Home

Is it cheating to sign high potential free agents in franchise?

This is a discussion on Is it cheating to sign high potential free agents in franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Pro

ballin095's Arena

OVR: 5
Is it cheating to sign high potential free agents in franchise?

So pretty much im at the start of the regular season and notice that there are a ton of high potential (A/B) players whom im guessing got released from teams that are available for me to sign. My question is would that be cheating of sorts to sign all of these guys to my roster? I feel like no just due to the fact that I feel as though if I don't sign these guys some other team will. Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is it cheating to sign high potential free agents in franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin095
So pretty much im at the start of the regular season and notice that there are a ton of high potential (A/B) players whom im guessing got released from teams that are available for me to sign. My question is would that be cheating of sorts to sign all of these guys to my roster? I feel like no just due to the fact that I feel as though if I don't sign these guys some other team will. Thoughts?
I don't see why it would. And if you're having to release players w/money owed due, that's more than enough punishment to pay for cheating. Which you're not. So, sign away!
Old 06-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Rookie

JoseBerrio's Arena

OVR: 0

I normally don't sign any FA for the first season since I feel is a bit unfair. However, if you feel quite uncomfortable with that, wait until another team signs a FA. In my franchise, for example, the Tigers signed Greg Holland (I don't use 30 team control). That way you won't be cheating...
Old 06-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin095

Maybe limit yourself to 1 per day? That way each sim day, CPU teams have a chance to take someone off the wire.

If they don't and you get them all in a month, c'est la vie. You gave them a sporting chance.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #5
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't generally sign players from the FA pool during the first year, because the CPU doesn't either. For example, I'm two weeks from the end of the season, playing every game, and not a single guy has been signed all season.

However, once the offseason begins, its all free game. As long as you aren't moving guys around or messing with ratings in a weird way, nothing that the game allows you to do is unfair.

Either way, in a single player game, whatever you want to do is cool, IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

If you have to ask yourself "is X cheating?" then you already know the answer, lol. You will have a guilty conscience if you do it because it already struck you somehow as being potentially unfair, hence this thread exists.

You probably want to consider a house rule to handle this to your liking so you can do as much or as little as you see fit.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I don't generally sign players from the FA pool during the first year, because the CPU doesn't either. For example, I'm two weeks from the end of the season, playing every game, and not a single guy has been signed all season.

However, once the offseason begins, its all free game. As long as you aren't moving guys around or messing with ratings in a weird way, nothing that the game allows you to do is unfair.

Either way, in a single player game, whatever you want to do is cool, IMO.
This is because the CPU rosters are already at 90 players (well this is the likely scenario).

I noticed it too then started to cut some dead weight aka "never gonna have a cup of coffee in the show" guys and FA was finally what it should be! You actually get to see the new "Big acquisition" images with guys in their new uniforms.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Thats an excellent point. If I ever start another franchise, I'll definately do that. Thank you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »