Home

Terrible Cornerbacks plague game

This is a discussion on Terrible Cornerbacks plague game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 09-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Terrible Cornerbacks plague game

Am I the only person who has terrible cornerbacks in my madden? No matter who they are, a 99 or a 70 corner, slants and fly routes are just money for the computer. I do understand that 1 v 1 coverage is going to go to the offense more but nothing hurts more than constantly doing DB adjustments to guard inside or overtop and getting beating by those same exact routes every time. What's the point of having a revis or Peterson if you have to baby sit them?
Washington Redskins
Chris Paul & John Wall
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Terrible Cornerbacks plague game

I only play user vs user but I can partially agree. Revis vs Alshon Jeffery ended with AJ having 200 yards off of 5 aggressive catches. OBJ vs a corner of the same overall means OBJ vs a ghost. In order for me to get my corners to play well, I have to user them at some point of the play. Sometimes I have to back them 15 yards off of the receiver to get them to cover a check route. Other times I have to move the, 3 yards inside to take away the slant. 9/10 times they get beat on corner and drag routes. Basically, man to man across the board is impossible. I can only run man if I have zone coverage above and below. The best corners on this game have to have help in every situation.

With that said, I do enjoy the fact that I can beat a great corner, but the problem is that it happens too often. Patrick Peterson and Tyrann are by far the best corners in the game and it's only because of their speed ratings. Revis' 80 something speed just isn't enough to run with anyone in the 90's. The problem is that even when I tell my defense to play overtop, they still get beat deep. Playing overtop should help prevent flies and post routes but it doesn't. Playing underneath should help stop check and corner routes but it doesn't. Corners have almost 0 awareness of down and distance, and continue to get beat on the most simple of assignments. The flat, corner, fly combo is unguardable in man to man simply because either the corner or fly defender will get beat everytime. In real life, the WR's with the most yards usually play some slot receiver to get away from good corners, but on Madden any corner will get beat 75% of the time by any receiver.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideout1234
Am I the only person who has terrible cornerbacks in my madden? No matter who they are, a 99 or a 70 corner, slants and fly routes are just money for the computer. I do understand that 1 v 1 coverage is going to go to the offense more but nothing hurts more than constantly doing DB adjustments to guard inside or overtop and getting beating by those same exact routes every time. What's the point of having a revis or Peterson if you have to baby sit them?
run more cover two - tampa type coverage. u on ps-4 ? message me, as I have a great defensive pb that really improves cpu play. I ripped out many cruddy plays.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Pro

Is there a way to turn off user aggressive catch and make it more up to the individual players ratings?
Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

Man coverage just continues to be broken. It is a joke, it can be used at times but you absolutely have to be careful of what you do. That said, I play in 32 user CFMs and you can tell when virtually no one runs man on 3rd downs or late in close games because it is too easy to beat.

If the shading audibles actually worked it might be viable, but until then it remains a completely broken part of the game. The OP was worried about OBj, Brown, etc winning against Revis and Sherman. I use Houston, sure Hopkins wins a lot, but I'll take Miller vs Revis on an out route or flag route, and happily take my first down and a lot more if you don't have a safety deep.

I keep a list, currently these plays are automatic vs Man coverage regardless of WR/DB ratings:
Drag, Slant, Post, Out, Flag

If you have good timing on passing, and/or good OL protection these also work virtually every time.
Curl, Fly, In, Corner, Wheel

The sad part is the list of plays that don't work against man.... primarily the plays designed to beat man in real life.
Zig/Zag, Sluggo, Comeback (results vary, often picked).

That list covers just about every route you can find in madden, and essentially all pass plays contain at least one of those routes, meaning that if you read man coverage quickly enough, you know you have an open target and generally a lot of yards.

The only way I'm having any real success with man coverage is by setting defense to base (just don't be in press), using overtop shading, then hot route my strong side safety to flat, and weak side to hook, and I'll user the hook to try and help cover a weak side TE/WR out/corner route if they break that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I actually feel that having a good corner makes a significant difference this year. Throwing at Sherman is entirely different than throwing at Brandon Carr.

Madden 17 as a whole though is really more playcall vs playcall - having better players will make certain things easier yes, however, if the correct playcall isn't made generally it doesn't matter who you have out there. This especially applies to the cornerback position.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
MVP

mjavon's Arena

To address the two routes the OP mentioned:

Slants - are supposed to beat man coverage
Verticals - I do agree that WR's win too many 9-routes. It seems to me like press coverage is not nearly effective enough in this year's game. If the CPU lines up in press on the outside with no safety over the top, I can hot route to a fly route and complete a deep ball 75-80% of the time.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
Rookie

Kentaurus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
To address the two routes the OP mentioned:

Slants - are supposed to beat man coverage
Verticals - I do agree that WR's win too many 9-routes. It seems to me like press coverage is not nearly effective enough in this year's game. If the CPU lines up in press on the outside with no safety over the top, I can hot route to a fly route and complete a deep ball 75-80% of the time.
I don't have a problem with slants beating man, typically they should. However the problem is they should not win if I audible the DBs to inside shade, yet they still do. Likewise audible to outside shade should stop Corners, Flags, Outs, but it doesn't.

And again, I've yet to notice any real difference on all-madden between Revis/Sherman and Joe Scrub for most routes.

Last edited by Kentaurus; 09-07-2016 at 07:17 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »