Home

If my online opponents all use 2k cam (or similar) - am I always doomed?

This is a discussion on If my online opponents all use 2k cam (or similar) - am I always doomed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
If my online opponents all use 2k cam (or similar) - am I always doomed?

I've never dug an overhead style camera, and use "broadcast" type cameras only. While installing the game, I liked "Nosebleeds" a lot, then practiced for 2-3 hours, got online, and was surprised and disappointed to see after downloading/installing/practicing for that long, I dig into the only mode I'll ever play (online head-to-head) and I can't use it (?)!

Anyhow, I know all my online opponents use a 2k (or similar) view because they're constantly (100%, all the time) pushing the ball up hard on every possession. Just running, running, running. I'm not digging it, as it puts me at an unfair advantage that I can't see up court on defense, or even on my own offense possessions.

What am I to do? I don't take any satisfaction from playing the CPU, never have even as a kid playing games in the 1980's. I'm trying to mimic what I see on TV as far as what it looks like (strictly speaking of camera angle on this point). Am I just screwed unless I learn to love the overhead style cameras? I've been alive long enough to know I won't learn to love them, and am past the point of even considering it. I'm faced with this every year and I'm surprised that I keep having to remember every year that this is a major problem. I must have a terrible memory.

I think online play should give me an option to filter out opponents with 2k cam. Like 2k cam (and all other overhead, full court views) are selectable and enforced for both players, or not useable for either player.

Also, how many years now must I sit idle while my opponent pauses and goes through options? In NBA Live 10, if the opponent paused, I had the option to also do the same - which killed two birds with one stone -- I'm no longer sitting idle and frozen to my opponent, and also eliminated the need for more wasted time when I subsequently hit "pause" at my first chance after his unfreeze.

While I'm on it, let me SAVE my settings or official lineup (so long as no one in the lineup is injured or traded of course). Why do I gotta waste a strangers time for every game when I'm just changing or correcting the settings to the same values for every damn game?

Last edited by bakesalee; 09-18-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: If my online opponents all use 2k cam (or similar) - am I always doomed?

I'm a broadcast user as well, just doesn't feel good playing 2k, but it kills me online too
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Shouldn't be an issue if you're set to limit transition.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

I've been in the same boat the last few years. 2K8-2K11 you could definitely run games on broadcast and feel like you had just as many advantages/disadvantages as a 2K player had. All the cameras used to be fairly balanced. But the shot stick / right stick has become emphasized more and more every year, and as a result, the broadcast/sideline cameras have become less and less accurate every year.

I understand the allure of the behind-the-back camera, but I've rarely played organized basketball in my life. I understand the game through my television (and, these days, Youtube scouting supercuts) and thus it feels most natural to me to play the game from the sidelines. It's also more engaging, cinematic, visually pleasing, however you'd like to frame it. But the controls don't respond the same way they do on the 2K camera, nor do they feel as natural. From broadcast view, it often makes more physical sense to push the shot stick left or right to do a thing that's up or down on 2K camera, but you don't always do that thing because the game is busy trying to figure out what your intentions are.

Plus, aside from all that, as you said there's the issue of your defense getting caught off guard by your opponent. I've begun to notice this year that the CPU even takes advantage of this at times, whereas before it would almost always do you the courtesy of walking the ball across mid court.

It's doubly odd because 2K puts so much marketing emphasis on their broadcast cameras, and all of their camera innovations (areana specific angles, Beluba Cam, Winners Win Cam) are all rooted in broadcast. Yet the game is so clearly designed for 2K/High Cam...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Zooming out the broadcast generic cam -2 helps a lot...thats how I run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Zooming out the broadcast generic cam -2 helps a lot...thats how I run.
I'll give that a shot, thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

What bums me out is that I like the "turbo" camera but I can't use it online, 2k is the closest but I can never seem to get it to fully match turbo cam. I like blaming defense down and offense up. I don't like the camera flip and when I turn it off I can't get it to always stay defense down offense up.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

I have a different problem. I want to use broadcast generic but the zoom in the paint constantly makes me sick. We use to have the option to toggle off zoom in the paint on broadcast but at some point in time it became forced. It is greyed out with N/A with no abilty to toggle off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »