gay is not much of a defender, himself, only about on par with these two Silvers. But MKG is a legit on-ball stopper.

I think the issue is that Hayward isn't hard to contain, when it comes to on-ball 1-on-1 defense. He's not fast, he's definitely not explosive, doesn't really have handles, and doesn't have very good ability to finish driving dunks and layups if contested. MKG can easily shut him down in that scenario.

The issue you had, and which I often have, is the CPU running plays with off-ball screens that leave wing shooters WIDE open. And unless the defender has elite Def IQ, he is going to get caught up in off-ball screens. Even if he is elite.

What you can try to do is to increase pressure on Hayward with Deny Off-Ball defense. But the defender can still get stifled by screens. So what you really need to do is to watch the court and pay attention to Hayward's teammates as they make moves to lay down screens for him. As you see a guy going over to Hayward, off-ball, be prepared to switch to Hayward's defender to get around the screen and be in position to contest a shot if Hayward receives a pass. Or deny the pass altogether.

These catch-and-shoot sort of guys can be easily contained if you pay attention like this. It's the really explosive guys with crazy handles, like D-Rose with the Knicks, who can't really be contained one-on-one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160918015931_1.jpg (298.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 20160918020126_1.jpg (278.3 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 20160918020145_1.jpg (240.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg 20160918020151_1.jpg (250.1 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by harryl; 09-20-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Rookie

didak7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryl
Even experienced players can have problems with Domination each year. I've played way too much 2K15 and 2K16 and I think I lost to the Jazz twice before I beat them. Though, when I did, I beat them quite easily, 60-48. And with a pretty modest lineup. And, frankly, I didn't even play well:

http://2kmtcentral.com/17/lineups/46...nation-vs-jazz

For Domination, difficulty level is not high and, except for the All-Star teams, the competition is not very good. So it's really about execution, gameplay skill, and discipline.

My SF's were Brandon Ingram and Evan Turner, both of whom being merely adequate defenders, at best.

Rudy Gay is not much of a defender, himself, only about on par with these two Silvers. But MKG is a legit on-ball stopper.

I think the issue is that Hayward isn't hard to contain, when it comes to on-ball 1-on-1 defense. He's not fast, he's definitely not explosive, doesn't really have handles, and doesn't have very good ability to finish driving dunks and layups if contested. MKG can easily shut him down in that scenario.

The issue you had, and which I often have, is the CPU running plays with off-ball screens that leave wing shooters WIDE open. And unless the defender has elite Def IQ, he is going to get caught up in off-ball screens. Even if he is elite.

What you can try to do is to increase pressure on Hayward with Deny Off-Ball defense. But the defender can still get stifled by screens. So what you really need to do is to watch the court and pay attention to Hayward's teammates as they make moves to lay down screens for him. As you see a guy going over to Hayward, off-ball, be prepared to switch to Hayward's defender to get around the screen and be in position to contest a shot if Hayward receives a pass. Or deny the pass altogether.

These catch-and-shoot sort of guys can be easily contained if you pay attention like this. It's the really explosive guys with crazy handles, like D-Rose with the Knicks, who can't really be contained one-on-one.
Thanks very much for the info. Yeah my first thought after the game was why did I change my line-up in the first place??? Had I left MKG and Marv Williams in my starting line-up I probs would have won. That's the beauty of My Team I suppose you get better rated players so you assume they will get the job done. I'm looking at you Dirk and Rudy Gay .

Haha all good.

P.S - How did you get a screen shot of your game with the Jazz? Is there somewhere we can find this? Or do you always keep your boxscores?

Cheers.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
MVP

I think I lost to the Nuggets once before I beat them. Nets I think I beat easily. Jazz, I think I lost to once before beating them. Suns, I lost to once. Magic and Bucks were no problem. Rockets I expected might be an issue because of Harden, but I steamrolled them.

The Grizzlies gave me fits for one game. Totally crushed me. They made me upgrade my team from one or two Gold to three Golds, adding Brook Lopez (Kemba Walker and Tyreke Evans being my other two golds). And also buying Marvin Williams to start as my 4, because Patrick Patterson and Dragan Bender had not been consistent enough for me when giving them ample wide-open corner three shots:

http://2kmtcentral.com/17/lineups/47...n-vs-grizzlies

I also practiced for a while in Scrimmage, to work on fundamentals for the first time in the 2K17 cycle. That may have been bigger than the lineup upgrades because I didn't score/shoot much with Lopez or Williams. I didn't play especially well, but was pretty solid.

I really think that, for the most part, it's just about refining skills and habits.

After the Grizzlies, I was really worried about the Thunder but blew them out of the water. Stupid Russ was doing stupid Russ things.

The Heat and the Knicks were tough. The Heat took me to two overtimes and Chris Bosh was unloading on me from all over the court. Knocking down any open outside look and converting toughly contested inside shots as well.

Knicks were not a big issue, but it was a close game all the way through and came down to a nailbiter final possession. The last couple minutes of the 4th quarter was actually pretty fun because it was back and forth the whole time and, in the last minute or so, was a timeout-fest with platooning in and out of Offensive and Defensive situational lineups. The CPU ISO'd Carmelo outside the arc with 10 seconds to go and he jetted to the arc for the game winning shot but I was able to get a moderate contest with Jerami Grant and it clanked.

D-Rose is an animal with his handles, explosives, and craftiness in the paint. Carmelo will do his jab step routine and stab you in the heart with fadeaways he'll nail despite solid contests. RoLo is actually quite active and effective at grabbing boards and tapping in putbacks due to all the chaos that D-Rose and Carmelo create. Porzingis wasn't as big a factor as one might think but will have a few possessions where he'll be unstoppable.

http://2kmtcentral.com/17/lineups/44...tion-vs-knicks

Big factor for me was that I had gotten and put in Rewards Robert Horry and Big Shot Bob saved my *** multiple times in the fourth quarter. In one sequence, he came off the weak side and got a key last-second block on D-Rose at the rim to prevent the Knicks from going up by 4 with, like, 20 seconds left. And then sprinted down to the opposite corner where I found him and from which he drained a three-pointer to put me up by 1.

And then Jerami Grant doing enough to prevent Carmelo from winning the game.

Kind of silly to have such a hard time with Domination, but I'm having fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by didak7
Thanks very much for the info. Yeah my first thought after the game was why did I change my line-up in the first place??? Had I left MKG and Marv Williams in my starting line-up I probs would have won. That's the beauty of My Team I suppose you get better rated players so you assume they will get the job done. I'm looking at you Dirk and Rudy Gay
Well...Dirk and Gay are good offensive players but defensive holes. Gay is just subpar as a defender in general and Dirk is almost immobile at this point. I imagine that Gay would get caught up in screens constantly and that Dirk would get eaten up by Favors in the post.

MKG is tough to play because he can't shoot from outside at all, and can only shoot even midrange if left totally open. Will throw it down if he has an open lane but also not particularly good at finishing. Just is a stopper who maybe can get to the rim in transition.

But you really don't need an offensive weapon at all positions, or even necessarily at more than 3.

Quote:
P.S - How did you get a screen shot of your game with the Jazz? Is there somewhere we can find this? Or do you always keep your boxscores
I have a habit of saving my summary/score sheets...I'm on PC so it's really easy to do in the moment, to archive, and access.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Rookie

didak7's Arena

Thanks again for your summations on those teams. Will give the Jazz another crack tonight. Looking forward to it. I'm only 13 cards off Horry now so just a couple more games away then I'll chuck him in, his card looks very good.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Rookie

Golden State Warriors...so tough!

Sometimes I can keep it close for long, but ultimately they (Durant, Curry) just start hitting 3s.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »