Home

Restoring the Roar - a Detroit Lions Franchise (M17)

This is a discussion on Restoring the Roar - a Detroit Lions Franchise (M17) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Restoring the Roar - a Detroit Lions Franchise (M17)

Welcome to my Detroit Lions Franchise in Madden 17!

House Rules:
Sliders - Flazko's
Play Style - Offense only
Platform - XBox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Rookie

Year 1 Summary - 2016-17 Season

Offseason
Going into the season, I was focused on running the ball and controlling the clock in that way. I promoted Ameer Abdullah to starting running back based on youth, speed, and explosiveness. Theo Riddick will still be valuable and involved. I trust Stafford, but it's time for him to step up.

Regular Season
The season turned out rougher than I would have hoped. We started off 2-2, but then went on a 5 game slide. The second half of the season wasn't much better. We ended up 4-12 at the end of the year, but Jim Caldwell held on to his job. Ameer Abdullah thrived with his newfound starting role and grew in confidence as the season went on. He ended up with 15 TDs and over 1400 yards. Theo Riddick chipped in with 500+ yards. We really struggled passing with Stafford in year 1. He ended up with something like 20 TDs and 20 INTs. Woof. I'll give Stafford another year prove himself or else it's time to look to the future (after all, it's mostly my fault since I haven't played Madden in years).

Defensively, we were horrendous. Our front seven needs some serious retooling. Besides Ansah, the D line had a poor year and I could use a stronger MLB. Definitely will be a focus in the upcoming draft this offseason.

Playoffs
In league news, the Kansas City Chiefs beat Green Bay Packers in a nail biter. The final was 25-24 in this year's Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers was MVP on the year, but couldn't bring home the title.

Year 1 in the books and these Lions are already forgetting about it's awfulness.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Rookie

Year 2 Summary - 2017-18 Season

Offseason/Draft
In the draft, I focused on beefing up the defense first as mentioned in my last post. We had a top two pick and went with Myles Garrett out of Texas A&M to torment QBs opposite of Ansah. The defensive focus carried into the second round as I took Alabama MLB Reuber Foster. (I renamed most of the top draft picks to correlate with real prospects). Later in the draft, I focused on offense. I picked up Jake Butt (Michigan) as Brandon Pettigrew decided to move on. I also drafted Speedy Noil (Texas A&M) as Boldin retired. Other notable picks by other teams - McCaffery went to the Oakland, Deshaun Watson went to the Jets, Jabrill Peppers to the Steelers, Brad Kaaya to the Texans, and Leonard Fournette to the Bears.

I was excited to continue the success with Abdullah in 2017-18. He moved into the upper echelon of RBs in the NFL, but he broke his collarbone in the final preseason game. Looks like we won't see him until Week 7.

Regular Season
Without our best offensive weapon, the year got off to a promising start. In my first game on the road against the 49ers, Stafford threw for 4 TDs (2 INTs) and we took home the win in a tight contest.

We matched our year 1 win total by Week 7 at 4-3. Ameer came back with attitude and tore up the league through the air and ground helping the Lions to a 5 game win streak. Just when we were on a high, he got injured again! We went on a three game slide and the Packers were catching up to us in the division. We ended up controlling our own destiny in the final game of the year versus the Bengals (Packers 1 GB). Went down to the wire and we pulled out the victory and clinched a playoff berth by kicking in a last second FG (38-35).

Notable Season Stats/Facts:
- Stafford bounced back with a great year: 4000+ yards and over 30 TDs. He also decided he didn't want to re-sign at the end of the year so I had to franchise him. He must have heard he was on a short lease and wanted to stick it to me after a good year.
- My top draft pick, Myles Garrett (LE) won defensive rookie of the year with 12.5 sacks
- Browns went 0-16
- Golden Tate had over 1000 yards rec and 8 TDs. Marvin Jones was injured most of the year letting my rookie WR (Speedy Noll) step in and grab 9 TDs over the year. Jake Butt also got some reps with Ebron injured and grabbed 2 TDs.

Playoffs
Our Wildcard playoff game was against the Panthers who we beat during our 5 game win streak 26-9. They were determined to not see that happen again. They came out and completely threw us off our game. Stafford couldn't handle the varied looks the defense game him and tossed 5 INTs in the game. It was out of hand by early in the 3rd. We ended up losing 49-17 at home. Rough end to a great season.

Tom Brady decided to retire after winning another Super Bowl.

Year 3 will see even more optimism after a playoff appearance for the Lions.

Last edited by lyonsjor; 09-14-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Rookie

Year 3 Summary - 2018-19 Season

Offseason/Draft
- Tried to beef up the interior D line since Ngata decided to bounce. Ended up getting two 78 rated DT, Daylon Mack in the 1st round (Texas A&M) and Trent Thompson in the 4th (Georgia).
- I drafted a QB to replace Stafford, if he decides to depart, Mason Randolph out of Oklahoma State (78 OVR).
- Other notable rookie players: Josh Rosen (SD), Cameron Smith, LJ Scott (Pats), Jake Browning, DeShone Kizer (Arizona), Calvin Ridley (SF), Adren Key (Miami).

Regular Season
Going into year 3, I was feeling optimistic. We just came off of a division winning year at 10-6. We lost in the wild card game big, but that was a big improvement from my first season at 4-12. I set my expectations for another 10 win season.

The team was mostly healthy besides Marvin Jones who struggled to stay on the field all year. I signed Paul Richardson early on to replace Jones's production. It seemed like the defensive gameplans finally caught on to my running success throughout last year and started to anticipate outside runs. It became tough for Riddick and Abdullah to get any solid yardage outside. I eventually started to rely more on Stafford and inside runs with varying results. We couldn't string together a series of wins more than 3 games and often dropped two in a row. Towards the end of the season, Stafford stepped up delivering back to back 400+ yard performances. The next game, he stunk up the joint with 5 INTs at halftime, leading me to insert backup/rookie QB Mason Randolph who played well.

I went back with Stafford as I think he is the best chance to win overall. I ended up getting him to sign a long-term extension after franchising him. Also, Tate and Abdullah were locked up long term.

Down the stretch, we were in the final Wild Card spot with two or three teams breathing down our neck and putting the pressure on the Lions. In the final game of the year, we were able to secure a wild card by handling the Dolphins easily thanks to some good running.

Season Awards/Notes
- Aaron Rodgers won his 2nd MVP in the last 3 years
- The Jags finished the year with the best record (14-2)
- Stafford threw for 3600 yards, 30 TDs, and 18 INTs
- Abdullah ended up with just over 1000 yards
- Tate and Paul Richardson ended up hauling in just over 800 yards each
- Myles Garrett ended up with 14.5 sacks

Playoffs
In our opening playoff game in the wild card, we faced the Rams who we lost to earlier in the season. The Lions D showed up and held the Rams to 13 points offensively. Abdullah broke one large run for a TD, but didn't have a ton of success otherwise, but it was enough for a tight 20-13 win.

The divisional matchup saw us face the dreaded Falcons offense. In two or three games against these cronies over the last three years, they have dropped 40 points each time. My defense struggled again facing them on the road. Freeman ended up rushing for 280 yards and 3 TDs. Early on, I could tell that their approach was to not let me get off on the running game so we quickly switched into air attack mode. The first half ended with us down 27-7. The second half got a little crazy. Stafford threw all over the field and connected frequently with Paul Richardson. They hooked up for 274 yards and 3 TDs. With under two minutes left, Stafford pulled off another long drive to tie the game up at 42 and we headed into OT. Neither side was able to gain an advantage in OT until about 5 minutes left in the game. Stafford methodically moved the ball down the field and mixed in a couple of inside runs to put us in FG range. We ended up kicking the FG with about 4 minutes left and it sailed through sending us to the NFC Champ game! Stafford ended the game with a whopping 495 yards, 6 TDs, and 2 INTs. I only managed 50 yards on the ground.

The NFC championship was an all NFC North affair as the Lions traveled to Lambeau field to face MVP Aaron Rodgers and company. During the regular season, we split with each team winning at home. Now in the frozen tundra, it was certain to become a defensive struggle. Early on, Golden Tate provided a much-needed boost by scoring two first-half TDs. The Packers were game, however, as they notched two FGs. Late in the 3rd quarter, my Lions were driving deep in Green Bay territory, but a mistaken throw resulted in a red zone INT by Stafford. Rodgers took advantage of the costly TO and scored a TD making it 14-12. GB missed the 2 point conversion. Mid 4th quarter and the Lions are driving again, but are stopped short of making it too deep in GB territory and they have to settle for a 55 FG attempt in some wind. Matt Prater nails the tough kick making it 17-12. The 5 point spread proved to be huge moments later. With about 2 minutes left in the game, the Pack are in the red zone, but are forced to go for it on a 4th down play. They can no longer take the lead with a FG due to the 55 kick earlier and have to attempt a 4th down effort. Lions backup DE Zettel ends up sacking Rodgers and the Lions run the clock out as they advance to the Super Bowl to face the Cincinnati Bengals (9-6-1) who knocked off the Jags (14-2).

Super Bowl 53 is hosted in Miami and it appears that the Lions might have a tough one on their hands. The Bengals score a TD on their opening drive. Then, Ameer Abdullah explodes in the first half. Off of an early TO for the Bengals, he runs left for a 15 yard TD. Then, after getting the ball back, he rips off a huge 75 yard TD. After a stalled Lions drive deep in their own territory, the Bengals strike back and block a punt for a safety, 14-9 Lions. The 2nd quarter we throw a screen pass to the right and Abdullah is all alone again for an 80 yard TD. Next possession with under two minutes left in the half, I run a seam route play and somehow the Bengals let Ameer get behind their DBs for an 81 yard passing TD, his fourth overall TD of the first half. The Bengals then quickly run down the field to get another first half TD. With only 30 seconds left in the, I elect to run a slam play up the middle with Theo Riddick to get to half time, but wait, there is a giant hole and Theo runs for 75 yards for the TD! An insane half of football with my Lions up 42-16. The second half is more subdued with the Lions playing it safe on the ground and the Bengals getting nothing going due to Myles Garrett and his 3 sacks. Final score ends up 48-19, Lions win! Abdullah ends up with 182 rushing yards, 161 rec yards, 5 TDs, and obviously the Super Bowl MVP. Riddick ends up with 115 yards and a TD of his own.

What a crazy year, ladies and gentlemen. Now we will see how the Lions do with the target on their backs.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Year 4 Summary - 2019-20 Season

Offseason/Draft
Coming off of a surprise Super Bowl run and win, I thought I would mostly focus on depth and addressing a hole at free safety in my defensive backfield. On the free agent market, I picked up Jeremy Langford to be my 3rd RB since Theo Riddick and Ameer Abdullah have been known to get hampered with various injuries. In league news, Carson Palmer signed with the Bears making them into a viable playoff team.

With the last pick in the 1st round of the NFL draft, I selected Marcus Williams (FS) out of Utah. It turned out to be an awesome pick. He is 78 overall with Superstar progression.

Regular Season
It was different being the ones with the target on our back all year and we had a tough schedule to open up the season. We started 3-2 and faced the improved Bears early on. Fournette and Palmer proved to be lethal and they handled us at home. Marvin Jones (again) and Eric Ebron were also injured early on making it tough to move the ball through the air.

As those two returned, we picked up steam. We won 8 out of 10 games going into Week 16. This would be the first year that I would sweep the Packers. I also swept the Vikings and split with the Bears. With just a couple of weeks to go, the Bears, Pack, and the Lions were vying for the division. The Bears would stumble at the finish line though, losing their last two games. Both the Pack and my Lions won out. In the Lions final game, we stomped on the Panthers in the first half sealing the NFC North. The final standings were:
Lions (11-5)
Packers (10-5-1)
Bears (9-6-1)
Vikings (6-9-1)

Regular Season Stats/Awards
- Stafford had his best year with 4500 yards (4th in league), 38 TDs (3rd in league), and 19 INTs
- Abdullah had 1300 yards rushing (8th in league), 437 rec yards, and 14 total TDs
- Theo Riddick added 750 yards
- Golden Tate had 1000 rec yards and 11 TDs, Paul Richardson had just under 1000 yards this year
- Reuben Foster had 147 tackles and 4 INTs which earned him the NFC Defensive MVP in his third year in the NFL
- Ziggy Ansah (16 sacks) and Myles Garrett (15.5 sacks) scared the daylights out of opposing QBs
- Lions ended up 3rd in Offense and 9th in Defense overall
- Andy Dalton played well coming off a Super Bowl loss and took home his first MVP for the Bengals with a league leading 44 TDs, 4000 yards, and 8 INTs
- Aaron Rodgers threw for 5000+ yards and 40 TDs

Playoffs
After getting a week of rest with our bye, the Lions faced off against the New York Giants. Earlier in the year, the Giants handled Stafford early on forcing fumbles and INTs. Then, after a furious comeback by the Lions, the Giants kicked a last second FG to win at home 34-31. Round two was another tough game. The Giants started with an opening drive FG. Then, Stafford threw an INT leading to a Giants TD. Half way through the 2nd, I kicked a FG to make it 10-3, but then two late and stupid INTs from Stafford made it 20-3 at half. I came out with a quick strike passing TD to narrow the gap, but the Giants D was too stingy. Down 29-17 with under 2 minutes and deep in the red zone, Eric Ebron sealed my fate by dropping a 4th down pass that would have made it a one-score game with all of my timeouts remaining. A disappointing end to the season for the defending champs.

The Giants would go on to make the Super Bowl to face the New England Patriots. Jacoby Brissett led the Pats to a route of the NYG, 44-7. He threw 3 TDs and no picks. Eli threw 3 INTs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Rookie

Year 5 Summary - 2020-21 Season

Offseason/Draft
Four years of team building has enabled the Lions to shore up a lot of holes, especially on defense. In free agency, we added an important piece to the puzzle in a CB opposite of Darius Slay, Jason Verrett. In the draft, we added some offensive firepower with our first pick, WR Villareal Brazell (80 ovr). We also added a strong safety to pair with our up and coming superstar FS Marcus Williams (now 87 ovr), Pat McKinnon (78ovr).

Regular Season
This Lions team felt like the best yet, as far as assembled talent goes. They had depth at most positions and chemistry to boot. We started out 4-1 with easy victories.

The best game of the year was a rematch against the NYG. We dropped our last two games against the Giants including last years close defeat in the playoffs. It was another competitive game, all the way to the finish. In the mid 4th, we were down 3 deep in the NYG territory. Stafford drops back for a pass and is blindsided and fumbles, recovered by the Giants and returned to midfield before Abdullah has a TD saving tackle. The Lions defense would hold on to give up only a FG, Lions down 30-24. The next possession for us isn't much better as it results in a turnover on downs. We get one more chance with 40 seconds to go in the game and no timeouts. After a first down incompletion, the second down play was a big completion to the 50-yard line. Time is expiring, but Stafford got the team set and hiked the ball with time expiring. He bombs it left to the end zone to Speedy Noil. The ball sailed just out of his reach, but wait, a flag. Defensive pass interference on the Giants. The final play of the game was an untimed down at the 1 yard line. Stafford tossed a pass to Jake Butt on a drag for the TD and tied it up. The PAT was good and we escaped with a win, 31-30.

The Bears continued to be much improved and gave me trouble on the ground in each matchup. They ended up sweeping us. Also, during the year, we started to feel a salary cap squeeze. We had to pay big money to resign some good draft picks and getting a stout corner like Verrett wasn't cheap. I traded off Riddick and several others to open up some cap room.

As the year wound down, the Packers and Lions once again the cream of the crop in the division. But this year, they were also the cream of the crop in the NFC. They had the top two records with the Pack clinching the division and us clinching a playoff birth before Week 17. Starting the backups in Week 17, we still end up with a win and 12-4 overall.

Season Stats and Awards

- Stafford threw for 3800 yards (15th in the NFL), 28 TDs, and 14 INTs
- Abdullah ran for 1200 yards, caught 458 rec yards, and 13 TDs
- Brazell had a big rookie year with 806 yards, 5 TDs, and 53 rec. It was good for 3rd in the offensive rookie of the year race
- Lions ended up 9th in Offense and 2nd in Defense
- Aaron Rodgers has another huge year and takes home the MVP trophy with 4900 yards, 50 TDs, and 15 INTs (Packers went 13-3)

Playoffs
In the Wildcard game, we traveled to one of our least favorite places, Atlanta. We went down big early and could not stop their rushing attack. The Lions fought back valiantly, however, answering score after score. But we couldn't get within 6 points with less than two minutes to go in the game. With our playcalling out of wack (38 passes, 8 rushes), the Falcons defeated us yet again. Freeman had 200 yards on 40 rushes. Stafford ended up with 385 yards and 2 TDs.

The Super Bowl saw the Packers square off against the Ravens. The Ravens had a big year after signing last year's Super Bowl MVP, Jacoby Brissett. It was another great Super Bowl, going into OT. On the opening drive of OT, Jacoby took the Ravens down the field and ended it with a TD. Brissett (328 yards, 4 TDs) and JuJu Smith-Schuster (142 yards, 3TDs) were co MVPs. Aaron Rodgers had 3 TDs and 1 INT with 317 yards in another Super Bowl loss.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Rookie

Year 6 Summary - 2021-22 Season (Part I)

Offseason/Draft
As I mentioned before, we were finally feeling the effects of a squeezing salary cap coming into this offseason. It resulted in the Lions losing quite a bit of depth at several positions. Below are some key players that departed in free agency:
- Marvin Jones (WR)
- Paul Richardson (WR)
- Speedy Noil (WR)
- Shaq Roland (WR)
- Desmond King (CB)
- Matt Prater (K)
- Sam Martin (P)

Luckily, we were able to sign back a couple of these players in FA (Noil and Prater). Going into the draft, we were targeting the positions below:
- WR: early pick (losing Jones, Richardson, plus Tate regressed significantly)
- OL: early pick (needed depth bad)
- CB: early/mid pick (beef up our depth due to King's departure)
- HB: mid/late pick (Traded away Riddick for cap room)
- QB: late pick (only had 2 QBs on the roster)

With those targets in mind, we had a decent haul. Most notably, we found a couple of late draft gems at HB and LOLB. Below are the notable ones:
- 1st Round: RT (75 OVR)
- 2nd: WR (73 - Jon Wiley), CB (76)
- 5th: LOLB (73 with quick trait), HB (73 with 94 speed - Deion Clinton)
- 7th: HB (71 power back - Hudson Baugher)

Going into the preseason, we had a couple of interesting position battles to watch. The first one was for our 3rd string QB. We had a traditional pocket passer that I took in the 7th round and an undrafted FA mobile QB. The mobile QB came out on fire and threw 3 TDs and ran in another during the first preseason game winning him the spot. At RB, the battle between Hudson and Deion was closer, but Clinton's speed proved too impressive. He even supplanted Jeremy Langford as the team's new 3DRB and backup.

Regular Season

Week 1 @ Green Bay Packers
- Week 1 was an insane game. As was the case last year, the Packers are great offensively, but horrendous on defense. Abdullah started red hot and was running all over the field. He ended up with 270 yards and 4 TDs. Deion Clinton in his first game as a pro chipped in 110 yards and 2 TDs. Even with that production on the ground, Aaron Rodgers matched us and torched our thinner secondary. With under a minute left, the Pack kicked a FG to put them up for good, 55-52.

Week 2 vs. San Francisco 49ers
- This game was much closer than expected. The 49ers were expected to have another down year, but they ended up knocking out Stafford in the 1st half enabling them to keep it close. Mason Rudolph stepped in to lead us to a 3 point win. Rudolph was not very impressive, but did enough. After the game, it was confirmed that Stafford would miss significant time to start the year. He is out 5 weeks with a dislocated knee.

Week 3 @ Pittsburgh Steelers
- The Steel Curtain came out ready to defend their home turf. Their gameplan was to focus heavily on stopping the Lions run game and make Rudolph beat them through the air. Initially, it worked. We could get nothing going on the ground, but our defense kept us in the game. In the 2nd half, the run game wore them down a bit, opening up the opportunity for a deep PA touchdown to Brazell on the left side. At the end of regulation, however, the Steelers would send the game into OT with a FG. We won the toss, but went 3 and out to start OT. My new rookie punter (Phil Devoe) pinned them deep in their own territory. The next play was a safety and the game was over.

Week 4 vs. Tampa Bay Bucs
- Rudolph's stat line was deceiving this game (280 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs). His two TDs came off of short pass plays by a HB screen and a WR drag. His two INTs were awful. The defense again saved us with a pick late in the 4th to pull off a close game.

Week 5 vs. Cleveland Browns
- With Rudolph's shaky play in the last few games and a weak opponent at home, I decided to start our rookie QB (Cooper) to see how he would fair. Cooper could not have asked for a better start to his NFL career. The Browns immediately turned it over deep in their own territory leading to a short TD pass to Brazell. Brazell added another TD in the second quarter. Clinton continued to impress with a 70 yard TD up the middle right before halftime. Cooper also added a rush TD and a bomb late in the 4th. His stat line read 228 yards, 4 total TD (3 pass, 1 rush). His only real mistake was a sack, fumble that was returned for a TD. Lions win, 42-10.

Week 6 vs. Cincinnati Bengals
- Cooper's second game was much closer, but no less impressive for the rookie. He won an OT game with a FG drive.

Week 7 @ Chicago Bears
- Cooper's toughest test would come against Baker Mayfield's Bears (7-1) on the road on Monday Night Football. It was an awful game all around for the Lions. Cooper struggled mightily with 4 fumbles and we lost the league's leading rusher, Ameer Abdullah for 5 weeks with a dislocated elbow. The Bears won easily at home.

Week 8 vs. Green Bay Packers
- After a tough game on the road, we were happy to be home. Stafford was finally healthy again and it was time for a prime time Thanksgiving game against a struggling Pack crew (3-6). What a difference, Stafford made. The first quarter saw two TD passes for a fast start. The second quarter, he didn't slow down. He ended up with 275 yards and 5 TDs in the first half. Deion Clinton also made his first start count with 148 yards and a TD. Stafford sat the 4th, but ended up with 6 TDs and 318 yards in a 48-17 Turkey Day win.

Week 10 vs. Chicago Bears
- We were happy to have a bye before we faced off against the Bears since they killed us last game. This time, it was a defensive struggle at home. Late in the third, it was 13-6 Lions until two big plays broke the game wide open. A 75 yard rush by Clinton and a 50 yard catch by Brazell made it the Lions game to lose. A pick six in the late fourth sealed it, 34-19.

Week 11 @ Minnesota Vikings
- The 2-9 Vikes kept it close early, but by halftime it was all over. 42-10 for the Lions.

Week 12 @ Baltimore Ravens
- A stiff test on the rough against the defending Super Bowl champs who were 9-3. The Ravens and Lions boasted top offenses, but the Ravens also had the #1 rush defense. It started off interesting as we took the opening drive down for a FG. Then, they answered with a TD. The next drive they blocked my punt for a TD. Then, we answer with a TD for Speedy Noil. A TD to Golden Tate before half made it 24-21 Lions. The second half continued to be a back and forth affair, but we pulled it out on the road thanks to some timely first down runs with Clinton and two FGs from Prater, 37-28.

With only 5 games left on the year, we are 9-2 and battling with the Bears for top billing in the NFC North. Stay tuned to find out how the rest of the season goes!

XB1 Gamertag - SupaSpartan24

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »