Home

Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules"

This is a discussion on Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules" within the Madden NFL Football Online forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules"

So with a new iteration of Madden coming out soon, I've began the process of attempting to get myself in a couple leagues that are active and try to maintain a game state that best attempts to replicate what happens on an actual football field. However many of the leagues I run across, have "No Switch" rules and I just don't really understand their utility. I'm hoping to engage in some healthy debate from those who prefer these rules as to why you hold that view.

So I think these rules can be broken down into pre snap and post snap rules. Now pre snap rules I understand a bit more. Because of the games blocking system and gap assignment logic ( which should be greatly improved in 17) I can understand why it may seem logical to want to render certain guys immobile to stop certain blitz setups. But there are certain adjustments independent of blitzing that this also stops. If I want to bring a safety into the box to help with the run or play man coverage on a TV, I'm unable to do that unless I commit to controlling that player. If I want a singular corner to play an off coverage, I'm not allowed to move him. Furthermore, almost all of these leagues have no "nano blitzing" (the definition of which may vary), if a user accepts this rule it renders the primary fear of premium snap movement ( blitz setup) moot because we've already stipulated those blitzes aren't allowed. Which should render pre snap regulations unneeded.

In regards to post snap, I feel like the origin of these rules definitively stems back to the madden of 6+ years ago where rocket catching was a prevalent tactic that was largely unguardable and incredibly overpowered. However the issue of rocket catching defining the game's offensive structure is long gone. At no point in madden 16 did the top players put out youtube videos demonstrating the stick work required to make abnormal, unintended catches that would be difficult to stop...they just hit Y or Triangle like everybody else. The new catching mechanics are an intended game feature. In fact I'd argue that by forcing the CPU to make the call on aggressive vs standard vs RAC catch and the play wr or swat rather than allowing the users to choose creates a situation where the AI struggles to play out those situations the way they're intended to play out because the user is actually designed by the game to make the play, unlike the rocket catch mechanics of years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Reasoning Behind "No Switch Rules"

It's simple.. We choose to let the AI and ratings dictate the outcome instead of user skill. Most sim leagues want ratings to be the most important factor when determining success.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Rookie

I disagree with most simple leagues wanting ratings to dictate wins and losses rather than user skill at the game. By that reasoning it would seem users would be just as content playing NFL head coach 17 and just calling the plays and letting a simulation dictate the outcome. But even so, I don't see how that applies to modern user catching. In the past, sure. It took a number of precise analog stick movements and great timing and hours in " the lab" to perfect these catches that allowed skill to solely dictate gameplan over ratings. I get wanting to prevent that. But in madden 17 we're talking about merely holding down a corresponding button. No timing, no "stick skills". Just holding a button and letting the ratings play out.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

You're missing the point. It's not the same thing as pushing a button, this is why leagues have their rules laid out, if it doesn't seem like something that works for you, you simply move on and find a league with a set of players with similar interests in play style.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Cajungodfather's Arena

It is, at least for me and our league, about letting the CPU ratings for defensive players matter. When ruling can switch from player to player, speed is the only skill that really matters. Guys just get fast LBers and switch Making easy tackles. With no switch, it takes good awareness, tackling, along with other decent attributes to make stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Rookie

I think you're missing the point of the post. I'm not petitioning anybody to let me in a league. I'm actively doing exactly what you've suggested and finding leagues that allow switching. And once again in regards to playing the ball in the air, I fail to see how it is anything different than holding a button. Maybe there was some tactic that developed last year that I'm unaware of but it seemed apparent that all people were doing was hitting the aggressive catch, possession catch, or RAC catch depending on the situation. If there's something I'm missing there, I'd be interested in hearing it.
I never thought about that speed linebacker concept. I can see that. I do think that it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that only really helps in pursuit, but it's certainly a valid point.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstandard
I think you're missing the point of the post. I'm not petitioning anybody to let me in a league. I'm actively doing exactly what you've suggested and finding leagues that allow switching. And once again in regards to playing the ball in the air, I fail to see how it is anything different than holding a button. Maybe there was some tactic that developed last year that I'm unaware of but it seemed apparent that all people were doing was hitting the aggressive catch, possession catch, or RAC catch depending on the situation. If there's something I'm missing there, I'd be interested in hearing it.
I never thought about that speed linebacker concept. I can see that. I do think that it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that only really helps in pursuit, but it's certainly a valid point.
WR traits and attributes dictate what kind of catch that WR does in various scenarios. As a result, a user can override that if they use the buttons/switch. I would prefer the traits and attributes dictate whether they go for the aggressive, possession, etc.

Also this past madden brought about a common tactic of switching and immediately "hit sticking" since there was a low chance of failure. Another reason to eliminate the switching on defense. And you can't allow switching on one side of the ball and not the other.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Rookie

I dont believe attributes have any influence on the "type" of catch a receiver attempts. That said, Has it actually been confirmed by EA that the catching traits mean anything in user games? When you go to buy a package in Cfm for a receiver the text reads "purchase this package to be able to make X catches". It's not a tendency trait like force pass where it reads " purchase this package to decrease the chance of forcing throws into double coverage" (granted I understand this definitely doesn't apply to a user controlled qb). Every wr in the game has the ability to attempt any catch in the game when a user has control of them, I don't think that changes whether or not somebody clicks on. The text of it definitely reads as an ability, not as a tendency. That said if it's a fact that those traits influence how somebody goes for a ball, I can understand that view point. Though I think it'd be worse for an NFL reliever to attempt an over the shoulder catch rather than high pointing a ball under thrown by 4 feet because it's what he tends to do.

I actually totally see the argument on the switching for tackling purposes. I don't really even have a response to it I actually think I've somewhat had my viewpoint changed on that because of this thread. I disagree the you can't allow switching on one side and not the other. Really other than passing, and pitching the ball, you can't really "switch on offense". By allowing both sides to switch on the catch, neither side really has any sort of advantage. There's no stick skill involved, imo, it's merely pushing a button and allowing the ratings to play out. I've never seen a user barred from using the defensive line which allows them to override the power/finesse bull, swim, spin rush techniques. Isn't it the same principle?

Last edited by goldstandard; 08-03-2016 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to address a point
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online »