Home

RTTS Pitching advice?

This is a discussion on RTTS Pitching advice? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
RTTS Pitching advice?

So my question is this, is there any disadvantage to making your 4sm or Running Fastball your 3rd Pitch? The way I see, the #1 pitch has the best control at the start, followed by 2 and then 3rd is far behind the other 2. Seeing as I plan on it being a 4sm, theres no movement really, so why do I need the added control from the 1st pitch slot? So long as I put the flex points to 5 in velocity when making the character, he should be able to reach 100mph, right?

I'd still prolly use it as my "number 1 pitch" but I just cant fathom how it benefits me to make it the actual #1. I see plenty of starting pitchers on the roster, especially the ones with prospects where they have a sinker or cutter or even a curveball number 1, maybe a slider 2 and then the fastball is their 3rd pitch. As far as training is concerned, its a lot harder to land a curveball for a bullseye than a fastball. Just seems genius to put the curve or slider at 1 for the better control early on in the career...

So am I correct in this thinking or does having the fb in the 3rd position degrade its ability(velocity) by not being the #1?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: RTTS Pitching advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtownwaves
So am I correct in this thinking or does having the fb in the 3rd position degrade its ability(velocity) by not being the #1?

Velocity, no. That's set by the velocity of the other pitches + the FB velocity. Position in the repertoire doesn't matter.

It might slow down the growth of command/movement (4SFB do have movement, plus the movement rating helps impact swings and misses) but otherwise, a 4SFB in the 3rd spot with 80 control and movement is just the same as in the first spot with those ratings. In one of my franchises, a pitcher as a 4SFB as his 4th or 5th (I think 5th) pitch and he throws it 98-100.

Repertoire position is, in theory, more for the CPU to "guide" usage rates at least to start (confidence, etc, will adjust it from there).
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Banned

Kblover, I ****in love ya man. You're everywhere, the man with the information. Doesnt hurt that you told me what I want to hear, but even if I was wrong, I'd still have appreciated the help as much. That settles it, time to make my own thor, but better! Lefty, with a molasses slow 12-6 curveball comparable to koufax or kershaw... Only question then is should that be#1 or the slider?

Im thinkin a 12-6, slider(no more than 8 mph slower than fb), 100mph FB, Sinker, Screwball. You read that right, ****in love the screwball. Only think I wish is I could change the 12-6 for an eephus... Always had an eephus in 2k...

Any suggestions for throwing style for a pitcher like this? Was looking at nolan ryan's motion but only because I know he threw the hardest fastball ever recorded/measured... Zach Britton has the best sinker in the business right now, and his release point is higher than anyone else who throws a sinker like his(velocity/break). Hes also a lefty so Im looking at his. Used to use Jason Motte to kind of mold after Jonny Venters back when his was the best sinker in the business.

Definitely up for suggestions if you(or anyone else) has any...

Last edited by Vtownwaves; 08-02-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Doesn't the if you have a straight chang-up, normal curve, palmball as one of your 1st 3 pitches you can only throw 100 not 102 rule still apply?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Im thinkin a 12-6, slider(no more than 8 mph slower than fb), 100mph FB, Sinker, Screwball. You read that right, ****in love the screwball. Only think I wish is I could change the 12-6 for an eephus... Always had an eephus in 2k...

Any suggestions for throwing style for a pitcher like this?

The only deliveries I could consider for a funky guy like this are the equally funky ones, and the first that comes to mind is Byung-hyun Kim (Veteran 35). I loved his delivery when he played and any guy with a slider + screwball + power fastball would look nasty coming from a true submariner. I would feel sorry for any LHB.

Though it might not look good for the 12-6, but still.

Nomo's (All-Star 16) would be a good one for this guy too (another one of my favorites when he was around). The way Nomo really whipped himself around would be fitting for this kind of pitcher.

BTW, this thread has the legend/all-star/vet deliveries, so if you have/get other ideas, you'll know which one to take a look at.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Doesn't the if you have a straight chang-up, normal curve, palmball as one of your 1st 3 pitches you can only throw 100 not 102 rule still apply?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Whether or not this still applies, this is the type of info Im lookin for. Never in a million years would I have thought of something like this... but it makes sense. I hope the answer is no though, because I want to make the greatest arm ever, not be limited by realism...

Dont blame me, blame 2k for stopping production of their series. I was content with 100+mph fastball and a 50mph Eephus. Throw in the slider screwball and sinker. Perfect Games... You cant hit that guy, thats straight cheese, just how I like it!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #7
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Whether or not this still applies, this is the type of info Im lookin for. Never in a million years would I have thought of something like this... but it makes sense. I hope the answer is no though, because I want to make the greatest arm ever, not be limited by realism...

Dont blame me, blame 2k for stopping production of their series. I was content with 100+mph fastball and a 50mph Eephus. Throw in the slider screwball and sinker. Perfect Games... You cant hit that guy, thats straight cheese, just how I like it!
Yeah idk if it still applies, might have gotten rid of it when they re-worked change up speeds
Old 08-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Found the old thread
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...em-solved.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »