Home

Likelyhood of defensive matchups?

This is a discussion on Likelyhood of defensive matchups? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Likelyhood of defensive matchups?

So if there's one thing I've learned in my limited time playing, it's that having good corners/supplementing for having good corners is important to not giving up big plays.

I'm running a Bears franchise and I decided to reaarange to team to go back to my favorite lovie smith days with the cover 2. I picked up Charles Tillman as a FA and immediately learned that if I dont just have him press and play his blue zone he will get burned by any decent wr.

But here's the problem. For some reason (or maybe on purpose idk) CPU best WR's are always lined up against him! The only way to fix this is I assume to put him lower on the depth chart.

Still it would be nice to see the return of defensive matchups so that I can keep fuller (who is admittedly not much better) on the best WR.

It'd also be nice if I could make it so a particular outside linebacker lines up on the strong side of the ball each snap. Defense is definitely more fun this year, but it still needs some better tweaks.

I remember some Dev Tweets insinuating that they could patch it in. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Likelyhood of defensive matchups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
So if there's one thing I've learned in my limited time playing, it's that having good corners/supplementing for having good corners is important to not giving up big plays.

I'm running a Bears franchise and I decided to reaarange to team to go back to my favorite lovie smith days with the cover 2. I picked up Charles Tillman as a FA and immediately learned that if I dont just have him press and play his blue zone he will get burned by any decent wr.

But here's the problem. For some reason (or maybe on purpose idk) CPU best WR's are always lined up against him! The only way to fix this is I assume to put him lower on the depth chart.

Still it would be nice to see the return of defensive matchups so that I can keep fuller (who is admittedly not much better) on the best WR.

It'd also be nice if I could make it so a particular outside linebacker lines up on the strong side of the ball each snap. Defense is definitely more fun this year, but it still needs some better tweaks.

I remember some Dev Tweets insinuating that they could patch it in. Has anyone heard anything about this?
I would say there's a 0-1% chance that defensive assignments get patched in for 17, and a 55% chance they make it in for 18. It's a massive undertaking.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I would say there's a 0-1% chance that defensive assignments get patched in for 17, and a 55% chance they make it in for 18. It's a massive undertaking.
This seems about right.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Sucks to hear that, but what makes the undertaking so massive?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
if you havent noticed everything we seem to ask for is a massive undertaking according to ea. thats why its always "we didnt have time" ...."maybe next yr" for the past decade or so. formation subs just now coming back should be the only proof u need to know theres no chance for def assignments this yr. im honestly suprised that even made it in at all this yr. glad its here tho so ill take 1 for 2
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Coding these things aren't easy. As someone who spent years as a GM of a fan made Pokemon game, seeing how hard it was to code something complicated in, opened my eyes to my expectations of these games. It might not seem like much, but I assume getting to code it properly and not have it break (like lets say you assign revis to bryant, and then bryant gets off the field.. who would it have revis guard? the principle sounds easy, set an "if, then" string, but the hard part is getting it to fit with the rest of the coding. I do think if they're motivated they can get it done for 17, but itll definitely be in madden 18.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Rookie

BB_Dynasty's Arena

This is the last big thing to make Madden complete for me. I understand with all the new features and coding it's a major undertake, but I believe it is something they should focus on. Would add so much more to the strategy of the game.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
See the post a couple of posts above mine. I think the primary issue now is with the new pattern matching zones. Some of those convert to man coverage so I think the big problem might have been not having the AI go crazy when a zone coverage suddenly turned to man.

It needs to be re-written from scratch to fit with all the new stuff they've done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »